Lim (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) where x->pi/4

• Thread starter danculax
  • Start date
In summary: Can you explain more?Alternatively, you could expand \sin(x) and \sin(x) in a Taylor's Series about x = \pi/4. The numerator subtraction will eliminate even power terms and the denomiator will cancel one power of (x-\pi/4) term. The result will have a leading constant term which is your limit as x\rightarrow \pi/4.
danculax
lim (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) where x-->pi/4

Hi! Could someone help me to solve this problem without using L'Hospital rule? Any hint would be splendid...

lim (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x)
x-->pi/4

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

L'Hopital's rule?

Sorry, but without L'Hospital. I forgot to mention...With L'Hospital is easy to solve and it gives
=-sqrt(2)/4

danculax said:
Sorry, but without L'Hospital. I forgot to mention...With L'Hospital is easy to solve and it gives
=-sqrt(2)/4

Try rewriting sin(x)-cos(x) in the form Rsin(x-A)

You could multiply by (cosx + sinx)/(cosx + sinx) and use the identity cos2x -sin2x = cos2x. Then let u = 2x, use the identity sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/2 - x) = cosx, rewrite it some more, and use the common trig limit sinx/x. Don't forget to change the limits with each substitution.

Bohrok said:
You could multiply by (cosx + sinx)/(cosx + sinx) and use the identity cos2x -sin2x = cos2x. Then let u = 2x, use the identity sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/2 - x) = cosx, rewrite it some more, and use the common trig limit sinx/x. Don't forget to change the limits with each substitution.

Wow! Thank you for this great tip! I tried a similar method but I had problems to find a good substitution. u=2x really works and the problem is solved! Thanks again!

rock.freak667 said:
Try rewriting sin(x)-cos(x) in the form Rsin(x-A)

Now I have two solutions for my limit problem. I figured out how to transform sin(x)-cos(x) into Rsin(x-A) form:

R=Sqrt(2)
A=pi/4

sinx-cosx=Sqrt(2)*sin(x-pi/4)

Thank you for your help!

L'Hopital's rule is simple. It says that if the limit of a quotient takes on an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 then the limit is equivalent to the derivative of the numerator divided by the derivative of the denominator.

sinx-cosx / pi -4x

set the same limit to

cosx+sinx / -4

Alternatively, you could expand [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] in a Taylor's Series about [itex]x = \pi/4[/itex]. The numerator subtraction will eliminate even power terms and the denomiator will cancel one power of [itex](x-\pi/4)[/itex] term. The result will have a leading constant term which is your limit as [itex]x\rightarrow \pi/4[/itex].

Hmm, I'm not familiar with expanding in a Taylor's Series.

1. What is the limit of the expression (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) as x approaches pi/4?

The limit of the expression (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) as x approaches pi/4 is undefined.

2. How do you solve for the limit of (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) as x approaches pi/4?

To solve for the limit of (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) as x approaches pi/4, first factor out a -1 from the numerator to get (-1)(cosx-sinx)/(pi-4x). Then, substitute pi/4 for x to get (-1)(cos(pi/4)-sin(pi/4))/(pi-4(pi/4)). Simplify the expression to get (-1)(sqrt(2)/2-sqrt(2)/2)/(pi-4(pi/4)). Finally, simplify further to get 0/0, which is an undefined expression.

3. Is the expression (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) continuous at x=pi/4?

No, the expression (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) is not continuous at x=pi/4 because the limit does not exist.

4. What is the behavior of (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) as x approaches pi/4?

The behavior of (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) as x approaches pi/4 is oscillating and undefined, as the expression approaches different values from both the left and right sides of pi/4.

5. Can you rewrite the expression (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) in a form that is easier to evaluate the limit at x=pi/4?

Yes, the expression (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) can be rewritten as (tanx-1)/(pi-4x). This form may make it easier to evaluate the limit at x=pi/4, but the limit will still be undefined.