Can I do drugs and still do well?

• Thread starter Bad_Boy_Blue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs
In summary, Erdös was a brilliant mathematician who was addicted to amphetamines for most of his life. He claimed that the drugs helped him concentrate and think more clearly. However, the drug abuse ultimately led to his death at the age of 76.
Bad_Boy_Blue
I accidentally posted this in the engineering thread as well (sorry mods).

I'm studying mechanical engineering (BEng) at City University, in London. I'm currently using methadone, GHB, IV cocaine, IV methamphetamine and cannabis on a regular basis (this isn't some sort of sick joke!).

I was just wondering whether this will completely prevent me from finishing (and doing well in) my degree?

Has anyone here been a complete drug addict and still achieved decent grades?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bad_Boy_Blue said:
I'm currently using methadone, GHB, IV cocaine, IV methamphetamine and cannabis on a regular basis (this isn't some sort of sick joke!).

I was just wondering whether this will completely prevent me from finishing (and doing well in) my degree?

I'm positive it will prevent you from doing most anything. And watch out for that hospital...it's heading your way pretty rapidly.

Are our opinions on this matter going to make a difference to your habit ? If a bunch of intelligent, educated and experienced people tell you that you are surely headed towards disaster, will that help you beat your addiction ? Or are you looking for some place where people might tell you that it's just perfectly alright to be doing coke and meth, and that it won't hurt your grades, much less your whole freakin life ?

Well, I believe that most intelligent, educated people are still likely to believe that drugs are more harmful than they actually are (drug propaganda). Did you know that the only drug I use that is neurotoxic is the meth? Cocaine is slightly cardiotoxic, but you get my point. I'm not really worried about my health, as I control my meth and coke use (I only use amphetamine-based substances as a study-aid, and the coke is only for recreation at the weekends).

What I am worried about is the fact that I'm half asleep during lectures, as a result of my constant use of depressants. The methadone puts me in a nod, which makes concentrating difficult. I also worry about falling unconscious in lectures (GHB has a habit of making you 'G out', and this has happened three times before, where I've woken up in hospital a few hours later). Do you think getting to a level where I only use all the drugs in the evening (perhaps from 9:00 onwards) would allow me to do well? I'm a great fan of speed balls.

I'm confused, as I personally know someone who uses psychedelics/dissosiatives (LSD, MDMA, pscilocyban i.e. shrooms, ketamine, DXM etc.), meth, coke and heroin regularly. He's in his third year of applied maths at Cambridge University. What's the secret?

Maybe this post is poinless. Maybe you guys will just flame me and tell me I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Flaming you would serve no purpose.

I believe there are folks here that can tell you about the neurological and well as the pulmonary and cardiovascular effects of the drugs you are using. And there might be some that would speak from experience. Stick around to hear them out.

I'm well aware of the physical risks. I am obsessed with drugs and hence am more knowledgeable than most people. Drugs are my life.

Ban this guy he's just a troll.. he's obviously just trying to mess with us.

^ I had a feeling someone would say that. Go to www.bluelight.nu, look at all my posts (same username) and tell me that I am not obsessed with drugs.

Also, look at:

http://amphetamines.com/paul-erdos.html

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~hi...ians/Erdos.html

Maybe meth can help you study?

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Erdös (1913-1996), "the man who loved only numbers", was one of the most brilliant and prolific mathematicians of the twentieth century. Erdös spent much of his restless life on psychostimulants. As he once remarked, "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

But Erdös liked stronger medicine too. After his mother's death in 1971, Erdös became quite depressed. His physician prescribed amphetamines. Erdös took Benzedrine or Ritalin almost every day for the last twenty five years of his life. Sometimes he took both.

The others are pretty bad, but methadone! that's even more additcive than heroin.

Your almost ceratinly heading for diaster if you carry on that way.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
Paul Erdös (1913-1996), "the man who loved only numbers", was one of the most brilliant and prolific mathematicians of the twentieth century. Erdös spent much of his restless life on psychostimulants. As he once remarked, "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

But Erdös liked stronger medicine too. After his mother's death in 1971, Erdös became quite depressed. His physician prescribed amphetamines. Erdös took Benzedrine or Ritalin almost every day for the last twenty five years of his life. Sometimes he took both.

C'mon most people when they are on speed are incapbale of being coherent, it might make you think quicker, but unfortuantely all that you think when you are on it is crap.

^ Only if you get completely munted. Low doses will help you concentrate.

Speed isn't a good choice, but adderall and ritalin are perfect for studying.

Btw, I forgot to mention that I also use steroids (but that doesn't really count).

Bad_Boy_Blue, yes, you are obsessed with drugs. That's all part of the addiction process. I'm a neuroscientist, and as I've posted in other threads here, I work in a department with a number of people who do research on the neurological aspects of drug addiction. Dosing makes a difference as to how these drugs will act, as does patterns of use. Toxicity is only one concern when it comes to how these drugs affect the brain. Other effects include altered functions (some of which result in permanent changes), and reduced proliferation of new cells. GHB is a great unknown in the scientific literature. Its safety is greatly exagerrated because there simply aren't enough studies to have yet examined its deleterious effects.

