Young Modulus calculation

In summary, Young Modulus, also known as the Modulus of Elasticity, is a measure of how much a material can stretch or compress under a given amount of force. It is calculated by dividing stress by strain and is expressed in pascals (Pa), gigapascals (GPa), or megapascals (MPa). The Young Modulus is affected by factors such as the type of material, crystalline structure, temperature, strain rate, and impurities. It is important in determining the strength, stiffness, and elasticity of materials, and is used in various industries for designing and testing materials. It also helps in understanding the behavior of materials and predicting their performance.
mjzammit2
Hi I have a problem with the following question:

A steel violin string has a cross-sectional area of 0.2*10^-6 m^2 and is under tension 83N. If its length under tension is 35cm, find its original length.

I can not seem to solve the question without needing the value of young modulus...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct, so look up Young's modulus for steel, the given material. It varies a bit amongst different grades of steels, but not by much.

Hi :)

I am supposed to find it using only the given information. Therefore I can not use Young's Modulus.

What is Young Modulus?

Young Modulus, also known as the Modulus of Elasticity, is a measure of how much a material can stretch or compress under a given amount of force. It is a property of materials and is used to describe their ability to resist deformation.

How is Young Modulus calculated?

The Young Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length divided by original length) of a material. This can be expressed as E = stress/strain, where E is the Young Modulus.

What is the unit of Young Modulus?

The unit of Young Modulus is pascals (Pa), which is equivalent to newtons per square meter (N/m2). It can also be expressed in other units such as gigapascals (GPa) or megapascals (MPa).

What factors affect the Young Modulus?

The Young Modulus is affected by various factors, including the type of material, its crystalline structure, temperature, strain rate, and presence of impurities. It is important to consider these factors when calculating or using the Young Modulus.

Why is Young Modulus important?

The Young Modulus is an important property of materials as it helps in determining their strength, stiffness, and elasticity. It is used in various industries, including engineering, construction, and manufacturing, to design and test materials for specific applications. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of materials under different conditions and helps in predicting their performance.