Direct Product Basis for Interacting Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of direct products in quantum mechanics and their relation to interacting systems. It is explained that the total Hilbert space of a compound system is constructed as a direct product of the subsystems' spaces, regardless of interactions. The distinction between direct product and tensor product is also clarified. Finally, the conversation explores the use of the tensor product in defining the Hamiltonian and the time evolution operator for non-interacting systems.
tommy01
Hi.

I found in a book on quantum optics (Vogel, Welsch - Quantum Optics) and also in a lecture script the following statements.

A System is composed of two subsystems (say A and B) which interact. So the total Hamiltionian is [tex]H_{AB}= H_A + H_B + H_{int}[/tex].
Nontheless the states of [tex]H_{AB}[/tex] are build up from direct products [tex]\Psi_{Ai}\otimes \Psi_{Bj}[/tex].

I always thought direct products are only allowed if there is no interaction.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is true but if there is no interaction at all, the initial state does not change with time.

An interaction, if it lasts for a limited time, makes the state evolve so the final state is different from the initial one. Think of potential scattering as an example.

Edit: Even a time dependent (evolving) state can be decomposed in eigenstates of non-interacting subsystems with variable coefficients Cj(t). Cj(∞) determines the transition amplitude to the final state |j>.

Last edited:
tommy01 said:
Hi.

I found in a book on quantum optics (Vogel, Welsch - Quantum Optics) and also in a lecture script the following statements.

A System is composed of two subsystems (say A and B) which interact. So the total Hamiltionian is [tex]H_{AB}= H_A + H_B + H_{int}[/tex].
Nontheless the states of [tex]H_{AB}[/tex] are build up from direct products [tex]\Psi_{Ai}\otimes \Psi_{Bj}[/tex].

Please help.

Your book is right. The Hilbert space of states of a compound system is build as a direct product of subsystem's spaces. This construction does not depend on interactions.

Why this is so? In my opinion, the best explanation is contained in the "quantum logic" approach to QM. In this approach, subspaces (or projections) in the Hilbert space of states are identified with experimental (or logical) "yes-no" propositions about the system. The propositions that can be formulated about the interacting systems are the same as propositions about the non-interacting system. So, their Hilbert spaces cannot be different.

tommy01 said:

You are partially right. If there are two subsystems, the total Hilbert space is denoted by
[tex]H_{A}\times H_{B}[/tex], but elements of this space are *not* generally tensor products of [tex]H_{A}[/tex] elements with [tex]H_{B}[/tex] elements. In general, an element of the total space *can* be expanded in terms of a product of a basis of [tex]H_{A}[/tex] with a basis of [tex]H_{B}[/tex]:
[tex]|\Psi>=\Sigma_{jk} c_{jk}\left( |a_{j}>\times |b_{k}> \right) [/tex], where the a's and b's are basis elements of [tex]H_{A}[/tex] and [tex]H_{B}[/tex], respectively. Only for special values of the coefficients does the sum result in [tex]|\Psi>=|\Psi_{A}>\times |\Psi_{B}>[/tex].

There are two more things to note: (1) Even without interactions, two subsystems can form a non-product, or entangled, state, such as two identical particles with spin. (2) In perturbation theory, the interaction part of a Hamiltonian is assumed to be small and we can use the states in the total Hilbert space that we would have used without the interaction term. So if the states happened to be product states [tex]|\Psi>=|\Psi_{A}>\times |\Psi_{B}>[/tex] in the non-interacting theory, we can use these as starting-point states in the perturbation theory.

First of all, it's "tensor product", not "direct product". If U, V and W are vector spaces, a bilinear function [itex]\tau:U\times V\rightarrow W[/itex] is said to be a tensor product if for every bilinear function [itex]\sigma:U\times V\rightarrow X[/itex] where X is a vector space, there's a unique linear bijection [itex]f:X\rightarrow W[/itex], such that [itex]f(\sigma(u,v))=\tau(u,v)[/itex] for all u in U and all v in V.

W is then said to be the tensor product of U and V, and we write [itex]U\otimes V[/itex] instead of W. We also write [itex]u\otimes w[/itex] instead of [itex]\tau(u,w)[/itex], and we define the scalar product on [itex]U\otimes V[/itex] by [itex]\langle u\otimes v,u'\otimes v'\rangle_{U\otimes W}=\langle u,u'\rangle_U\langle v,v'\rangle_W[/itex].

