Identifying Gate Logic Symbol on Spec Sheet: Digital Fundamentals Paper

• Thread starter Apple&Orange
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gate Logic
In summary, the conversation is about identifying a specific logic symbol on a spec sheet for a digital fundamentals paper. The symbol is a diamond surrounded by 4 triangles and is located near pins 5, 3, 2, 4, and 1. The conversation also discusses the placement of pins 16 and 8 on the spec sheet and identifies VDD and VSS as the supply voltage and ground pins for the IC. It is determined that the logic symbol in question is a transmission gate.
Apple&Orange
Hi there

I'm currently doing a digital fundamentals paper and I was wondering if anyone could identify a logic symbol on the spec sheet attached, and what's it used for. It's on page 4, and the logic symbol is a diamond that is surrounded by 4 traingles. Theres eight of them and it's near pins 5, 3, 2, 4, and 1.
Also, where would pins 16 and 8 go on the spec sheet?

Cheers

Attachments

• MC14543BD.pdf
    104.7 KB · Views: 219
Engineering news on Phys.org
Guessing here but from the descriptions those are the latches. The load line either allows the current data to flow through (not active) or latches in the previous output (latched case).

Well VDD is your supply voltage and VSS is ground most likely. If you are asking where they would go on the logic diagram they would be all over the places as what you are seeing as logic blocks are made of transistors which require connection to both of those.

Apple&Orange said:
Hi there

I'm currently doing a digital fundamentals paper and I was wondering if anyone could identify a logic symbol on the spec sheet attached, and what's it used for. It's on page 4, and the logic symbol is a diamond that is surrounded by 4 traingles. Theres eight of them and it's near pins 5, 3, 2, 4, and 1.
Also, where would pins 16 and 8 go on the spec sheet?

Cheers

They are transmission gates:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/4243

And what do you mean by where do Vdd and Vss go on the "spec sheet"? As Floid says, they are the power and ground pins for the IC.

Oh right, sorry, don't know what I was thinking when I was typing haha! Thanks a lot!

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. Based on the information provided, it sounds like the logic symbol you are referring to is a multiplexer or "MUX" for short. The diamond shape with four triangles surrounding it is a commonly used representation for a multiplexer in logic diagrams. The MUX is used to select one of several input signals and pass it through to the output based on the control inputs.

As for pins 16 and 8, without seeing the spec sheet it is difficult to say exactly where they would be located. However, typically in digital circuits, pins are numbered sequentially and are grouped together based on their function. It is possible that pins 16 and 8 could be part of a separate section or category on the spec sheet.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your digital fundamentals paper!

1. What is gate logic?

Gate logic refers to the fundamental building blocks of digital circuits, which are used to perform logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. These operations are based on Boolean algebra and are essential for the functioning of computers and other digital devices.

2. How do you identify gate logic in a circuit?

To identify gate logic in a circuit, you need to first understand the basic symbols and truth tables for different types of gates. Then, you can analyze the circuit and determine which gates are being used based on their inputs and outputs. You may also use a logic probe or a logic analyzer to help with the identification process.

3. What are the different types of gate logic?

The most common types of gate logic are AND, OR, and NOT gates. Other types include NAND, NOR, XOR, and XNOR gates. Each type of gate has a unique truth table and performs a specific logical operation.

4. How does gate logic work?

Gate logic works by using electronic components called transistors to manipulate the flow of electricity. Each gate has one or more input signals and produces a single output signal based on the logical operation being performed. The output signal is either a high voltage (logic 1) or a low voltage (logic 0), depending on the inputs and the type of gate.

5. What are some applications of gate logic?

Gate logic is used in a wide range of digital devices, including computers, smartphones, and calculators. It is also used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as control systems, robotics, and digital signal processing. Additionally, gate logic is essential in the design and development of complex circuits and systems, making it a crucial concept in the field of electrical engineering.