Calculating torque for a bent lever

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to calculate torque and clarifies the issue of the bent lever in the diagram. It is mentioned that the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the pivot is important in finding torque, and the diagrams are not showing this properly. The conversation ends with a note of understanding and appreciation for the help provided.
sfsy1
[PLAIN]http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8218/diagram.gif

to calculate the torque (N*x) which one is correct? the one on top, or below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. The fact that the lever is bent doesn't matter. To find the torque, you want the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the pivot. If N and x are the same, the torque is the same for both diagrams.

sorry the diagram is unclear, but the X is different for the first case, and the second case, N is the same.

but anyway, i think i understand it now, thanks!

sfsy1 said:
sorry the diagram is unclear, but the X is different for the first case, and the second case, N is the same.
I think I know what you're asking. Imagine a straight line connecting the end of the lever to the pivot. To maximize the torque for a given force, you want the force to be perpendicular to that line. (Neither diagram shows that.) That will maximize your value for X.

thanks for your help!

1. How do I calculate torque for a bent lever?

To calculate torque for a bent lever, you will need to know the length of the lever, the force applied to the lever, and the angle at which the force is applied. Once you have these values, you can use the equation torque = force x lever length x sin(angle) to calculate the torque.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of force and torque in a bent lever?

The angle at which the force is applied to a bent lever is directly related to the torque produced. As the angle increases, the torque also increases. This is because a larger angle results in a longer lever arm, which increases the distance between the force and the pivot point, leading to a greater torque.

3. How does the length of the lever affect torque in a bent lever?

The length of the lever has a linear relationship with torque in a bent lever. This means that as the length of the lever increases, the torque also increases. This is because a longer lever allows for a larger distance between the force and the pivot point, resulting in a greater torque.

4. Can torque be negative in a bent lever?

Yes, torque can be negative in a bent lever. This occurs when the force is applied at an angle that is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative sin(angle) value in the torque equation. A negative torque indicates that the lever is rotating in the opposite direction of the applied force.

5. How is torque measured in a bent lever?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in a bent lever. These units represent the amount of force (in Newtons or pounds) applied at a certain distance (in meters or feet) from the pivot point. Torque can also be measured using a torque wrench, which applies a specific amount of force and measures the resulting torque.