Please check my work (differential equation)

In summary, using the official method for ∫ fg dx will result in a wrong answer, while the method suggested above will give the correct answer.
darryw

Homework Statement

ty' + 2y = sin t (no initial conditions given)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ty' + 2y = sin t

y' + (2/t)y = sin t / t

mu(x) = e^integ(2/t) = t^2

(t^2)y)' = integ t sin t

(t^2)y = tsin t - t cos t + c

y = (sin t - cos t)/ t + c/(t^2) (This is my solution)

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi darryw! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a mu: µ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your equations are ok down to …
darryw said:
(t^2)y)' = integ t sin t

(t^2)y = tsin t - t cos t + c

y = (sin t - cos t)/ t + c/(t^2)

… the first line of course should be (t^2)y)' = t sin t (without the ∫) :wink:,

but more seriously your integration by parts has come out wrong …

check it by differentiating, and you'll see how to fix it. :smile:

i knew it! this is an ongoing problem for me.. I always have problem escaping the integration loop when i have something like ∫t cos t.. (or even worse: ∫e^t cos t

as i understand it, the idea is to integrate up to a certain point and then subtract the integrals identity from left hand side, so then you cancel the integrals. When i did that i ended up with tsin t - t cos t. Can you offer any help/tips so i don't have to write out the whole long integration process? thanks

darryw said:
i knew it! this is an ongoing problem for me.. I always have problem escaping the integration loop …

he he :biggrin:

the official method for ∫ fg dx is to integrate g only, giving [f(∫ g dx)], and then subtract the integral of f' time that: ∫ { f'(∫ g dx)} dx

but my method (only works for easy cases) is to make a guess (in this case, -tcost), differentiate it (-cost + tsint), and then integrate whatever's over (-cost) :wink:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many physical processes in science and engineering.

2. Why is it important to check my work when solving a differential equation?

Checking your work is important to ensure that your solution is correct and accurate. Differential equations can be complex and involve multiple steps, so verifying your work can help catch any errors that may have been made along the way.

3. How do I know if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also compare your solution to other known solutions or use numerical methods to approximate the solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to look out for when solving a differential equation?

Some common mistakes when solving a differential equation include errors in algebraic manipulation, forgetting to include the constant of integration, or making errors in differentiation or integration. It is important to double-check each step and be mindful of any constants or variables that may have been dropped or added incorrectly.

5. Are there any tips for solving differential equations more efficiently?

Some tips for solving differential equations more efficiently include starting by simplifying the equation and identifying the type of differential equation (e.g. first-order, second-order, etc.). You can also use substitution or integration techniques to simplify the equation before solving. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help when needed can improve your problem-solving skills and speed.