Distinguish Iron (II) Chloride vs Iron (II) Sulfate | Chemistry Homework Help

In summary, the person is asking for help with their chemistry homework and is stuck on two questions. The first question asks how to distinguish between solutions of iron(II) chloride and iron(II) sulfate, and the second question asks why adding ammonia to iron(II) and iron(III) salts gives the same results as testing for Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ with aqueous sodium hydroxide. The person also asks for a quick response as their homework is due soon.
Elizabeth12
Hi

I need help with my chemistry homework. I'm stuck on the following questions

1. Very dilute solutions of iron(II) chlodie and iron (II) sulfate have similar colours. Explain how you can distinguish solutions of these compounds. Give full details of the tests you can carry out as well as the experted results.

I understand this question, but I can't find any other way to distinguish the two solutions other than the test for anions, which the test results for both are the same. ( both form a white precipitate)

2. Explain why addition of ammonia to iron(II) and iron (III) salts gives the same results as in the test of Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ using aqueous sodium hydroxide.

The effect is the same...but why though?

Please help me answer these questions a.s.a.p because the homework is due tomorrow! thank you!

Likes yyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Elizabeth12 said:
I understand this question, but I can't find any other way to distinguish the two solutions other than the test for anions, which the test results for both are the same. ( both form a white precipitate)

How do you test for chlorides? How do you test for sulfates?

Explain why addition of ammonia to iron(II) and iron (III) salts gives the same results as in the test of Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ using aqueous sodium hydroxide.

What happens when you add ammonia or hydroxide?

1. What is the chemical formula for Iron (II) Chloride?

The chemical formula for Iron (II) Chloride is FeCl2.

2. How does Iron (II) Chloride differ from Iron (II) Sulfate?

Iron (II) Chloride and Iron (II) Sulfate differ in their chemical formulas, with Iron (II) Sulfate having the formula FeSO4. They also differ in their physical and chemical properties, such as solubility, melting point, and reactivity.

3. What are the common uses of Iron (II) Chloride and Iron (II) Sulfate?

Iron (II) Chloride is commonly used as a flocculant in water treatment and as a catalyst in organic reactions. Iron (II) Sulfate is used as a nutrient supplement in fertilizers and as a coagulant in water treatment.

4. How are Iron (II) Chloride and Iron (II) Sulfate prepared?

Iron (II) Chloride can be prepared by reacting iron with hydrochloric acid, while Iron (II) Sulfate can be prepared by reacting iron with sulfuric acid. Both compounds can also be prepared by reacting iron oxide with the respective acid.

5. Are Iron (II) Chloride and Iron (II) Sulfate toxic?

Both Iron (II) Chloride and Iron (II) Sulfate can be toxic if ingested in large quantities. However, they are commonly used in low concentrations and are generally considered safe for use in various applications.