Prove sinx+cosx≥1 for x in [0,π/2]

• Thread starter estro
  • Start date
In summary: So x+y >= (x^2+y^2)^(1/2)and so sin(x)+cos(x) >= (sin^2(x)+cos^2(x))^(1/2)=1or do you consider the triangle inequality "geometric"?
estro
Is there any non geometrical way to proof this fact?
sinx+cosx>=1 for every x in [0,Pi/2]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi estro! Welcome to PF! :smile:
estro said:
sinx+cosx>=1

i] it's not true for 90º < x < 360º

ii] you can prove non-geometrically that sinx + cosx = sin(x + 45º)/sin45º :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi estro! Welcome to PF! :smile:

i] it's not true for 90º < x < 360º

ii] you can prove non-geometrically that sinx + cosx = sin(x + 45º)/sin45º :wink:

Oh, sorry I corrected my mistake.

[tex]f(x) = sinx + cosx[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = cosx - sinx = 0[/tex]

[tex]cosx = sinx[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{\pi}{4}\\[/tex]
For values < pi/4, f'(x) = +, and for values >pi/4, f'(x) = -. This means at x=pi/4, there is a local maximum on the interval [0,pi/2]. Therefore, x=0 and x=pi/2 must be local minimums. We can then say that for all values x on the interval [0,pi/2]

[tex]f(0 or \frac{\pi}{2}) \le f(x) \le f(\frac{\pi}{4})\\[/tex]
[tex]1 \le f(x) \le \sqrt{2}\\[/tex]

I sort of just made this up off the spot.

Well if you square both sides it's just

sin^2 + cos^x + 2sinxcosx >= 1

2sinxcosx >= 0

Which is obviously true in the first quadrant.

nicksauce said:

2sinxcosx >= 0

I think from obvious reasons your idea is wrong...

Since 1 ≥ (sinx, cosx) ≥ 0 in the interval, sinx ≥ sin2x and cosx ≥ cos2x.
Therefore sinx + cosx ≥ sin2x + cos2x = 1.

Last edited:

estro said:
nicksauce said:

2sinxcosx >= 0

I think from obvious reasons your idea is wrong...
What obvious reason? nicksauce's argument is correct regarding the first quadrant.

That said, his argument is not correct throughout. [itex]\sin x \cos x \ge 0[/itex] for the third quadrant as well. In that quadrant, however, [itex]\sin x + \cos x \le -1[/itex].

D H said:
What obvious reason? nicksauce's argument is correct regarding the first quadrant.

That said, his argument is not correct throughout. [itex]\sin x \cos x \ge 0[/itex] for the third quadrant as well. In that quadrant, however, [itex]\sin x + \cos x \le -1[/itex].

From nicksauce's argument, we can't conclude sinx+cosx >=1 for x in [0,Pi/2].

D H said:

estro said:
From nicksauce's argument, we can't conclude sinx+cosx >=1 for x in [0,Pi/2].

You can get both from nick's argument. For x in quadrant I or III:

2 sin x cos x ≥ 0
sin2(x) + 2 sin(x)cos(x) + cos2x ≥ 1
((sin(x) + cos(x))2 ≥ 1
|sin(x) + cos(x)| ≥ 1

Both results follow considering the signs in those two quadrants.

Is nick's argument weak because he assumed the premiss is true, then deduced his conclusion on that assumption?

Live2Learn said:
Is nick's argument weak because he assumed the premiss is true, then deduced his conclusion on that assumption?
That's what I was thinking: that you can't subtract 1 from or square both sides unless the equation's true in the first place.

I'd think to write sinx+cosx in the form Rsin(x+β) and then show what happens in the range [0,π/2]

estro said:
sinx+cosx>=1 for every x in [0,Pi/2]
nicksauce said:

2sinxcosx >= 0

Live2Learn said:

Why is almost everyone questioning nicksauce's :smile: proof?

It's perfectly valid in the first quadrant ([0,π/2]), which is all the original question asks for! :rolleyes:

(and it's simpler than my proof!)

