Men vs. Women in Physics Careers

In summary, most people in physics are men due to an inherent difference in abilities. Women have not been encouraged enough to do physics, this is why they mostly do well in other sciences, but do poorly in physics. Women are not accepted into graduate school based on their academic record, but rather their physical features. However, if the difference in math ability between gender IS something inherent from birth, then this will not happen, and we will see more lower ability women being accepted unfairly over more suitable men.
Moonbear, I tried to find that study about female students studying more seriously, but I could not find it on the internet. I read about that study in a local newspaper some years ago.

The other point I made about girls being less inclined to be involved in activities outside the curriculum is based on my personal experience, so it may not be true in general. But I do think that it is related to the first point about girls studying more seriously.

What I have noted lately is that due to changes in our educational system students, regardless of gender, are actually behaving more like high school students and won't explore anything beyond their curriculum.

So, if you give students some problem to solve for homework and there is a mathematical obstacle that requires the students to do a little more work beyond what they have learned in math class, the students will simply come back to me and say that they couldn't do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
RufusDawes said:
cause male brain is larger and more powerful.. female brain focus on picking beries.

Sad but true. Women prefer neat linear compartments. Not to say a smart woman can't do what she pleases and shouldn't be encouraged to. Silly argument b.c answer is so obvious..

I'm going to assume you just enjoy stirring people. No-one really thinks that anymore, right?
:frown:

Maybe some of it comes from being an engendered field and some unenlightened advising, teaching, and even hiring and work practices: Since no-one else out here is providing any references on this (many of these from Jill Marshall's AAPT 2006 talk: The Gender Gap in Physics: Explanations, Data, Analysis -- personally I've become sick of all the gender-bias in physics. So sick of it all I avoid gender-related PER research like Jill's because it depresses me.):

Maybe her education was not equal: * Kahle, Jane Butler and Marsha K. Lakes (1983) The myth of equality in science classrooms. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 20: 131-140. (I have personally read on graduate selection committee letters that even though she did better on the GRE than a male applicant, and has more research experience (via publications) than that male counterpart that her adviser still writes that she "looks cute working in the lab" rather than about her research technique. )

She might even be turned down from a job or application because her CV has a female name (while I was a grad student this came out... in science or nature, but I can't find it and am busy today)

She might be given more grunt work and less opportunity: http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080423/full/452918a.html

While there might be "some" differences in spatial verbal skills it's not "significantly" different and it's not biologically evident:
*Hedges, L.V. & Nowell, A.(1995). Sex differences in mental test scores, variability, and numbers of high-scoring individuals, Science, 269, 41-45.
Cahill, L. (2005). His brain, her brain, Scientific American, 292, 40-47.

P.S. regarding "foreign" scientists... A lot of the Nobel Prizes in physics have been given to U.S. nationals... and many of those were born and raised and received their education here. www.nobelprize.org -- this of course assumes you are US like I am -- and I really think that's a centrist way of looking at things b/c there's a lot of national variation on this forum thank goodness!)

-- And did you know D. Jin at Boulder just made an ultra-cold fermi gas? That might be nobel-worthy in the future... oh yeah -- and the "D." is for "Debbie".

P.S. just ask my husband (a sociologist)... I'm certainly not neat, linear, and certainly NOT compartmentalized via my housekeeping tendencies. And according to him, the start to this topic and some responses therein are from ignorant sexist $%#@#$#%#'s. :smile:

Let's not forget the frustrating and still prevalent, "I have to support a wife and kids so need a higher salary" argument that still seems to be successful. I've never had as much success with the, "I don't have a husband to support me so need more money" approach. :uhh:

Tiger99 said:
I'm going to assume you just enjoy stirring people. No-one really thinks that anymore, right?
:frown:

I hope so too. I'm going to take it as a joke, albeit a VERY BAD joke.

i am a 17yr old girl and i ve been passionate about physics since i was 13 when the actual demarcation was made from the other sciences. it has to be the most beautiful science compared to everything else. i ve personally had no difficulty studyin physics and reading hawkings books even when i was in 9th grade. but i find men more interested in phy and more willing to discuss theories with me esp those concerning quantum physics and cosmology.

