Help needed, bad circuit diagram + poor understanding

In summary, the person built a converter, but lost the plans. The converter is working, but could be better. The plans were vague and only any use as a basic outline to the method of building the converter. The person needs help making the circuit work.
spbulletproof
I need some help. This may not be the right place but IL give it a go anyway. I have built a Single to Three phase converter and it is working OK, but it could be better. It was built to a set of plans downloaded for a small fee. The person selling these plans has since dissapeared, website/e.mail dead etc. The plans were rather vague and were only any use as a basic outline to the method of building the converter. I have since lost the plans as they were PDF and lost them with a computer wipe... no back up copy No big loss as all the basic principal is in my head but I do have a few pages printed out which seemed special. Basic outline of the system; 240/415 transformer(doctored from an old a/c arc welder with dual input voltage(apply 240v to the 240v winding and you get 415v from the 415v winding with a common neutral and strip out the sec.) The artificial 415v 2 phase is feed to an idle motor with the 3rd phase coming from a motor run cap placed between one of the 415 legs and the 3rd input of the motor. The motor is starts in star with a motor start cap paralleled with the motor run cap. When it runs up to speed it changes to delta and the start cap drops out. At the minute the system is using a timer relay to control the star/delta changeover but it works better with a voltage sensing circuit. The circuit senses when the voltage between one of the transformer phases and the capacitor phase is, and when it reaches a certain point(approx. 380v) it changes over the S/D and drops out the start cap. This is better because when a heavy start load is placed on the output of the converter it will cause the voltage to drop on the cap. phase and it will bring on the start cap and change back to star to aid starting the 3 phase motor load. This is where I need help (I should prob have done my HND in electronics instead of mechanical Eng. but it seemed the right thing at the time). The circuit uses zener diodes to switch the relay controlling the S/D changeover. The circuit looks like a transformer less voltage dropper but it seems incomplete and wrong. The diagram is like the rest of the instruction... vague and indefinite. It shows a rectifier but two tails have nothing on them? What propose does it serve if the coil is 240ac? Does anyone here know how to make this circuit work. I have built it and it doesn't work. It says in the notes that when the voltage reaches~380v it energies the relay. I would appreciate it if some one could dummy the circuit so I can double check I have it right i.e. draw pictures of the components with annotations as to their orientation... ac/dc side of the rectifier and the positioning of the zeners. Some one with a better knowledge of this stuff will prob sort it in two minutes! I have a good understanding of electrical systems etc. but never studied circuit manufacture in any great depth but I have some experience and with some guidance I could build this. The top LH is transformer phase and the bottom LH is capacitor phase.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear researcher,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your circuit diagram and understanding. I understand the importance of clear and accurate diagrams in building and troubleshooting devices. It seems that you have already put in a lot of effort and have a good understanding of the basic principles involved in your Single to Three phase converter.

From your description, it appears that the circuit you have built is not functioning as expected and may require some modifications. It is also concerning that the person who sold you the plans is no longer available for support. In this case, it would be helpful to have a detailed and accurate diagram of the circuit in question.

I would suggest consulting with an experienced electrical engineer or seeking help from online forums or communities dedicated to electronics and circuit design. They may be able to provide guidance and help you troubleshoot your circuit. It would also be beneficial to have someone with a strong background in circuit design to review and provide feedback on your circuit diagram.

In the meantime, I would recommend double-checking all the connections and components in your circuit to ensure they are correct and functioning properly. It may also be helpful to consult with the manufacturer of the transformer and capacitor you are using to ensure they are suitable for your application.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in resolving your circuit issues.

Sincerely,

1. What are the common mistakes in a bad circuit diagram?

There are various mistakes that can be present in a bad circuit diagram, including incorrect labeling of components, missing connections or components, incorrect symbol usage, and inconsistent or unclear labeling. These mistakes can lead to confusion and errors in the circuit design.

2. How can I improve my understanding of circuit diagrams?

One way to improve your understanding of circuit diagrams is to practice drawing and analyzing them. You can also refer to online resources or books that provide detailed explanations and examples of circuit diagrams. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or taking a course in circuit design can also help improve your understanding.

3. What are the consequences of using a poor circuit diagram?

Using a poor circuit diagram can lead to a variety of consequences, such as incorrect functioning of the circuit, damage to components, and potential safety hazards. It can also result in wasted time and resources trying to troubleshoot and fix any issues that arise.

4. Can a bad circuit diagram be fixed?

In most cases, a bad circuit diagram can be fixed by identifying the mistakes and making corrections. However, if the mistakes are too numerous or severe, it may be more efficient to start over with a new diagram. It is important to carefully review and test the circuit after making any corrections.

5. How can I avoid making a bad circuit diagram?

To avoid making a bad circuit diagram, it is important to have a clear understanding of the circuit design and components involved. Double-checking symbols and connections, using consistent and clear labeling, and seeking feedback or guidance from others can also help prevent mistakes. It is also important to carefully test and troubleshoot the circuit before implementing it.