(and as LCKurtz :smile: says, it can be adapted to cover the whole circle)
rock.freak667 said:
I'd think to write sinx+cosx in the form Rsin(x+β) and then show what happens in the range [0,π/2]

see my first post :wink:

Last edited:

Anonymous217 said:
That's what I was thinking: that you can't subtract 1 from or square both sides unless the equation's true in the first place.

True. I wasn't trying to provide a rigorous proof, but rather roughly sketching out the means for a direction by which the OP could arrive at a rigorous proof.

nicksauce said:
True. I wasn't trying to provide a rigorous proof, ...
Which is a good thing. We aren't supposed to solve the students problems for them here. We (me included) came a little too close to that in this thread.

nicksauce's argument is perfectly valid given the right circumstances. The OP needs to show that these circumstances apply here.

Sorry if someone else presented the same argument in a way i couldn't understand:

(x+y)^2 >= x^2+y^2

so x+y >= (x^2+y^2)^(1/2)

and so sin(x)+cos(x) >= (sin^2(x)+cos^2(x))^(1/2)=1
so sin(x)+cos(x) >= 1

or do you consider the triangle inequality "geometric"? (which, by the name of "triangle", i would not begrudge you for :P)

n1person said:
Sorry if someone else presented the same argument in a way i couldn't understand:

(x+y)^2 >= x^2+y^2

so x+y >= (x^2+y^2)^(1/2)

and so sin(x)+cos(x) >= (sin^2(x)+cos^2(x))^(1/2)=1
so sin(x)+cos(x) >= 1

or do you consider the triangle inequality "geometric"? (which, by the name of "triangle", i would not begrudge you for :P)

Well, the first part of the equation is only true if...

[tex](x+y)^2 \geq x^2 + y^2[/tex]

[tex]x^2+2xy+y^2 \geq x^2+y^2[/tex]

[tex]2xy \geq 0[/tex]

So sin(x)+cos(x) >= 1 only holds true if both sin(x) and cos(x) are positive, I suppose.

D H said:
Which is a good thing. We aren't supposed to solve the students problems for them here. We (me included) came a little too close to that in this thread.

nicksauce's argument is perfectly valid given the right circumstances. The OP needs to show that these circumstances apply here.

I hope you understand that I've already solved this problem before posting this question on PF.
And I never asked for a formal proof, I indeed asked for an alternative idea to what I've used in my geometrical based proof.
And still I couldn't figure out pure "calculus" approach to solving this problem.

It's a little pity that this thread was flooded with unclear algebra rather ideas...

Anyway thank you all very much...

Last edited:

estro said:
I hope you understand that I've already solved this problem before posting this question on PF.
And I never asked for a formal proof, I indeed asked for an alternative idea to what I've used in my geometrical based proof.
And still I couldn't figure out pure "calculus" approach to solving this problem.

It's a little pity that this thread was flooded with unclear algebra rather ideas...

Anyway thank you all very much...

It's a pity? It looks to me like you received several alternative ideas.

1. What does the inequality sinx+cosx≥1 mean?

The inequality sinx+cosx≥1 means that the sum of the sine and cosine of any angle x in the interval [0,π/2] is greater than or equal to 1.

2. How can you prove this inequality for all values of x in the given interval?

This inequality can be proved using the properties of sine and cosine functions and basic algebraic manipulations. We can also use geometric interpretations, such as the unit circle, to show that sinx+cosx≥1 for all values of x in [0,π/2].

3. Can you provide an example to demonstrate this inequality?

For example, let's take x=π/4. In this case, sin(π/4)=√2/2 and cos(π/4)=√2/2. When we add these two values, we get √2/2+√2/2=√2, which is greater than 1. Therefore, sin(π/4)+cos(π/4)≥1, as required by the inequality.

4. Is there a specific method or strategy to prove this inequality?

Yes, there are several methods and strategies that can be used to prove this inequality. Some common approaches include using trigonometric identities, using the unit circle, and using the properties of sine and cosine functions. Each method may have its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to choose a method that suits the specific problem at hand.

5. Can this inequality be extended to other intervals?

Yes, this inequality can be extended to other intervals such as [0,2π] or [-π/2,π/2]. However, the proof may differ slightly depending on the specific interval. It is important to consider the properties of sine and cosine functions and the given interval when proving this inequality for other intervals.