I must add that I am an 18 year old female, just about to graduate from high school. I plan to enter the field of chemical engineering in the fall. I feel that sadly, although my math teachers have been female, I have not been pushed in school. Now I don't think the guys were pushed any more than I was, but my teachers look at me strangely when I tell them that I am going into engineering. I was never encouraged to enter the field until I excelled in a college-level chemistry class (male teacher). This push has made a great difference, something to give encouragement that I may contribute to the knowledge base rather than just be a much-needed minority. I think most girls throughout high school and grade school are kept away from the math and science classes; I was always encouraged to enter english and history classes due to the fact that I did well on the tests, even though I did much better on the subjects I enjoy.

I have no female friends with whom I can discuss my readings; it is mainly my teacher and two male friends. Granted, I go to a fairly small school, but it is disheartening. I wish I would have been steered toward physics from a younger age, because now that I have found it I am in love. However, I must also be somewhat thankful that I have discovered my passion and am not going to be stuck analyzing Shakespeare and the Renaissance for the rest of my life (no offense..I enjoy learning about it but I see no point in devoting one's life to the study of human creations).

Null_ said:
I must add that I am an 18 year old female, just about to graduate from high school. I plan to enter the field of chemical engineering in the fall. I feel that sadly, although my math teachers have been female, I have not been pushed in school. Now I don't think the guys were pushed any more than I was, but my teachers look at me strangely when I tell them that I am going into engineering. I was never encouraged to enter the field until I excelled in a college-level chemistry class (male teacher). This push has made a great difference, something to give encouragement that I may contribute to the knowledge base rather than just be a much-needed minority. I think most girls throughout high school and grade school are kept away from the math and science classes; I was always encouraged to enter english and history classes due to the fact that I did well on the tests, even though I did much better on the subjects I enjoy.

I have no female friends with whom I can discuss my readings; it is mainly my teacher and two male friends. Granted, I go to a fairly small school, but it is disheartening. I wish I would have been steered toward physics from a younger age, because now that I have found it I am in love. However, I must also be somewhat thankful that I have discovered my passion and am not going to be stuck analyzing Shakespeare and the Renaissance for the rest of my life (no offense..I enjoy learning about it but I see no point in devoting one's life to the study of human creations).
If engineering is your passion, go for it! I would recommend finding a mentor. Also, when attending university, look into the professional engineering society in your major. For chemical engineering, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, www.aiche.org[/url], and more specifically, the students section - [url]http://www.aiche.org/Students/[/URL]

We have summer interns, and this summer, a female student is working in our office.

My company has a female PhD Mech E who is one of the best in the industry. We had a female Mech E who had a law degree but had gone back to school to obtain a MS degree in Mech E. I have a female friend who is a Civil Engineer, and she just completed a law degree.
I work with many other female PhDs in the nuclear industry, at the national labs or who do research and teach at university. There a many possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
If engineering is your passion, go for it! I would recommend finding a mentor. Also, when attending university, look into the professional engineering society in your major. For chemical engineering, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, www.aiche.org[/url], and more specifically, the students section - [url]http://www.aiche.org/Students/[/URL]

We have summer interns, and this summer, a female student is working in our office.

My company has a female PhD Mech E who is one of the best in the industry. We had a female Mech E who had a law degree but had gone back to school to obtain a MS degree in Mech E. I have a female friend who is a Civil Engineer, and she just completed a law degree.
I work with many other female PhDs in the nuclear industry, at the national labs or who do research and teach at university. There a many possibilities.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the words! I'm going to be in an honors program, which provides us a mentor. I'm also definitely going to look into the chemE society. There is also a female engineer club at my campus, which I'll most likely join. I really never thought much about being different than the guys, since most of my friends now are guys. I hope people don't make a deal about it..but I expect that it's getting better. After all, something like 20% of the chemEs are female, and there is a larger percent than that as professors. :)

Tiger99 said:
I generalized a lot to make this easy to say... Does it ring true with anyone though?

Absolutely. In some areas of physics there is a very, very strong *macho* atmosphere. I can do this integral and you can't so I'm *BETTER* than you. Oh YEAH! Well you are *STUPID* since I can do this integral better than you SO THERE. YOU ARE WEAK AND STUPID AND I RULE! HAHAHHA! You think you are smart, well *I* just published this paper, and won this award *SO THERE*

This is an environment which fit male gender roles.

