Angular Momentum Conundrum

In summary, e2m2a found that the angular momentum after a collision is 1/3 ml². He did not find the equation for the angular momentum before the collision, but he assumes that it applies after the collision. He suggests using the moment of inertia to calculate the angular momentum before and after the collision.
e2m2a
I have searched high and low on the internet for the correct equation to determine the angular velocity of a rigid body under the following circumstances, and have not been able to find one. Could someone show me the correct equation?
Suppose a long thin rigid rod lies on the surface of a cart, which initially is at rest. One end of the rod can rotate freely around a vertical axis attached to the cart. A small object prevents the rod from rotating clockwise. The cart can move parallel to the y-axis of an x-y coordinate system. The rod initially lies 45 degrees with respect to the x-axis. At some point in time we push the cart, giving the cart and rod an initial velocity equal to v. At a later point in time the cart makes an inelastic collision with a front bumper. Immediately, the rod rotates in the counter-clock wise direction. I need to know what the angular velocity of the rod is after the collision. We denote the mass of the rod as m, the mass of the cart as M, the initial angle of the rod as theta, the length of the rod as l, and the moment of inertia of the rod as:

I = 1/3 m l sq

I know we CANNOT use the below equation to determine the final angular velocity rod:

L = m v r cos theta

because this equation applies to point particles, but the rod is a solid, rigid body. (Assume for the sake of symmetry, there is an equal small hole at the other end of the rod so that the center of mass of the rod is at its geometric center.)
I have no idea what the correct equation is. Could someone please show me and also a general equation that applies for any shape of a rigid body.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi e2m2a! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
e2m2a said:
the moment of inertia of the rod as:

I = 1/3 m l sq

I know we CANNOT use the below equation to determine the final angular velocity rod:

L = m v r cos theta
Yes, use 1/3 ml2 for the angular momentum after the collision.

For the angular momentum before the collision (about the point where the pivot ends up), use dL = (m/l)dr vrcosθ, and integrate. :wink:

Last edited:
Hello Tiny-Tim,

In your reply you stated: "Yes, use 1/3ml² for the angular momentum after the collision."
Did you mean the moment of inertia, not the angular momentum? Also, I assume the equation for the angular momentum before the collision applies to after the collsion, correct? Also, I am not clear how to use your equation. I integrate the right side of:
dL = (m/l)dr v r cosθ with respect to r, treating everything else as a constant. Correct? Also, is r the distance from the axis or pivot point to the center of mass of the rod? Thanks for your help.

Hello e2m2a! :smile:

Yes, I meant use it for the moment of inertia to calculate the angular momentum.

r is the distance from the pivot point to the element dr of the rod.

ok, if I integrate the equation dL = (m/l)vrcos(theta)dr, taking the limits of integration from 0 to l, I get as the final answer:

L = m v r cos(theta).

But this is the same result for a point particle. Is this correct?

e2m2a said:
ok, if I integrate the equation dL = (m/l)vrcos(theta)dr, taking the limits of integration from 0 to l, I get as the final answer:

L = m v r cos(theta).

But this is the same result for a point particle. Is this correct?

(what happened to that θ i gave you? :confused:)

Noooo … that would be ∫ (m/l) vcosθ dr :redface:

get some sleep! :zzz:​

Tiny-Tim,

Unless I am missing something on integration, when I integrate dL = ∫(m/l)vrcos(θ)dr, taking the limit from 0 to l, where l is the length of the rod, m is the mass of the rod, v is the velocity of the cart right at collision, and θ is the angle of the rod with respect to the x-axis at the time of collision, I get:

L = (m/l) v cos(θ) (r²/2)

Evaluated from the limits 0 to l, I get:

L =(l²/2) m (v/l) cos(θ)

Which reduces to:

L = (l/2) m v cos(θ)

Now, l/2 is simply the distance from the axis to the center of mass of the rod, or:

L = m v rcom cos(θ)

Where, rcom is the distance from the axis to the
center of mass of the rod.

e2m2a said:
L = (l/2) m v cos(θ)

Now, l/2 is simply the distance from the axis to the center of mass of the rod, or:

L = m v rcom cos(θ)

Where, rcom is the distance from the axis to the
center of mass of the rod.

oh, your r was rcom … i assumed it was l. :rolleyes:

What is the Angular Momentum Conundrum?

The Angular Momentum Conundrum refers to the discrepancy between the observed angular momentum of galaxies and the predicted angular momentum based on their visible mass. This has been a puzzle for scientists as it challenges our understanding of how galaxies form and evolve.

Why is the Angular Momentum Conundrum important?

The Angular Momentum Conundrum is important because it helps us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies. By studying this phenomenon, we can gain insights into the distribution of dark matter and the role it plays in shaping galaxies.

What are the current theories proposed to explain the Angular Momentum Conundrum?

There are several theories that have been proposed to explain the Angular Momentum Conundrum. Some suggest that the discrepancy could be due to the presence of dark matter, while others propose modifications to the theory of gravity, such as modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND).

How do scientists study the Angular Momentum Conundrum?

Scientists study the Angular Momentum Conundrum through observations of galaxies using telescopes and other instruments. They also use computer simulations to model the formation and evolution of galaxies and test different theories to explain the discrepancy.

What are the potential implications of solving the Angular Momentum Conundrum?

If scientists are able to solve the Angular Momentum Conundrum, it could lead to a better understanding of the nature of dark matter and its role in the universe. It could also provide new insights into the fundamental laws of physics and help us refine our understanding of how galaxies form and evolve.