Strange Water Rocket Phenomenon - Why?

In summary, a water rocket did not work as expected because the hole in the cap was too large. The surface tension prevented the water from flowing out immediately. The phenomenon is common in hydrostatics and fluids at rest, and when certain ratios between dimensions, capillarity forces and gravity forces are reached.
Solidmozza
Today when I was toying with a water rocket I came upon a strange phenomena. The setup was like this:
I had a 625 mL coke bottle, filled half way with water. The cap had a nice hole in it, about 1.5 cm. I turned the bottle upside down, thinking that the water would just gush out, but low and behold it kept in there, only dripping once every 4 seconds or so. I tried this again, and the same result occurred :eek:
So here's my question, why did it do that? Why didnt the water just gush out at once (like it should with the force of gravity acting on it?!) What physics are involved in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are more forces then just gravity at work. The atmosphere exerts a force as well it and this is the force which keeps the water in the bottle.

Integral said:
There are more forces then just gravity at work. The atmosphere exerts a force as well it and this is the force which keeps the water in the bottle.

But not for too long - supporting a heavier fluid with a lighter one is intrinsicaly unstable (Rayleigh-Taylor!).

Humm... Humming bird feeders, pet rodent water bottles all seem to hold the water for on demand release. As long as the seal is good they retain water nearly indefinitely.

Solidmozza said:
Today when I was toying with a water rocket I came upon a strange phenomena. The setup was like this:
I had a 625 mL coke bottle, filled half way with water. The cap had a nice hole in it, about 1.5 cm. I turned the bottle upside down, thinking that the water would just gush out, but low and behold it kept in there, only dripping once every 4 seconds or so. I tried this again, and the same result occurred :eek:
So here's my question, why did it do that? Why didnt the water just gush out at once (like it should with the force of gravity acting on it?!) What physics are involved in this?

First of all it seems to me that the hole is too larger for experimenting what you've said. Anyway, the water does not gush out due to the surface tension. This phenomena is typical in hydrostatics and fluids at rest, and when certain ratios between dimensions, capillarity forces and gravity forces are reached. This figures are measured by the Bond Number:

[tex] B_o=\frac{\sigma}{R^2 \rho g}=\frac{72.8\cdot 10^-3}{(1.5\cdot 10^-2)^2 1000 \cdot 9.8}=0.03[/tex]

It's roughly of order 1, so that I've said I think your hole is too larger. Anyway, the force of surface tension will be approximately of the order of gravity forces in the neighborhood of the hole.

The surface tension acts like a solid membrane in the water surface. You have to push down this membrane in order to get through it. This force is balanced with the gravity force. For example, when you fill an extremely narrow pipe with water, leaving is both sections opened, and put it upside down, the fluid does not flow across the pipe due to the gravity force. By contrast, the force that counteracts the gravity is the surface tension. If you see carefully the bottom opened section of the pipe, you will see a slight curvature of the surface. This curvature balances the gravity force, "stressing" the water surface itself in order to avoid the fluid flow.

Yeah It was smaller than that, I just realized (i was estimating :tongue2: ) but thanks for that Clausius, I knew something was up!
Thanks for all the quick replies!

If the only hole is a small one at the bottom of your set-up, then air also can't get into displace any liquid, so the liquid stays in. After a few drips, you get a lower pressure inside than outside the bottle, so the liquid stays in...or am I just stating the same thing Integral did with regard to atmospheric forces holding the water in? I'm not sure. Sorry, I can't answer with any fancy equations...I'm just a biologist :tongue2:

1. What causes a water rocket to launch into the air?

A water rocket launches into the air due to the build-up of pressure inside the rocket caused by the compressed air and water mixture. This pressure creates a force that propels the rocket upwards, similar to how a traditional rocket works.

2. How do water rockets achieve such height and distance?

The height and distance achieved by a water rocket depend on several factors, including the amount of water and air inside the rocket, the design and construction of the rocket, and the launch angle. A well-designed and properly launched water rocket can reach heights of over 100 feet and distances of several hundred feet.

3. Why do some water rockets fail to launch or not go very far?

There are several reasons why a water rocket may fail to launch or not go very far. These can include using too much or too little water or air, a poorly designed rocket, a launch angle that is too steep or too shallow, or external factors such as wind or uneven ground.

4. What causes the "pop" sound when a water rocket launches?

The "pop" sound when a water rocket launches is due to the sudden release of compressed air from inside the rocket. As the compressed air escapes, it creates a sound wave that we hear as a "pop." This sound is similar to the sound made when a balloon is popped.

5. Are there any safety concerns when launching a water rocket?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when launching a water rocket. It is important to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses, when launching a rocket. Also, make sure to launch the rocket in a clear and open space, away from people and buildings. Do not aim the rocket at anyone, and always follow the instructions and safety precautions provided by the rocket manufacturer.