However, one thing that has changed gender roles is the role of physics. In the 1960's, physicists got a lot of money to build bigger and better bombs and building bombs to make sure that you can fight the person across the ocean that is also trying to build bombs is a "male" role. If you look at what parts of physics are getting money today, people aren't interested in building bigger bombs to fight the Russians. What people are really, really scared of is *dying* or worse yet *dying horribly*.

So where the big money is is in the biological sciences. Biophysics and NIH is getting huge amounts of money. This helps women a lot because it fits into the female stereotype of the "caring nurturer." This has dramatically shifted the balance of power in research universities.

The premise that women are better at cooking and sewing is patently false. I would like to point out, I am a great chef and can sew. Until you have tried my salmon rissoto, you are in no position to say women can cook better than men. I also made my wife a lovely skirt for her birthday. I only got my Ph.D. in physics to sound cool at parties.

Jamesmo, we'll see you http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t1k5" [Broken] then!

The gender disparity is a huge issue - who else will lonely physicists date? Bio majors?

But in all seriousness, yes the neurology research shows men are better at spatial reasoning, which may lend itself to the sciences better than a woman's brain does. So, if you were to have completely equal social conditions, women by that reasoning should be in slightly less numbers than men. This effect (if that postulated cause really does have any effect to begin with) could be exacerbating the fact that the gender gap in science education is only beginning to close. After all, the gap in all education, science or otherwise, wasn't closed too long ago.

Maybe women just don't (or are less inclined to) care about photons and neutrinos.

I think in general, men are more likely to be interested in being rigorous. In my own experience even in the bar, men are more like to "argue" just for the sake of finding the answer to a random question.

Jo Brand summarises amusingly (but insightfully):
I said to my husband the other week, "Can you Hoover the front room while I'm at the shops," right? And I came back . . . All the furniture was out in the garden. He's on his hands and knees with the Hoover, using an attachment I'd never even seen before. And it just leads me to think that men are probably actually much better at housework than women.
I can do this integral and you can't so I'm *BETTER* than you.
That behaviour isn't exclusive to men though. Well..maybe in terms of integration it is.

From the American Physical Society - Women in Physics
APS, through the Committee on the Status of Women in Physics (CSWP), is committed to encouraging the recruitment, retention, and career development of women physicists at all levels.
[Please read on . . . ]
http://www.aps.org/programs/women/index.cfm

I just finished a QM course that's part of a Master's program in physics. Some 1/3 of the class were women! And that's in a graduate class!

But something twofish said really rang true, at least in my undergrad classes. It was very, very competitive environment, very macho, like a sport. Not what I would call a friendly atmosphere. I can easily see how a young person, male or female, could be turned off by that.

It's completely the opposite here! Sharing notes, revising together, giving each other hints (not the full solution though of course)...I think it's more or less a good environment. People want to be at the top of course, so they work hard to keep up with their peers.
This is despite the fact that grading is done almost entirely by percentiles (the top x% get an X).

Well I do maths, not physics, but the mentality is somewhat similar.
Maybe I'm lucky then.

lisab said:
But something twofish said really rang true, at least in my undergrad classes. It was very, very competitive environment, very macho, like a sport. Not what I would call a friendly atmosphere. I can easily see how a young person, male or female, could be turned off by that.

Hi lisab:biggrin: More than likely what will make a difference in the future is the fact that K-12 are now being introduced to physics: " Physics is the scientific study of the basic principles of the universe, including matter, energy, motion and force, and their interactions. Major topics include classical mechanics, thermodynamics, light and optics, electromagnetism and relativity." You can see by exploring the following website what is now being offered to teachers of K-12. Some of the kids (boys and girls) are enjoying the classes. Of course where I'm from, adults don't draw lines between gender. Equal opportunity in K-12.lol!.:biggrin: I'll share a secret with you, the little girls in my neck of the woods are very astute and have good manners and so do the young boys.
http://teachengineering.org/view_su...on/wpi_/subject_areas/wpi_physics/physics.xml

As a woman with a long history of employment, there will always be days of enjoyment and stress. Hopefully, good stress.:wink: Healthy minded people in general do like to climb the ladder of success and manage quite successfully to remain good friends with co-workers. Starting a project and finishing it is a great feeling no matter what your profession might be! A professional always attempts to be friendly.:biggrin:

I agree with what Jerbearrrrrr and Ki Man are saying about differences between men and women. But I also think these sorts of differences are only relevant at all because of a bad physics and math educational system in high school and primary school.

