Applying for Tutoring Position: Retaking Algebra Test

In summary, the speaker is applying for a tutoring position at their school and has already passed the pre-interview and taken a test, but did not pass due to not having done algebra in a few years. They have a retest coming up and plan to study using an algebra book and researching the topics they struggled with. They also received advice to review conics and factor correctly. The speaker is concerned about not being able to use calculus for optimization problems and will be more careful during the retest. They also mention that their teacher grades heavily on approach and explanation, which is why they did not pass the test. The speaker is not able to get the tutoring position, but is relieved that it is not due to not knowing the material.
blade123
I'm applying for a tutoring position at my school. I already passed the pre-interview and took the test (basic algebra). I did not pass the algebra test, because it was all stuff I haven't done in a few years.

However I have a retest Monday, and this weekend to study. She wouldn't let me look at my test to see what I did wrong, but I do have an algebra book.

It's weird because in my calculus class, I was getting 100%s on my tests. Then go back to algebra, and there's just SO much you simply don't use again.

Does anyone have any things I really should review for it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Algebra.

Try to remember which topics were on that test that you had trouble with. Research them.

Dividing polynomials.
Go to the library and get an algebra book, look through it and learn/review anything you can't do. There shouldn't be that much, but it's the stuff you don't remember doing that you won't think of to study.

You probably want to brush up on some Conics because atleast in our school, most people had trouble with them.

The person lent me a book, and I'm doing the "final" and I'm having no problems (checking the answers, everything is right). I wonder what I did wrong...

The only problem I really had a problem with on the test was an optimization one. I don't know how you do optimization without calculus. I guess guess and check, but I miss my calculus lol

Can you use a graphing calculator? In my previous Alg II class, I remember using it (unless somehow your optimization was in 2 dimensions:devil:).

No graphing calculator. It's just guess and check.

blade123 said:
No graphing calculator. It's just guess and check.

Well, if it is multiple choice, you could just look for all pairs of coordinates with a positive x-value and then find the one with the greatest y-value, but other than that...it's most likely guess and check

BloodyFrozen said:
Well, if it is multiple choice, you could just look for all pairs of coordinates with a positive x-value and then find the one with the greatest y-value, but other than that...it's most likely guess and check

Nope, no multiple choice. It IS guess and check lol

The thing that's screwing with me the most is I'm going over everything, and I can't find anything I'm really doing wrong. I'm getting the right answers most of the time. I have no clue why I did poorly on the exam. I guess I must have been careless...

blade123 said:
Nope, no multiple choice. It IS guess and check lol

The thing that's screwing with me the most is I'm going over everything, and I can't find anything I'm really doing wrong. I'm getting the right answers most of the time. I have no clue why I did poorly on the exam. I guess I must have been careless...

Double check, Triple check, Quadruple check! :tongue2:

I'm assuming your tutoring AlgII, but make sure you factor right.

ie.

Factor 2x2-5x-3

Make sure to factor into (2x+1)(x-3), not (2x-3)(x+1)!:wink:

BloodyFrozen said:
Double check, Triple check, Quadruple check! :tongue2:

I'm assuming your tutoring AlgII, but make sure you factor right.

ie.

Factor 2x2-5x-3

Make sure to factor into (2x+1)(x-3), not (2x-3)(x+1)!:wink:

Haha, thanks for the advice.

I'm going to be so careful this time. I'm going to check everything 4 times like you said hahaha

blade123 said:
The only problem I really had a problem with on the test was an optimization one. I don't know how you do optimization without calculus. I guess guess and check, but I miss my calculus lol

If the function you're working with is just a quadratic, that doesn't require calculus, just completing the square :wink:

BTW I'm not sure how you did so well in calculus without remembering much algebra; calculus is where you learn algebra, according to my calc teacher!

I might just have been careless. I'm going to make sure I am much more careful. Because reviewing more, there's nothing I don't know really and while doing the problems, I'm doing well.

However she did say "this test is not like other tests, it tests to see how much you've reviewed". Which probably means all trick questions/nuances.

Please do not tutor other students. They need to learn algebra.

What was frustrating me is when I was doing the chapter end problems, I was getting the answers all right.

I retook the test and didn't pass again. I learned why I was doing so poorly, though. They graded heavily on approach. It wasn't enough to just get the answer right, I had to get the approach right. I never took algebra at college, I took it in high school. So it's been awhile and I just learned how to do things kind of the short-hand way. She wanted every single step written out and a ton of explanation, which I wasn't really giving.

I won't be able to get the position, but I'm glad it's not because I don't know what I'm doing. However it DOES make sense that for a tutoring position you should learn to do things very methodically and with a lot of explanation.

blade123 said:
I won't be able to get the position,
Good.

What qualifications do I need to have to apply for a tutoring position for retaking the algebra test?

To apply for a tutoring position for retaking the algebra test, you should have a strong understanding of algebra concepts and be able to effectively communicate and teach these concepts to others. Previous tutoring or teaching experience is also beneficial.

What is the process for applying for a tutoring position for retaking the algebra test?

The process for applying for a tutoring position may vary depending on the specific organization or institution. Generally, you will need to submit an application, which may include your qualifications, experience, and references. You may also need to participate in an interview or demonstrate your knowledge of algebra through a test or sample lesson.

What is the time commitment for a tutoring position for retaking the algebra test?

The time commitment for a tutoring position can vary depending on the needs of the students and the organization. Typically, tutors are expected to commit to a set schedule of hours per week and may also need to attend training or meetings. It is important to discuss the time commitment with the organization before accepting a tutoring position.

How much can I expect to be paid as a tutor for retaking the algebra test?

The pay for tutoring positions can vary depending on the organization, location, and experience of the tutor. Some tutoring positions may offer a set hourly rate, while others may offer a flat fee per session or a salary. It is important to discuss the pay and any potential benefits with the organization before accepting a tutoring position.

What resources will be provided to me as a tutor for retaking the algebra test?

The resources provided to tutors may vary depending on the organization and the specific needs of the students. Generally, tutors will have access to materials such as textbooks, practice problems, and other teaching aids. Some organizations may also provide training or ongoing support for tutors. It is important to inquire about available resources before accepting a tutoring position.