Anyone wanna work through some books together?

In summary, a group of individuals on an online forum were discussing working through various math books together. One member expressed interest in working through Pinter's Abstract Algebra and Thompson's Calculus Made Easy, while another member mentioned having Spivak's Calculus and How to Prove It. They also discussed creating a website for these study groups.
mrwall-e
Hi,

I don't know about other people here but I work best when I have something to hold me to what I was trying to accomplish. So I was wondering (sorry if its not in the right place or something) if anybody wanted to work through (exercises and such) any of the following books:

* Pinter's Abstract Algebra (or any similar books)
* Thompson's Calculus Made Easy (or anything similar)
* How to Prove It
* Anything up to topics of this level

I know it's a lot to ask but I thought I might get lucky :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mrwall-e said:
Hi,

I don't know about other people here but I work best when I have something to hold me to what I was trying to accomplish. So I was wondering (sorry if its not in the right place or something) if anybody wanted to work through (exercises and such) any of the following books:

* Pinter's Abstract Algebra (or any similar books)
* Thompson's Calculus Made Easy (or anything similar)
* How to Prove It
* Anything up to topics of this level

I know it's a lot to ask but I thought I might get lucky :)

If it's worth anything, I would be more than willing to help you through any of these books. :smile: Of course, I already know the material, but that might actually be an advantage...

PM me if you're interested :smile:

I'd snatch micromass as a "partner" any day!:)

you said 'snatch'. lol

Lol
Anyways, to OP: I've been recently suggested to read Pinter. I think I'll go with it. It'd take me a few weeks to order it though...

Dickfore said:
you said 'snatch'. lol

This comming from Dickfore...LMAO!

LMAO at the nerd humor...?

To people who are interested:

We will be collaborating (I hope) on this website: http://thoughtgroups.dyndns.org:3000/ . I'll be creating some more groups as people become interested in more books, etc. I ask to please spare the site of spam... I don't think it's quite ready for that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mrwall-e said:
LMAO at the nerd humor...?
I think calling that "nerd humor" is an insult to nerds!

HallsofIvy said:
I think calling that "nerd humor" is an insult to nerds!

Ehh; but I don't feel insulted, so it can't be. :D

Maybe because your not a nerd! :D

BloodyFrozen said:
Maybe because your not a nerd! :D

Not possible :P.

Changed the address... I hope everything works on the site now: http://thoughtgroups.dyndns.org .

Maybe I'll make a new thread about it. Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll work through it, amazon said Pinter is coming in today or tomorrow. I also have Spivak and How to Prove it.

Kevin_Axion said:
I'll work through it, amazon said Pinter is coming in today or tomorrow. I also have Spivak and How to Prove it.

Cool, if you're interested in joining the discussion, feel free at the website I linked to.

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of working through books together?

The purpose of working through books together is to collaborate with others in order to gain a deeper understanding of the material and to improve learning outcomes. By discussing and analyzing the material with others, it can help clarify any confusion and provide different perspectives.

2. What are the benefits of working through books with others?

There are several benefits to working through books with others, such as enhanced learning through discussion and collaboration, improved critical thinking skills, and increased motivation and accountability. It also allows for the opportunity to learn from others' insights and perspectives.

3. How do I find others to work through books with?

You can find others to work through books with by reaching out to friends, colleagues, or joining online book clubs or study groups. You can also ask for recommendations from your local library or bookstore.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific book in mind before finding a group to work with?

It is not necessary to have a specific book in mind before finding a group to work with. Many book clubs and study groups are open to suggestions and discussions on what material to work through together. It is important to find a group with similar interests and goals in order to have a successful experience.

5. How often should a group meet to work through books together?

The frequency of meetings can vary depending on the size and availability of the group. It is important to establish a consistent schedule that works for everyone involved. Generally, meeting once a week or every two weeks is a good starting point, but it can be adjusted as needed.