What happens is that many students, boys and girls, get a misleading picture of physics and math and will decide not to study such boring topics at university. The few students who do decide to study such topics will typically be those students who have pursued their own interest in these topics by reading books etc. Typically there will be more boys than girls who do that in case of math and physics.

Similarly, if we were to stop all English lessons in schools beyond lessons aimed at teaching the alphabet, spelling and very basic grammar then, over time, almost everyone would be practically analphabets. The small fraction who are good at reading and writing would be dominated by women. This would then lead to women dominating most academic topics, because reading and writing are such essential skills and because without being able to read well, you would't even know what interesting topics there are to learn about.

Ki Man said:
But in all seriousness, yes the neurology research shows men are better at spatial reasoning, which may lend itself to the sciences better than a woman's brain does.

I'd appreciate reviewing the research. Please provide me the article(s) from a peer-reviewed journel that substantiates your claim. :smile:

ViewsofMars said:
I'd appreciate reviewing the research. Please provide me the article(s) from a peer-reviewed journel that substantiates your claim. :smile:

I can't believe you missed the article. Though some differences were present early, those resolved at later timepoints. To remind you of the article:

R. U. Kidding, et.al., "Spatial reasoning of the male mind: Do men space out during the spring semister more than women?", Am. Jour. of Mandom, June, 2003 p 523-523.5.

Abstract: We observed 50 subjects (two cohorts: 25 male, 25 female) all in seniors at a 4 year college for behaviors that could be traced to the known condition of "graduation-pattern-spaciness". These behaviors include, staring out windows, sipping beers with friends, and spending excessive amount of time with other participates in the study, not of their study cohort. We coorrelated these with outdoor temperature, time to graduation, and major.

CONCLUSION: The males in the study did demonstrate a 25% higher "spaciness" in the earlier time groups (March and April, p< 0.05), however both cohorts (male and female) achieved a similar level of spaciness in May (p=0.3). The correlation in both cohorts with outdoor temperature was high (r=0.95). Physicists tended to be more vulnerable to the effects of graduation-pattern-spaciness.

"
jamesmo said:
I can't believe you missed the article. Though some differences were present early, those resolved at later timepoints. To remind you of the article:

R. U. Kidding, et.al., "Spatial reasoning of the male mind: Do men space out during the spring semister more than women?", Am. Jour. of Mandom, June, 2003 p 523-523.5.

Abstract: We observed 50 subjects (two cohorts: 25 male, 25 female) all in seniors at a 4 year college for behaviors that could be traced to the known condition of "graduation-pattern-spaciness". These behaviors include, staring out windows, sipping beers with friends, and spending excessive amount of time with other participates in the study, not of their study cohort. We coorrelated these with outdoor temperature, time to graduation, and major.

CONCLUSION: The males in the study did demonstrate a 25% higher "spaciness" in the earlier time groups (March and April, p< 0.05), however both cohorts (male and female) achieved a similar level of spaciness in May (p=0.3). The correlation in both cohorts with outdoor temperature was high (r=0.95). Physicists tended to be more vulnerable to the effects of graduation-pattern-spaciness.
"

What you have now presented hasn't previously appeared on this topic. I'd appreciate a link (url) to what you have presented. Also, a link(url) to "Am. Jour. of Mandom" would be helpful. (If this is a scientific journal then I am not familiar with it.) This also seems to be a type of trial study, which I surely don't consider it to be a scientifically peer-reviewed article. What you have presented from "Am. Jour. of Mandom" has little to do with your statement, "But in all seriousness, yes the neurology research shows men are better at spatial reasoning, which may lend itself to the sciences better than a woman's brain does."

Last edited:
ViewsofMars said:
""

What you have now presented hasn't previously appeared on this topic. I'd appreciate a link (url) to what you have presented. Also, a link(url) to "Am. Jour. of Mandom" would be helpful. This also seems to be a type of trial study, which I surely don't consider to be a scientifically peer-reviewed article. What you have presented from "Am. Jour. of Mandom" has little to do with your statement, "But in all seriousness, yes the neurology research shows men are better at spatial reasoning, which may lend itself to the sciences better than a woman's brain does."

The Am. Jour. of Mandom is one of several journals from the International Academy of Quackery. (www.iaq.org) Some of its other famous Journals are: Journal of Underwater Basketweaving, Amero-Franco Journal of Vino Therapy, and Crystal Therapy Review Letters.

