Average GCSE's/top A levels? What are my chances at top Uni?

In summary, lincs-b recommends that if your predicted a-level result are good then you would be better off strengthening your application in other areas. He also recommends doing relevant work experience. He wants his application to be as strong as possible and any more information would be much appreciated.
Immersed
Hi guys I'm new to the forum,

I'm currently studying in the UK.

I Wanted to know peoples views on applying for top uni's such as Cambridge, MIT etc.

I didn't do to well in GCSEs because I wasn't serious at the time. I got into AS and completely was overwhelmed by the amount of home study I had to put it. I am currently repeating my AS levels I am studying 5 A Levels; Mathematics, Physics, Further Math, Chemistry and Business. I know I can obtain top grades and my aim is to obtain straight A's and go onto study Engineering at Cambridge. I know having 5 strong A levels would increase my chances but my only worry is my GCSEs.

So should I worry, should I try and re sit, what's your advice?

Many Thanks
Immersed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Resits would be a complete waste of your time. If your predicted a-level result are good then you would be better off strengthening your application in other areas. Have you done any relavent work experience? Do you know anyone who can help with your application?

Thanks for the reply lincs-b,

Well in my previous year I went to a couple of the extra-curricular 1 week summer courses;

Headstart at Warwick University on Electronic Engineering

http://www.headstartcourses.org.uk/courses_details.php?courses_id=63

and with Smallpeice Trust at Southampton University on Super Computing in Engineering

http://www.smallpeicetrust.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=92

which are related to what I want to study so it may enhance my application, Although I am not sure if this would pass as work experience.

In regards to someone who can help with my application our college has a careers advice etc. So maybe I could consult them.

I just want my application to be as strong as possible, almost a guarantee, any more infomation and advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is considered a good average for GCSE's/top A levels?

It is difficult to determine a specific number that would be considered a "good" average for GCSE's or top A levels as it varies depending on the university and program you are applying to. Generally, a strong average would be considered anything above a B or 70%.

2. How do universities evaluate GCSE's and top A levels?

Universities typically consider a combination of your GCSE and top A level grades when evaluating your application. They will also take into account the difficulty of your courses and the overall trend of your grades. Additionally, they may place more weight on certain subjects that are relevant to the program you are applying to.

3. Can I still get into a top university with average GCSE's and top A levels?

Yes, it is possible to get into a top university with average GCSE's and top A levels. While a strong academic record is important, universities also consider other factors such as extracurricular activities, personal statements, and letters of recommendation. It is important to showcase your strengths and unique qualities in your application.

4. What are my chances of getting into a top university with excellent GCSE's but average top A levels?

Having excellent GCSE's can certainly help your chances of getting into a top university, but it is not the only factor that universities consider. Your top A level grades, personal statement, and extracurricular activities will also play a role in the admissions process. It is important to have a well-rounded application to increase your chances of acceptance.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting into a top university with average GCSE's and top A levels?

There are several ways to improve your chances of getting into a top university with average GCSE's and top A levels. You can focus on excelling in your A level courses, participate in extracurricular activities, and showcase your strengths in your personal statement. It is also helpful to research the specific requirements and expectations of the university and program you are applying to.