Simplify Equation - Can You Help?

• Thread starter hermano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving simplifying an expression and finding the definition of f'(1). The equation is given as \epsilon = \frac{sin(\alpha + \delta \alpha)} {sin(\beta + \delta \beta - \alpha - \delta \alpha)} - \frac{sin(\alpha)} {sin(\beta - \alpha)} and the context is for an error analysis of a physical problem. The conversation also mentions defining f(x) and finding the definition of f'(1).
hermano
Hi,

I'm trying to simplify the following equation, but I'm not sure it can be! Can anybody help me please?

[tex]
\frac{sin(\alpha + \delta \alpha)} {sin(\beta + \delta \beta - \alpha - \delta \alpha)} - \frac{sin(\alpha)} {sin(\beta - \alpha)}
[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hermano said:
Hi,

I'm trying to simplify the following equation, but I'm not sure it can be! Can anybody help me please?

[tex]
\frac{sin(\alpha + \delta \alpha)} {sin(\beta + \delta \beta - \alpha - \delta \alpha)} - \frac{sin(\alpha)} {sin(\beta - \alpha)}
[/tex]

That's not an equation (no equal sign), it is an expression. What is the full equation?

What is the context of the question? Is it for schoolwork, or for a physical problem?

berkeman said:
That's not an equation (no equal sign), it is an expression. What is the full equation?

What is the context of the question? Is it for schoolwork, or for a physical problem?

Oke, the full equation is
[tex]
\epsilon = \frac{sin(\alpha + \delta \alpha)} {sin(\beta + \delta \beta - \alpha - \delta \alpha)} - \frac{sin(\alpha)} {sin(\beta - \alpha)}
[/tex]

It is for an error analyses of a physical problem!

Thanks

Welcome to PF, hermano! :smile:

Let's define [itex]f(x) = {\sin(\alpha x) \over sin(\gamma x)}[/itex].
Do you know what the definition of f'(1) is?

Sure, I'd be happy to help you simplify this equation. Let's start by simplifying the first fraction:

\frac{sin(\alpha + \delta \alpha)} {sin(\beta + \delta \beta - \alpha - \delta \alpha)} = \frac{sin(\alpha)cos(\delta \alpha) + cos(\alpha)sin(\delta \alpha)} {sin(\beta)cos(\delta \beta) - cos(\beta)sin(\delta \beta) - sin(\alpha)cos(\delta \alpha) - cos(\alpha)sin(\delta \alpha)}

Next, we can use the fact that sin(x) = cos(\pi/2 - x) to simplify the second fraction:

\frac{sin(\alpha)} {sin(\beta - \alpha)} = \frac{cos(\pi/2 - \alpha)} {cos(\pi/2 - (\beta - \alpha))} = \frac{cos(\pi/2 - \alpha)} {cos(\alpha - \pi/2 + \beta)} = \frac{cos(\pi/2 - \alpha)} {sin(\alpha + \beta)}

Now, we can substitute these simplified fractions back into the original equation and combine like terms to get the final simplified form:

\frac{sin(\alpha + \delta \alpha)} {sin(\beta + \delta \beta - \alpha - \delta \alpha)} - \frac{sin(\alpha)} {sin(\beta - \alpha)} = \frac{cos(\alpha)sin(\delta \alpha)} {sin(\beta)cos(\delta \beta) - cos(\beta)sin(\delta \beta) - sin(\alpha)cos(\delta \alpha) - cos(\alpha)sin(\delta \alpha)} - \frac{cos(\pi/2 - \alpha)} {sin(\alpha + \beta)}

I hope this helps simplify the equation for you. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

1. What is the purpose of simplifying an equation?

Simplifying an equation helps to make it easier to understand and work with. It can also reveal patterns and relationships between variables.

2. How do I simplify an equation?

To simplify an equation, start by combining like terms and using the correct order of operations. Then, you can factor out common terms and use mathematical properties such as the distributive property to simplify further.

3. Why is it important to check your work when simplifying an equation?

It is important to check your work when simplifying an equation to ensure that you have not made any mistakes and that the final answer is correct. This can also help to identify any errors and correct them.

4. Can an equation be simplified in different ways?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to simplify an equation. However, the final answer should be the same regardless of the method used.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying equations more efficiently?

One tip for simplifying equations efficiently is to practice and become familiar with mathematical properties and techniques, such as factoring and distributing. Additionally, breaking down the equation into smaller parts and working on one step at a time can also help to simplify equations more efficiently.