Also, "But in all seriousness, yes the neurology research shows men are better at spatial reasoning, which may lend itself to the sciences better than a woman's brain does." wasn't my quote, I just happen to be a member of the IAQ and receive their journal.

I call this my "Switch and Bait." :smile: Easy to catch two, jamesmo ('a member of the IAQ and recieve their journal' which he states is from 'the International Academy of Quackery') and infers that Ki Man msg. #82 pertains to an article that came from the Am. Jour. of Mandom which is from 'the International Academy of Quackery' which the link jamesmo provided indicates it is not 'the International Academy of Quackery' but the INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY for QUALITY.

My conclusion is the IAQ (the International Academy of Quackery) purposed by jamesmo is not a peer-reviewed science journal such as internationally known Science and Nature AND neither is the International Academy for Quality. :smile:

Last edited:
Wow ladies and gentlemen...this thread has singlehandedly caused me to lose a great deal of respect for the quality of scientists who frequent these forums. I have never seen such a festering mess of anecdotal evidence, generalization, and unscientific gossip.

The greatest weakness of any scientists is his/her predisposition to compartmentalization of science. I see here eminent physicists falling back upon anecdotal evidence instead of discussing the details of human sexual dimorphism. This is a field that is progressing rapidly, and there are many excellent authors who tackle this issue from a variety of perspectives: anthropology, evolutionary psychology, game theory, and many more.We aren't asking the right questions. We see a trend of females not excelling at the highest levels of academia. We also see a trend in females reading romance novels, and females becoming infatuated with actors/athletes/millionaires and other successful males. Conversely, we see men are obsessed with challenging activities such as science, politics, sport and finance. To validate these trends, controlled scientific trials are required; and believe me, they have been performed. The hypotheses that describe these phenomena exist, have a staggering amount of evidence supporting them, and are excellent predictors of future trends.

But then, as with any science that deals with humans, the results are deemed "controversial". This obviously means nothing to a scientist, for there are facts and there are explanations of facts. I shall not proceed further, and will let readers come to their own conclusions. I recommend Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene and The Extended Phenotype, followed by Matt Ridley's The Red Queen for starters.

I challenge all those readers interested in this topic to read the above two works, and go onto reading more detailed works if your curiosity is sparked. If not, you must understand that you are willingly choosing a path of scientific ignorance, and thus none of your arguments will hold a single grain of objectivity with which we can collaborate and discuss interesting hypotheses on the subject of human sexual dimorphism.

"
FD3SA said:
We see a trend of females not excelling at the highest levels of academia. We also see a trend in females reading romance novels, and females becoming infatuated with actors/athletes/millionaires and other successful males. Conversely, we see men are obsessed with challenging activities such as science, politics, sport and finance. To validate these trends, controlled scientific trials are required; and believe me, they have been performed. The hypotheses that describe these phenomena exist, have a staggering amount of evidence supporting them, and are excellent predictors of future trends.
"

Hi FD3SA, welcome. :biggrin: Do you have any articles from a peer-reviewed journal that will support your claim? Clinical trials often reflect a small group of individuals. These trials continue on for years until a break-through occurs. I am not saying that scientific trials are worthless, but often I see a very small number of individuals involved then next you know it's being broadcast on the Internet that "all men and/or woman".:mad: A generalization is made which doesn't truly reflect the trial study of a small population.

"
FD3SA said:
We aren't asking the right questions. We see a trend of females not excelling at the highest levels of academia. We also see a trend in females reading romance novels, and females becoming infatuated with actors/athletes/millionaires and other successful males. Conversely, we see men are obsessed with challenging activities such as science, politics, sport and finance. To validate these trends, controlled scientific trials are required; and believe me, they have been performed. The hypotheses that describe these phenomena exist, have a staggering amount of evidence supporting them, and are excellent predictors of future trends.
"

How many females and males reside in the U.S.A.? How many females and males reside in the UK? How many females and males live on this planet?:biggrin: How many females did you "see" in the trend as you mention above? Was there a reason males were left out of the trial that you did see? Once again I ask, "Do you have any articles from a peer-reviewed journal that will support your claim?" I would like to see the results of these trials that resulted in a trend that you did see.

