Help with probability distribution for description of particle sizes

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of nanoparticles and the need to describe their sizes using a probability distribution. The distribution is found to be asymmetrical with a tail towards larger sizes, and the use of Poisson and Gamma distributions are suggested as potential fits. There is also a mention of the influence of crystal lattice constants and surface termination on the size of the nanoparticles. The speaker also mentions trying different datasets and fitting methods to determine the best distribution fit.
katkak
I study nanoparticles. Basically, they are prepared by being "etched away" from larger chunks of material. I need to describe their sizes, i.e. fit the histogram of measured sizes, with a probability distribution. The measured distribution is clearly asymmetrical with a tail toward larger sizes (see the attached picture, histograms with much higher numbers of occurrences have basically the same shape).

(i) Which probability distribution is suitable for the description of these data?

When trying to fit the data using common distributions (Gauss/Lorentz clearly don't fit very well, lognormal), Poisson seems to be the best match (just judging from the shape).

(ii) Should the distribution be discrete or continuous?

At such small sizes (4 nm) the crystal lattice constant (0.54 nm) becomes significant (i.e. approx. 8 crystal lattices per particle), but the size is also influenced by the rearrangement of atoms at the surface and the surface termination. So, the size is not just "integer multiple" of the crystal lattice constant.

Attachments

• Graph1-ostre.jpg
    Graph1-ostre.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 373
Mathematics news on Phys.org
(this questions belongs in the stats forum)

Have you tried the Gamma distribution?

Thanks, seems to be quite nice. I didn't know this distribution. Is it "natural" for a size distribution to behave as Gamma distribution?

Well, for integer shape parameters the gamma distribution can be interpreted as a sum of exponential random variables so I don't know if that helps.

Also, are you sure the distribution is not lognormal?

I tried the lognormal fit again using a different command in the software (I use Origin, which is sometimes a bit unpredictable) and it doesn't not seem so bad. I'll try to do some more fitting with different datasets and see which distribution fits better.

Thanks a lot.

1. What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a particular outcome or set of outcomes occurring in a given situation. In the context of particle sizes, a probability distribution can be used to describe the likelihood of a particle having a certain size within a given sample.

2. Why is a probability distribution important for describing particle sizes?

A probability distribution is important for describing particle sizes because it allows us to understand the range of particle sizes present in a sample and the likelihood of each size occurring. This can help in determining the characteristics and behavior of the particles, which can have important implications in various scientific fields such as materials science, environmental science, and pharmaceuticals.

3. What are the different types of probability distributions used for describing particle sizes?

There are various types of probability distributions that can be used for describing particle sizes, such as the normal distribution, log-normal distribution, and Weibull distribution. The choice of distribution depends on the characteristics of the particles being studied and the specific research question being addressed.

4. How do you determine the probability distribution of particle sizes?

The probability distribution of particle sizes can be determined by analyzing data from a sample of particles using statistical methods. This involves plotting the data on a graph and fitting a probability distribution curve to the data points. The most commonly used method for determining the best-fit distribution is the method of maximum likelihood.

5. Can a probability distribution be used to predict particle size in a larger population?

Yes, a probability distribution can be used to make predictions about particle size in a larger population. By analyzing a sample of particles and determining the best-fit distribution, we can make informed estimations about the size distribution of the entire population. However, it is important to note that these predictions are based on probability and may not be exact for every individual particle.