Anyway, right now, it doesn't matter what I tell you about the deleterious effects of drugs. You know they are bad for you. That's how we both know it's an addiction. You know they are bad for you, you know you are hooked on them, and you don't know how to stop. You are now grasping at straws, hoping someone will offer you justification for using the drugs, trying to justify it to yourself.

There is also a difference between, for example, use of the stimulant in Ritalin, to compensate for a disorder to restore normal function, and the use of a stimulant in a normal, healthy person whose normal functioning is disrupted by use of the stimulant.

When you refer to the other person you know regularly abusing drugs who is in his third year of a math major, things to consider are: how well is he doing in the major? He could be barely passing all his classes. How long has he been abusing? It may not have been long enough yet to have caught up with him on his cognitive abilities yet.

There are higher functioning addicts, those who can still make it to work, do their job, then get high or drunk at the end of the day. This doesn't last forever.

If you are still performing well in your classes, then get yourself into rehab before that goes downhill. Get that stuff out of your system before the damage becomes irreversible. Put yourself in rehab before the courts put you there. If you're finding yourself waking up in hospitals, you're already treading water; don't let them sink you completely.

I wish you much luck and success in your struggle. Please don't wait to get help to kick the habit. You still have a bright future if you get those out of your system now, don't wait for the lights to dim before you realize there's a problem.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
I accidentally posted this in the engineering thread as well (sorry mods).

I'm studying mechanical engineering (BEng) at City University, in London. I'm currently using methadone, GHB, IV cocaine, IV methamphetamine and cannabis on a regular basis (this isn't some sort of sick joke!).

Has anyone here been a complete drug addict and still achieved decent grades?

Of course you can,look how far GW Bush went. :wink:

Addiction

I wouldn't be so much as worried about your studies as I would about your general health, especilly when mixing strong depressants with strong stimulants. This plays havoc on the heart muscles.

How scary; I've been using GHB on a constant basis for years (originally to boost GH levels, for bodybuilding purposes).

I also use dozens of other drugs on a regular basis, such as anti-oestrogens, diuretics, anti-emetics (although cannabis does this job quite well), SNRI's (actually I've just successfully tapered off my Effexor prescripion). The drugs I listed are the tip of the iceberg.

Life is too depressing for me to be able to bear life sober. The anxiolytic properties of GHB and opioids are very powerful. I have a feeling this is what is keeping me afloat (I was suicidal before I started using drugs). Physical withdrawals are not the problem (as you can imagine).

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
Well, I believe that most intelligent, educated people are still likely to believe that drugs are more harmful than they actually are (drug propaganda).
Isn't that self-contradictory? Wouldn't smarter, more educated people be less likely to be swayed by propaganda?

I also see this as an attempt to justify to yourself that which you already intellectually know is hurting you.

RAD4921 said:
I wouldn't be so much as worried about your studies as I would about your general health, especilly when mixing strong depressants with strong stimulants. This plays havoc on the heart muscles.

The conditioning of my heart is far superior to the average person's. I am a bodybuilder (that doesn't just use resistance exercises). I'd say my BF percentage (at the moment) is the main health problem.

With the use of amphetamine-based susbstances and beta-2 receptor agonists (cocaine, clenbuterol etc.), my body fat percentage has fallen to approximately 5-6%. You have no idea how much of a turn off women find this. They find the veins repulsive.

russ_watters said:
Wouldn't smarter, more educated people be less likely to be swayed by propaganda?

Theoretically yes, but in reality, no.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:

Yes.

Now will you stop it with the drugs?

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
Life is too depressing for me to be able to bear life sober. The anxiolytic properties of GHB and opioids are very powerful. I have a feeling this is what is keeping me afloat (I was suicidal before I started using drugs). Physical withdrawals are not the problem (as you can imagine).

This is really pretty common among addicts. It starts out as self-medicating depression. What you describe is pretty classic...you feel depressed, so take a stimulant, which makes you feel a little too "up" so you take a depressant, which takes you too far back "down", so add on another stimulant.

What you need to treat is the underlying depression, and the cocktail of drugs you are putting into your body will not help. If you get yourself into a rehab program, they can also help you with the underlying depression. This is too big to deal with alone. I'm going to take a guess that that's part of why you got into body building too, to improve your image of yourself to boost self-esteem. It's the creation of a fantasy world to help with an inability to cope with reality.

Seriously, get help. There are too many different pharmaceuticals running through your body to just kick it alone, and once you're off those, you are still going to need to treat the depression, just do that with the guidance of a physician.

Why the heck is your life too depressing?

No one can tell you what or what not to but into your body. The only meaningful question is, How are your grades? If you are happy with them then why are you coming in here asking this stupid question? If you are not happy with them, then perhaps you should do an experiment. Give up the drugs (you are in complete control of course) and tell US what happens to your grades.

Doesn't it make you the least bit nervous to say that intelligent people must buy into government propaganda about drugs? Don't you suppose it is the intelligent people who would be most capable of critical analysis of such reports? Seems to me that your logic is some what muddled, ... perhaps its the drugs.~^

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
The conditioning of my heart is far superior to the average person's. I am a bodybuilder (that doesn't just use resistance exercises). I'd say my BF percentage (at the moment) is the main health problem.

