Reexpressing double integral using parametric functions

In summary, when tracing points (x,y) from t=a to t=b where x = f(t) and y = g(t), we can calculate the area bounded above by the traced curve using the integral \int_a^b (y \frac{dx}{dt}) dt. This method does not require expressing y as a function of x. In double integrals, if y can be expressed as a function of x, the integral evaluates to \int_{x=f(a)}^{f(b)}\int_{y=0}^{i(x)} h(x,y) dy \, dx. However, a different parametrization is needed for each dimension in order to properly calculate the integral.
agro
If:

x = f(t) (continuous and differentiable)
y = g(t) (continuous)
x is nondecreasing on [a, b]
y is nonnegative on [a, b]

Then when we trace the points (x,y) from t=a to t=b, we can calculate the area bounded above by the traced curve (below by y = 0, left by x = f(a), and right by x = f(b)) by

[tex]\int_a^b (y \frac{dx}{dt}) dt[/tex]

I find this fascinating because we don't need to first express y as a function of x, and just integrate over t directly.

I am now trying to find the same parallel in double integral. Suppose the area defined above is R, and we want to evaluate:

[tex]\int\int_R h(x,y) dA[/tex]

If we can express y as a function of x, say y=i(x), then the integral above evaluates to:

[tex]\int_{x=f(a)}^{f(b)}\int_{y=0}^{i(x)} h(x,y) dy \, dx[/tex]

What I'm trying to do from now on in certainly not rigor. However, I'm thinking that because as t spans from a to b, x spans from f(a) to f(b), and on a particular t we can evaluate the integral h(x, y) over y (with x = f(t) constant, and moving the parameter u from 0 to g(t)). But we need to factor how fast x changes to t. Thus:

[tex]\int_{t=a}^{b}\left\{\int_{u=0}^{g(t)} h(f(t),g(u)) du \right\} (\frac{dx}{dt}) dt[/tex]

However I tried some calculations and the two integrals are certainly different. What is the correct formulation and what is the idea to derive it? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of reexpressing a double integral using parametric functions?

Reexpressing a double integral using parametric functions allows for a change in the variables being integrated over, making the integral easier to solve or evaluate.

2. How do you convert a double integral to parametric form?

To convert a double integral to parametric form, the variables in the original integral must be replaced with parametric equations. This will result in a new integral with respect to the new parametric variables.

3. Can any double integral be expressed using parametric functions?

Not all double integrals can be reexpressed using parametric functions. The original integral must have a rectangular region of integration and the limits of integration must be constants.

4. What are the benefits of using parametric functions in a double integral?

Using parametric functions can simplify the integration process and make it easier to evaluate the integral. It can also allow for integration over non-rectangular regions.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to reexpressing a double integral using parametric functions?

One limitation is that the parametric functions must be continuous and have continuous first derivatives in order for the integral to be valid. Additionally, some integrals may become more complex when expressed in parametric form.