Last edited:
ViewsofMars said:
Hi FD3SA, welcome. :biggrin: Do you have any articles from a peer-reviewed journal that will support your claim? Clinical trials often reflect a small group of individuals. These trials continue on for years until a break-through occurs. I am not saying that scientific trials are worthless, but often I see a very small number of individuals involved then next you know it's being broadcast on the Internet that "all men and/or woman".:mad: A generalization is made which doesn't truly reflect the trial study of a small population.

How many females and males reside in the U.S.A.? How many females and males reside in the UK? How many females and males live on this planet?:biggrin:

Hi ViewofMars,

I actually deleted a paragraph (for brevity's sake) that explained further what I meant when I spoke of hypothesis describing human sexual dimorphism. It went something along these lines:

When we speak anecdotally of male/female behaviour, we refer to very specific incidences (e.g. female mathematical ability). However, we must understanding that the current theory of human sexual dimorphism is nowhere near this level of sophistication and as such cannot make accurate predictions of how female neural plasticity lends itself to mathematical faculty (compared to males). I do not try to confer potential quantum states from the muffin model of the atom; I would beg of you not to do the same with human sexual dimorphism. Such discussions inevitably degrade into the realm of opinion, where anything goes and everything is "equally right". I would say the past six pages have thus far demonstrated this phenomena admirably.

This being said, the current theory of human sexual dimorphism does explain the majority of male/female behavioural predisposition as an extended phenotype that has conferred a selective advantage among successive generations. Thus, we can begin to guess why females are predisposed to certain behaviour (romance novels, successful men, etc.) and men to others (challenging pursuit). We have simply grounded our guesses in the existing realm of science, rather than whimsical circus of opinion.

Finally, I firmly admit that I have no firm scientific answer to questions like "are males predisposed to mathematical ability vs. females". But I do have some insight as to how males and females differ from an evolutionary perspective; this view lends itself to the formulation of some interesting hypothesis. I merely wish that I could discuss my hypothesis with an audience that views this problem objectively. The last six pages have left my curiosity in a dire thirst for objective discussion.

FD3SA said:
Finally, I firmly admit that I have no firm scientific answer to questions like "are males predisposed to mathematical ability vs. females". But I do have some insight as to how males and females differ from an evolutionary perspective; this view lends itself to the formulation of some interesting hypothesis. I merely wish that I could discuss my hypothesis with an audience that views this problem objectively. The last six pages have left my curiosity in a dire thirst for objective discussion.

Hi FD3SA, thank you for your honesty. I suggest that you ask a Mentor for help. Hopefully, you might be able to discuss this on another forum. I for one would be interested in your comments. :smile: I did present a document sometime back that may be of help to you. I'll search for it. :smile:

I've found it! This is what I posted to Physics Forums > Other Sciences > Social Sciences - Topic: On the issue of kids not pursuing engineering/science/math these days.
Msg. 143

The National Science Board’s newly released SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING INDICTORS 2010. It's 566 pages. ( I love to read.) Here are excerpts from a few chapters.
Chapter 7. Science and Technology: Public Attitudes and Understanding
7-4
Information Sources, Interest, and Involvement

Television and the Internet are the primary sources

Americans use for science and technology (S&T) information.
The Internet is the main source of information for learning about specific scientific issues such as global climate change or biotechnology.

-More Americans select television as their primary source of S&T information than any other medium.
-The Internet ranks second among sources of S&T information, and its margin over other sources is large and has been growing.
-Internet users do not always assume that online S&T information is accurate. About four out of five have checked on the reliability of information at least once.

Continuing a long-standing pattern, Americans consistently express high levels of interest in S&T in surveys. However, other indicators, such as the types of news they follow closely, suggest a lower level of interest.

-High levels of interest in S&T are part of a long-standing trend, with more than 80% of Americans reporting they were “very” or “moderately” interested in new scientific discoveries. But relative to other news topics, interest in S&T is not particularly high.

-As with many news topics, the percentage of Americans who say they follow “science and technology” news “closely” has declined over the last 10 years.

-Recent surveys in other countries, including South Korea, China, and much of Europe, indicate that the overall level of public interest in “new scientific discoveries” and “use of new inventions and technologies” tends to be higher in the United States.

-Interest in “environmental pollution” or “the environment” is similarly high in the U.S., Europe, South Korea, and Brazil. About 9 in 10 respondents in each country expressed interest in this topic.

