How can we find the true solution for cosh x = tanh x?

• Thread starter dimension10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the conversation discussed the equation sin x =cosh x and its solution x=-(\frac{3\pi}{4}+\frac{3i\pi}{4}). Different methods were suggested to derive this solution, such as using exponential forms and substitution. The solution to cos x = sinh x was also discussed, with one method being to recognize the relationship between cosh(x) and cos(ix). However, it was noted that this method may not always yield the correct solution. Ultimately, the conversation concluded with the acknowledgement that this problem may be too advanced for a young student.
dimension10
According to Wolfram Alpha, if sin x =cosh x then [tex]x=-(\frac{3\pi}{4}+\frac{3i\pi}{4})[/tex]

But how do you derive this?

Also, what is the solution to cos x = sinh x in exact form?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Express sin and cosh in their exponential form.

dimension10 said:
According to Wolfram Alpha, if sin x =cosh x then [tex]x=-(\frac{3\pi}{4}+\frac{3i\pi}{4})[/tex]

But how do you derive this?

Also, what is the solution to cos x = sinh x in exact form? Thanks.
This is not true. What's true is that if [tex]x=-(\frac{3\pi}{4}+\frac{3i\pi}{4}),[/tex] then sin x=cosh x. Note that "if A, then B" (where A and B are statements, not numbers) is not equivalent to "if B, then A". For example, "if x=dimension10, then x is human" is not equivalent to "if x is human, then x=dimension10". "if A, then B" is however equivalent to "if not B, then not A". This fact is very useful in proofs.

I would start with the formulas \begin{align}
\sin x=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}\\
\cosh x=\frac{e^{x}-e^{-x}}{2}
\end{align} This is what SteamKing had in mind. I'm including them in this post because I suspect that you don't know them. I realize that you're going to need more than this, but I don't have time to think about this now.

If you type "solve sin x=cosh x" into Wolfram Alpha, it will tell you all the solutions in the complex plane.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
I would start with the formulas

[tex]\sin x=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]

[tex]\cosh x=\frac{e^{x}-e^{-x}}{2}[/tex]

This is what SteamKing had in mind. I'm including them in this post because I suspect that you don't know them.

I do know the exponential forms. However, they do not seem to be helpful in finding x. I even used Euler's formula, but nothing works.

dimension10 said:
I do know the exponential forms. However, they do not seem to be helpful in finding x. I even used Euler's formula, but nothing works.

I suggest substituting y=ex...

But that is still going to give you a messy equation. With the substitution [itex]y= e^x[/itex], I get [itex]y^{1+ i}- y^{1- i}= iy[/itex].

What next?

HallsofIvy said:
But that is still going to give you a messy equation. With the substitution [itex]y= e^x[/itex], I get [itex]y^{1+ i}- y^{1- i}= iy[/itex].

What next?

This might work:

Dividing out y, we get:

[itex]y^{i}- y^{-i}= i[/itex]. (since y != 0)

Setting [itex]z = y^{i}[/itex], you'll get [itex]z - \frac{1}{z} = i[/itex], so:

[tex]z^2 - 1 = iz[/tex] and [itex]z^2 - iz - 1[/itex]

From here, you should get:

[tex]z = \frac{i \pm \sqrt{-1 + 4}}{2}[/tex]

Now, we managed to solve for y^i, but this is where I get stuck.

Fredrik said:
If you type "solve sin x=cosh x" into Wolfram Alpha, it will tell you all the solutions in the complex plane.
Yes, but it does so in a way that shows lack of insight (Mathematica's results ofttimes are messy; but then again, so are Maple's and Maxima's) . Mathematica doesn't recognize that there is a unifying way to represent these solutions:

[tex]x = (n+1/4)(1\pm i)\pi,\quad n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

SteamKing said:
Express sin and cosh in their exponential form.
I like Serena said:
I suggest substituting y=ex...

I suggest setting [itex]x=u+iv[/itex].

After just a bit of work you should arrive at
[tex]\begin{align}
\sin x &= \sin u \cosh v + i \cos u \sinh v \\
\cosh x &= \cos v \cosh u + i \sin v \sinh u
\end{align}[/tex]
Equating the real and imaginary parts yields
[tex]\begin{align}
\sin u \cosh v &= \cos v \cosh u \\
\cos u \sinh v &= \sin v \sinh u
\end{align}[/tex]

And that is more than enough of a hint for now.

Last edited:
Another way to do it is to recognize that cosh(x) = cos(ix)

Then you have sin(x) = cos(ix) and from there you can use the complementary relationship between sin and cos.

Last edited by a moderator:
DH said:
Last edited by D H; T at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Too much help. We don't know if this is homework.
It's not homework. dimension10 is too young to get this sort of problems in school.

Last edited:
uart said:
Another way to do it is to recognize that cosh(x) = cos(ix)

Then you have sin(x) = cos(ix) and from there you can use the complementary relationship between sin and cos.

That's a nice way. Probably wouldn't get any easier.

gb7nash said:
This might work:

Dividing out y, we get:

[itex]y^{i}- y^{-i}= i[/itex]. (since y != 0)

Setting [itex]z = y^{i}[/itex], you'll get [itex]z - \frac{1}{z} = i[/itex], so:

[tex]z^2 - 1 = iz[/tex] and [itex]z^2 - iz - 1[/itex]

From here, you should get:

[tex]z = \frac{i \pm \sqrt{-1 + 4}}{2}[/tex]

Now, we managed to solve for y^i, but this is where I get stuck.

Thanks. Strangely, [tex] i \arcsin z [/tex] is the solution for cosh x = tanh x.

But then x would pi/6 which is false.

Last edited:

1. How do we solve cosh x = tanh x?

One method to solve this equation is by using the identity cosh x = (1/2)(e^x + e^(-x)) and tanh x = (sinh x)/(cosh x). By substituting these values into the equation, we get (1/2)(e^x + e^(-x)) = (sinh x)/(cosh x). This can be simplified to e^x = sinh x, which can then be solved for x.

2. What is the true solution for cosh x = tanh x?

The true solution for this equation is x = 0. This can be verified by substituting x = 0 into the equation and seeing that both sides are equal to 0.

3. Are there any other solutions besides x = 0?

No, there are no other real solutions for this equation. This can be seen by graphing both cosh x and tanh x, which intersect at x = 0 and do not intersect at any other point.

4. Can we use a calculator to find the solution?

Yes, we can use a calculator to find an approximate solution for cosh x = tanh x. However, it is important to note that calculators often use approximations for trigonometric functions, so the solution may not be entirely accurate.

5. Why is it important to find the true solution for cosh x = tanh x?

Finding the true solution for this equation is important in order to fully understand and accurately solve mathematical problems involving hyperbolic functions. It also helps to further develop our understanding of these functions and their properties.