How do quarks transform under SO(3)?

In summary: There is no reason for the quarks to be spinors of SU(3) or the gluons to be vectors of SU(3). In summary, quarks transform as Dirac-spinors in the (1/2, 1/2) representation under SO(3,1) and SU(3), while gluons transform as vectors in the adjoint representation under SU(3). The SU(3) symmetry is unrelated to the spin of the particles in the representation, and its existence is not justified by the standard model.
kexue
Quarks transform in the fundamental representation under SU(3), gluons in the adjoint represention under SU(3), leaving the theory (QCD) invariant.

But how can I find out how quarks transform under SO(3)? I know how to decompose a Lorentz tensor under SO(3), like a four-vector or EM field strength vector. But what about fields in SU(3) representations? How can I see that the quarks are spinors and the glouns are vectors?

hope the question makes sense, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess by SO(3) you mean the rotation sub-group of the Lorentz group SO(3,1). Quarks transform as Dirac-spinors = in the (1/2, 1/2) representation similar to electrons. The indices look like

[tex]q^i_a[/tex]

where i=1..3 means the SU(3) color index and a=1..4 means the Dirac spinor index. That means q is a 3*4 matrix with 3 color and 4 Lorentz indices. The two different transformations act on "their" indices. They look like

[tex]q^i_a \to (q^\prime)^i_a = S(\Lambda)_{ab} q^i_b[/tex]

[tex]q^i_a \to (q^\prime)^i_a = U_{ik} q^k_a[/tex]

S means a 4*4 Lorentz transformation; U means a 3*3 SU(3) color transformation.

Last edited:
Thanks, Tom!

And for gluons similar, I suppose?

Gluons look like

[tex]A_\mu^a[/tex]

where a=1..8 is the color-index in the adjoint rep. Alternatively one can define

[tex](A_\mu)_{ik} = A_\mu^a (T^a)_{ik}[/tex]

where you can see the "bi-color" index i,k

thanks again, Tom!

I got lost in the indices, I guess..

It's probably worthwhile to point out that there is no connection whatsoever between the SU(3) representation and the spin of the particles in the representation. For instance, if the SU(3) symmetry were actually just a part of some larger (spontaneously broken) symmetry, such as SU(5), there would be (heavy) spin-1 particles in the fundamental representation SU(3), while if SUSY is correct, there are spin-1/2 particles in the adjoint.

At a more fundamental level, we know that quarks are fermions because proton is a fermion, meaning that something among its constituents must be fermionic, and that gluons are spin-1 because that is what is required of the gauge connection of a simple Lie group.

That's a good point; in the standard model space-time symmetries like SO(3,1) and internal symmetries like U(1), SU(2) and SU(3) are unrelated.

What is spin in relation to quarks and gluons?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, including quarks and gluons, that describes their angular momentum. It is an important characteristic of these particles that influences their behavior and interactions with other particles.

Can the spin of quarks and gluons change?

Yes, the spin of quarks and gluons can change through various processes, such as particle collisions or interactions with other particles. However, the overall spin of a system of quarks and gluons is conserved.

How is spin measured in quarks and gluons?

Spin is measured using a unit of measurement called spin quantum number, denoted by s. Quarks and gluons have a spin quantum number of 1/2, meaning they have half-integer spin. This value can be determined through experiments and calculations.

What is the significance of spin in the study of quarks and gluons?

Spin plays a crucial role in the understanding of the subatomic world and helps explain the behavior and interactions of quarks and gluons. It also has practical applications, such as in nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

Can the spin of quarks and gluons be observed directly?

No, the spin of individual quarks and gluons cannot be observed directly. However, scientists can indirectly measure the spin of a system of particles through experiments and calculations.