Calculating percent error in a lab

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of percent error in a lab experiment to determine the value of gravitational acceleration. The participant obtained a value of -45.9, which is significantly different from the accepted value of 9.81. The proper way to calculate percent error is to determine the likely error in each input value and combine them to get an overall error in the output value.
wiccabean21
calculating percent error in a lab please help!

Homework Statement

I have to calculate an experimental value for g using values from my lab. I got -45.9 as my value, and now i have to calculate the percent error

Homework Equations

a= g (m2 - m1/ m2+m1) was the equation i used

actual-calculate/calculated x 100

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I use negatives or not?

9.81- - 45.9 / - 45.9 x 100 = -121.4 %

or

9.81-45.9 / - 45.9 x 100 = 78.6 %

part b says derive the equation for a in the form a = F/m (f and m in terms of forces and messes in the atwood machine) but I have no idea what he is asking me to do

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi wiccabean21! Welcome to PF! :smile:
wiccabean21 said:
I have to calculate an experimental value for g using values from my lab. I got -45.9 as my value, and now i have to calculate the percent error

i] g = -45.9 is totally different from the correct figure :rolleyes:

either you've applied the equation incorrectly, or (more likely) you need to do the experiment again :wink:

ii] "error" means the likely error, not the actual error …

decide how much error there is in measuring each of your input figures (for example, maybe there's a 1% error in measuring each mass), and then add them (or combine them in some other way) to get an overall error in the output figure. :smile:

1. What is percent error and why is it important in a lab?

Percent error is a measure of how much a measured value differs from the true or accepted value. It is important in a lab because it allows us to evaluate the accuracy of our experimental results and identify sources of error in our procedures.

2. How do you calculate percent error?

Percent error is calculated by subtracting the accepted value from the measured value, dividing that difference by the accepted value, and then multiplying by 100. The formula is:
Percent Error = (|measured value - accepted value| / accepted value) * 100

3. What is an acceptable percent error in a lab?

There is no universally accepted value for an acceptable percent error in a lab. It depends on the specific experiment and the acceptable level of accuracy for that particular measurement. In general, a percent error of 5% or less is considered acceptable.

4. How do you interpret a percent error value?

If the percent error is positive, it means that the measured value is higher than the accepted value. If it is negative, it means that the measured value is lower than the accepted value. The magnitude of the percent error indicates the amount of deviation from the accepted value.

5. What are some common sources of error that can contribute to percent error in a lab?

There are many potential sources of error in a lab that can contribute to percent error. These can include human error, equipment limitations, environmental factors, and procedural errors. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error in order to obtain more accurate results.