The definition guarantees that [itex]U\otimes V[/itex] is unique up to isomorphisms. To prove that a tensor product [itex]\tau:U\times V\rightarrow W[/itex] exists for arbitrary U and V is tricky. You do it by explicitly constructing a suitable space W and explicitly defining [itex]\tau[/itex]. This construction involves the following steps: Find a vector space that has a basis that can be mapped bijectively onto [itex]U\times V[/itex]. Then use it to define a vector space that consists of certain equivalence classes of vectors from the the first vector space. When U and V are Hilbert spaces, the construction involves an additional step. You define a third vector space, which consists of equivalence classes of Cauchy sequences of vectors from the second vector space.

So the construction is quite complicated, and serves no other purpose than to prove existence.

I don't know enough about quantum logic to know if it will give you the best motivation for why the tensor product is used. What I do know is that the Born rule gives you some motivation. The Born rule is the rule that says that if a system is in state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] when we measure the operator A, the probability that we will get the result [itex]a[/itex] is [itex]P(a)=|\langle a|\psi\rangle|^2[/itex]. Now consider the case where the two systems aren't interacting. The probability that the result of a simultaneous measurement of A on the first system and B on the second system will give use the results [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex], must satisfy P(a,b)=P(a)P(b), and this is automatically satisfied when we take the Hilbert space of the combined system to be the tensor product of the Hilbert spaces of the component systems.Suppose that the Hamiltonian can be expressed as [itex]H=H_1\otimes I+I\otimes H_2=H_1'+H_2'[/itex]. Here the [itex]\otimes[/itex] symbol is defined by [itex]X\otimes Y (|\psi\rangle\otimes|\phi\rangle)=X|\psi\rangle\otimes Y|\psi\rangle[/itex]. Now the time evolution operator can be expressed as

[tex]U(t)=e^{-iHt}=e^{-iH_1't}e^{-iH_2't}=e^{-iH_1t}\otimes e^{-iH_2t}=U_1(t)\otimes U_2(t)[/tex]

which means that the systems evolve completely independently of each other. This is what we would expect if and only if the systems aren't interacting, so it looks like we have found a definition of "non-interacting". The systems are "non-interacting" if the Hamiltonian can be expressed as above.

Last edited:
The rigorous quantum logical proof that the Hilbert space of a compound system is a tensor product of the component spaces can be found in

T. Matolcsi, "Tensor product of Hilbert lattices and free orthodistributive product of
orthomodular lattices", Acta Sci. Math. (Szeged) 37 (1975), 263.

D. Aerts and I. Daubechies, "Physical justification for using the tensor product to describe two quantum systems as one joint system", Helv. Phys. Acta, 51 (1978), 661.

Great.

Thanks for your answers. i hope i got it (at least partially).

@Fredrik:
Thanks for your rigorous explanation. But the Hamiltonian i wrote above can't be brought in this "non-interacting" from.

1. What is the Direct Product Basis for Interacting Systems?

The Direct Product Basis for Interacting Systems is a mathematical framework used in the study of quantum mechanical systems. It allows for the analysis of multiple systems that are interacting with each other, and helps to understand and predict their behavior.

2. How is the Direct Product Basis for Interacting Systems different from other methods?

The Direct Product Basis for Interacting Systems is unique in that it takes into account the interactions between multiple systems, rather than treating each system separately. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the dynamics and behavior of the overall system.

3. What are the advantages of using the Direct Product Basis for Interacting Systems?

One advantage is that it simplifies the calculations and analysis of complex systems, making it easier to study and understand them. Additionally, it allows for the prediction of emergent properties that may arise from the interactions between systems.

4. Can the Direct Product Basis be used for classical systems as well?

Yes, the Direct Product Basis can be applied to classical systems as well as quantum systems. It is a versatile tool that can be used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Direct Product Basis for Interacting Systems?

While the Direct Product Basis is a powerful tool, it may not be suitable for every system. In some cases, other mathematical methods may be better suited for analyzing and understanding interactions between systems. It is important to carefully consider the specific system and its properties before deciding on the best approach for analysis.