Not if the heart is continually straining itself against the drugs. Bodybuilding with steroids is quite dangerous, and bodybuilding itself won't condition the heart as well as other aerobic exercises such as running.

I've never understood addictive personalities. I've known speed freaks & heroine addicts, intelligent people that got hooked for one reason or another. If you're still alive in 10 years, you'll look like you've aged 50 years and the years were very bad, you'll look like total cr@p and your brain (what's left of it) will be fried. These people all sounded like you when they were your age. If that's what you want...go for it.

If you are depressed, see a doctor, there are many medications now that can help.

Evo said:
I've never understood addictive personalities. I've known speed freaks & heroine addicts, intelligent people that got hooked for one reason or another. If you're still alive in 10 years, you'll look like you've aged 50 years and the years were very bad, you'll look like total cr@p and your brain (what's left of it) will be fried. These people all sounded like you when they were your age. If that's what you want...go for it.

If you are depressed, see a doctor, there are many medications now that can help.

Drug addiction does not generally damage people's health, it's the lifesyle that goes with it. Certainly things like heroin do not directly cause any phsyical damage whatsoever.

I will try and give the drugs up for a fortnight to see what happens.

motai said:
Not if the heart is continually straining itself against the drugs. Bodybuilding with steroids is quite dangerous, and bodybuilding itself won't condition the heart as well as other aerobic exercises such as running.

I said my exercise isn't limited to resistance training. Cardiovascular exercise is part of my bodybuilding regime.

Only the stimulants place strain on my heart.

A major problem that has only been hinted at here is that many of the drugs you mentioned are illegal or being used illegally. This is a multi-level problem. Illegal substances are not controlled, the source of the drugs could be questionable for quality, uncontrolled for cost, unsavory locations for transacting business, possibility of being caught, harmed, killed, blackmailed, arrested, the list goes on and on.

I can only imagine what a habit like yours must cost you. How do you support that? Are you selling drugs as well? Are you pissing away an inheritance? Stealing? You can't work a job that pays well enough and still have time for school, can you? If you do, tell me what it is so that I can quit my engineering job and go into that business.

My job takes me into prisons on a pretty regular basis; you DO NOT WANT TO GO THERE. I think the statisic is something like 90% of the criminals in the jails are there on drug related crimes. I don't mean to judge you, we all have our problems. I just think you need to get yourself help.

Dude...

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
I will try and give the drugs up for a fortnight to see what happens.
I'm sure you know that that isn't enough - you'll spend most of that time going through withdrawal. Plus, it takes longer than that to get your grades up.

Artman said:
A major problem that has only been hinted at here is that many of the drugs you mentioned are illegal or being used illegally. This is a multi-level problem. Illegal substances are not controlled, the source of the drugs could be questionable for quality, uncontrolled for cost, unsavory locations for transacting business, possibility of being caught, harmed, killed, blackmailed, arrested, the list goes on and on.

I can only imagine what a habit like yours must cost you. How do you support that? Are you selling drugs as well? Are you pissing away an inheritance? Stealing? You can't work a job that pays well enough and still have time for school, can you? If you do, tell me what it is so that I can quit my engineering job and go into that business.

My job takes me into prisons on a pretty regular basis; you DO NOT WANT TO GO THERE. I think the statisic is something like 90% of the criminals in the jails are there on drug related crimes. I don't mean to judge you, we all have our problems. I just think you need to get yourself help.

I'm not going to incriminate myself, but I'll just say that I realized how much money I could save when I visited www.rhodium.ws.

I have a bad feeling I'll be working in Mcdonalds next year and there's nothing I can do about it. Quitting drugs is easier said than done and I honestly don't believe that I have the will power. I'll will try though.

Last edited:
Drug addiction does not generally damage people's health, it's the lifesyle that goes with it. Certainly things like heroin do not directly cause any phsyical damage whatsoever.

You can't actually believe what you said can you? I remember going to medical seminars, and one was on heroin addicts and infectious disease. People who would use dirty needles to use heroine would get infections. They then would buy antibiotc drugs on the street, however, the disease they got would become drug resistant and became worse. I remember seeing pics of heroine addicts who had chunks of their flesh rotten from disease, but the addicts were so addicted they would lift up their rotten flesh and inject into flesh that was still intact. They shot up anywhere where their flesh and skin had not rotten away like inbetween their fingers and toes, in their penis, etc. Drug addiction IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH, there is no arguing about it.

Using dirty needles = extreme stupidity ^ What you just said is rediculous IMO. I'm not blaming you, but I am blaming your education.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
I'm not going to incriminate myself, but I'll just say that I realized how much money I could save when I visited www.rhodium.ws.

I have a bad feeling I'll be working in Mcdonalds next year and there's nothing I can do about it. Quitting drugs is easier said than done and I honestly don't believe that I have the will power. I'll will try though.
I didn't expect an answer to my questions. I just wanted you to raise them to you.

Don't try and go it alone, get some help. Good luck.