Cauchy Reimann & Complex functions

In summary, the conversation is about a mechanical engineer who needs to revise on Engineering Math, particularly Calculus and Laplace Transforms. They are discussing Complex Variables and Functions in Laplace Transforms, specifically checking if a given function satisfies Cauchy-Riemann and is analytic. The process of rationalizing the denominator is explained, leading to the derivation of Gx and Gy. The person asking for help expresses gratitude for the explanation.
phiby
I am a mechanical engineer who hasn't done any mechanical engineering for close to 20 years & hence forgotten all Mechanical Engineering & all Engineering Mathematics.

I need to revise on some Engineering Math now - Calculus, Laplace Transforms etc. I have been doing it for a couple of days.

I am getting stuck in a discussion of Complex Variables & Complex functions in Laplace Transforms.

G(s) = 1/(s+1)

We are trying to check if this satisfies Cachy-Reimann & hence analytic.

This is how the analysis goes in the notes I am referring to

G(σ + jω) = 1/(σ + jω + 1) = Gx + jGy ---------- (1)

From this, the next line says
"where

Gx = (σ + 1)/ ( (σ + 1)2 + ω2)
Gy = (-ω)/( (σ + 1)2 + ω2)
"

I don't see how you get Gx & Gy from (1)

Can someone help?

If this is based on some other Math stuff which I need to study before getting here, do let me know.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have
[tex]\frac{1}{\sigma+ 1+ j\omega}[/tex]
and, essentially, you want to "rationalize the denominator".

Multiply both numerator and denominator of that fraction by [itex]\sigma+ 1- j\omega[/itex], the "complex conjugate" of the denominator:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sigma+ 1+ j\omega}\frac{\sigma+ 1- j\omega}{\sigma+ 1- j\omega}[/tex]
In the numerator, we will have, of course, [itex]\sigma+ 1- j\omega[/itex]. In the denominator, we have a product of "sum and difference" which is the "difference of the squares"- [itex](\sigma+ 1+ j\omega)(\sigma+ 1- j\omega)= (\sigma+ 1)^2- (j\omega)^2[/itex][itex]= (\sigma+ 1)^2+ \omega^2[/itex] since [itex]j^2= -1[/itex]

That is, the fraction reduces to
[tex]\frac{\sigma+ 1- j\omega}{(\sigma+1)^2+ \omega^2}[/tex]
Gx and Gy are the real and imaginary parts of that.

HallsofIvy said:
You have
[tex]\frac{1}{\sigma+ 1+ j\omega}[/tex]
and, essentially, you want to "rationalize the denominator".

Thank you very much. I was stuck on that for quite some time.

1. What is the Cauchy-Riemann condition?

The Cauchy-Riemann condition is a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a function of a complex variable to be complex differentiable at a point. It states that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the real and imaginary parts of the variable must exist and satisfy certain equations. In simpler terms, it is a condition that must be met for a complex function to be considered differentiable.

2. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a function that maps complex numbers (numbers with both real and imaginary parts) to complex numbers. It can be written in the form f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where z = x + iy and u(x,y) and v(x,y) are real-valued functions of the variables x and y, representing the real and imaginary parts of the function, respectively.

3. What is the significance of complex functions in mathematics?

Complex functions have numerous applications in mathematics, including in complex analysis, number theory, and differential equations. They also have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Additionally, complex functions are important in understanding and visualizing complex numbers and their properties.

4. How are Cauchy-Riemann and complex functions related?

The Cauchy-Riemann condition is a necessary and sufficient condition for a complex function to be differentiable. This means that if a complex function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann condition, it is differentiable. Conversely, if a complex function is differentiable, it must satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann condition. Therefore, the two concepts are closely related and often used together in the study of complex analysis.

5. Can a complex function be both real and imaginary?

No, a complex function cannot be both real and imaginary at the same time. A complex function is defined as a function that maps complex numbers to complex numbers, so it must have both a real and imaginary part. However, a function can have real and imaginary components that are both equal to zero, in which case it would be considered a purely real or purely imaginary function.