Find the Critical Angle for Cylinder Rotating Homework Statement

In summary, we have a rigid body consisting of two coaxial cylinders with different radii, r and R, with a string wound around the smaller cylinder. When a force F is applied to the string at an angle alpha with the horizontal, the direction of the movement changes at a critical angle. The torque equation is used to describe the instantaneous motion of the body, with the torque of the force being Fr. However, the torque of static friction also plays a role and must be considered with respect to the instantaneous axis of rotation. This means that the force must always be perpendicular to the vector from the axis of symmetry to the point of contact between the string and the body.
Krappy

Homework Statement

We have a rigid body that is formed by two coaxial cylinders, one with radius [tex]r[/tex] and another with radius [tex]R[/tex], [tex]r < R[/tex]. There's a winding of string around the cylinder of smaller radius. The string is pulled with a constant force [tex]F[/tex] making an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] with the horizontal.

There is no "sliding", only rotation.

What is the "critical" angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] for which the direction of the movement changes?

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]
[tex]\tau = \vec{F} \times \vec{r}[/tex]
[tex]\tau = I \vec{\vec{\ddot{\theta}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, at first I was a bit skeptical since I couldn't quite imagine pulling the string to one side and the cylinder coming to that side. I thought that pulling the string to one side would make the cylinder rotate away always. So, I made the experiment and the direction of the movement did in fact change with the angle.

I've been thinking and I could only conjecture one thing: when I'm pulling the string with an angle, I can not assume that the force is being applied to the lowest point, yielding a torque [tex]\tau = F r \cos \alpha[/tex], instead I should think that the string is always perpendicular to [tex]\vec{r}[/tex], and that the net torque is [tex]\tau = F r[/tex]. But this lead me nowhere.

Can you help me? I don't want a solution, I just want a little help to "see the physics" of the problem.

Regards
Krappy

Attachments

• Untitleddrawing.png
    Untitleddrawing.png
    5 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the instantaneous motion of the body can be described as rotating about the axis going through the point of contact (i.e. the lowest point), you can apply the equation Torque = I.alpha for that axis. And what's the torque about the axis? :smile:

The torque is defined with respect to a rotation axis. If the axis is the same as the symmetry axis of the cylinder, the torque of F is really Fr. But there is one more force that have torque: static friction. The angular acceleration will depend on the sum of both.

As you do not know anything about either the magnitude and the direction of the force of friction except that it is parallel to the ground, it is more convenient to calculate the torque with respect to the instantaneous axis of rotation, the line where the cylinder touches the ground. In this case, the torque of friction is zero, and easy to see, in what direction will the cylinder rotate if you change the direction of F and what is the angle when F has zero torque.

ehild

EDIT

Should I assume that the force is always perpendicular to the vector that goes from the axis of symmetry to the point of contact between the rope and the body?

Thanks for the answers.

Last edited:
yes of course because the tangent of a circle is always perpendicular to its radius

1. What is the critical angle for a cylinder rotating?

The critical angle for a cylinder rotating is the angle at which the centrifugal force acting on the rotating cylinder is equal to the weight of the cylinder, causing it to lift off the ground. This angle depends on the dimensions and mass of the cylinder, as well as the rotational speed.

2. How is the critical angle for a rotating cylinder calculated?

The critical angle for a rotating cylinder can be calculated using the formula: θ = arccos((g*r)/(v^2)), where θ is the critical angle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point of contact, and v is the rotational speed of the cylinder.

3. Why is the critical angle important in the study of rotating cylinders?

The critical angle is important because it determines the maximum rotational speed at which a cylinder can rotate without lifting off the ground. It is also a key factor in the design of rotating machinery, as exceeding the critical angle can lead to instability and failure.

4. How does the shape of a cylinder affect the critical angle?

The shape of a cylinder can affect the critical angle by changing the distribution of mass and thus altering the centrifugal force acting on the cylinder. For example, a longer and thinner cylinder will have a higher critical angle compared to a shorter and wider one.

5. Can the critical angle be increased?

Yes, the critical angle can be increased by increasing the mass of the cylinder, decreasing the rotational speed, or increasing the distance from the center of rotation to the point of contact. Additionally, changing the shape of the cylinder to distribute the mass more evenly can also increase the critical angle.