Radius of curvature of a function

In summary, the student is trying to find the radius of curvature of a beam, but is having trouble understanding the equation. He may want to use the average of x1 and x2 to get an estimate for the curvature.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I have a graph of y=lg(x) which is supposed to mimic the curvature of a beam, or I can use y =√x to be more precise. But in essence between two points x2 and x1, I need to find the radius of curvature R so as to find the bending stress on it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if it is as simple as taking the arc length and dividing by π or something. Any help would be fine.

Or could I use

E/R = σ/y

and use σ as the yield stress and get R from there, though that is assuming that it is a straight beam.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dick said:
You are making this too complicated. If you have y=f(x) there's a reasonably simple formula for radius of curvature. See formula 5 in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RadiusofCurvature.html

:rofl: oh my, I've seen that equation all my life and I've been using it to find radius, add in the word curvature and I complicate life. Thanks for lessening my work load!

Would it be best to use the average of x1 and x2 and get the curvature then?

Not sure. I don't know the engineering problem. Do you want an average between x1 and x2, or a max between x1 and x2 or something else? What's best depends on the problem.

Dick said:
Not sure. I don't know the engineering problem. Do you want an average between x1 and x2, or a max between x1 and x2 or something else? What's best depends on the problem.

If I could I'd like to get an average estimate for the entire length from x=1 to some x=x2

EDIT: nvm, I am analyzing the beam at different sections, so those are at certain x points, so I can just reuse the formula throughout. Thank you again.

What is the radius of curvature of a function?

The radius of curvature of a function is a measure of how sharply the curve of the function bends at a particular point. It is the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point.

How is the radius of curvature of a function calculated?

The radius of curvature can be calculated using the formula:
R = ((1 + (dy/dx)^2)^(3/2)) / (abs(d^2y/dx^2))
Where dy/dx is the first derivative of the function and d^2y/dx^2 is the second derivative.

What does the radius of curvature tell us about a function?

The radius of curvature provides insight into the local behavior of a function. A smaller radius of curvature indicates a sharper bend or curve, while a larger radius of curvature indicates a more gradual bend or curve.

What is the difference between the radius of curvature and the curvature of a function?

The radius of curvature is a specific measurement at a particular point on a function, while the curvature is a general term used to describe the overall shape or bend of a function.

How can the radius of curvature be used in real world applications?

The radius of curvature is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to analyze and design curves and surfaces. It can also be used in computer graphics to create realistic curves and surfaces in 3D modeling and animation.