In 2008, a majority of Americans said they had visited an informal science institution such as a zoo or a natural history museum within the past year. This proportion is generally consistent with results from surveys conducted since 1979, but slightly lower than the proportion recorded in 2001.

-Americans with more formal education are much more likely to engage in informal science activities.
-Compared with the United States, visits to informal science institutions tend to be less common in Europe, Japan, China, Russia, and Brazil.

Public Knowledge About S&T

Many Americans do not give correct answers to questions about basic factual knowledge of science or the scientific inquiry process.
-Americans’ factual knowledge about science is positively related to their formal education level, income level, the number of science and math courses they have taken, and their verbal ability.
-People who score well on long-standing knowledge measures that test for information typically learned in school also appear to know more about new science related topics
such as nanotechnology.

Levels of factual knowledge of science in the United States are comparable to those in Europe and appear to be higher than in Japan, China, or Russia.
-In the United States, levels of factual knowledge of science have been stable; Europe shows evidence of recent improvement in factual knowledge of science.
-In European countries, China, and Korea demographic variations in factual knowledge are similar to those in the United States.

Compared to the mid-1990s, Americans show a modest improvement in understanding the process of scientific inquiry in recent years.
-Americans’ understanding of scientific inquiry is strongly associated with their factual knowledge of science and level of education.
-Americans’ scores on questions measuring their understanding of the logic of experimentation and controlling variables do not differ by sex. In contrast, men tend to score higher than women on factual knowledge questions in the physical sciences.

Public Attitudes About S&T in General

Americans in all demographic groups consistently endorse the past achievements and future promise of S&T.
-In 2008, 68% of Americans said that the benefits of scientific research have strongly outweighed the harmful results, and only 10% said harmful results slightly or strongly outweighed the benefits.
-Nearly 9 in 10 Americans agree with the statement “because of science and technology, there will be more opportunities for the next generation.”
-Americans also express some reservations about science. Nearly half of Americans agree that “science makes our way of life change too fast.”

7-15

International Comparisons
Using identical questions, recent surveys conducted in other countries indicate that the overall level of self-reported public interest in S&T is lower than in the United States. Between 75% and 80% of survey respondents in South Korea, China, and Europe said they were “very” or “moderately” interested in “new scientific discoveries” and “use of new inventions and technologies” compared to 86% and 88% respectively of Americans in the 2008 GSS, respectively (appendix table 7-4) (KOFAC 2009; CRISP 2008; EC 2005).

Using slightly different questions, about three-quarters of Brazilians said they were “very interested” or “a little interested” in “science and technology” (MCT of Brazil 2006). In Malaysia, 58% of the respondents said they were “interested” or “very interested” in the “latest inventions in new technology” and 51% in the “latest inventions in science”
(MASTIC 2004).

In the 2005 European survey (called the 2005 “Eurobarometer”), there was considerable variation among different countries in self-reported interest in S&T-related issues, and the overall level of interest was down from the most recent survey in 1992. In both the United States and in Europe, men showed more interest in S&T than women. For more recent European data on interest in scientific research in general, see sidebar “Scientific Research in the Media in Europe.”5 Interest in environmental issues is similarly high in the United States, Europe, South Korea, and Brazil—about 9 in 10 respondents in each country or region expressed interest in this topic, although slight variations in survey terminology should be taken into account.6 In Malaysia, interest in
“environmental pollution” was lower (61% said they were
“interested” or “very interested” in this issue).

Like Americans, Europeans and Brazilians are more interested in medicine than in S&T in general. In the United States, nearly everyone was interested in new medical discoveries (94%) ; in Brazil, most people (91%) were interested in “medicine and health” issues. In Europe, South Korea, and China, interest in new medical discoveries seemed to be lower—between 77% and 83% said they were “very” or “moderately” interested in this issue. In Malaysia, 59% indicated they were “interested” or “very interested” in the “latest inventions in the field of medicine.”7
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind10/pdf/seind10.pdf [Broken]

The National Science Board’s newly released SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING INDICTORS 2010. It's 566 pages. ( I love to read.) Here are excerpts from a few chapters.
7-4
Information Sources, Interest, and Involvement

Television and the Internet are the primary sources

Americans use for science and technology (S&T) information.
The Internet is the main source of information for learning about specific scientific issues such as global climate change or biotechnology.

-More Americans select television as their primary source of S&T information than any other medium.
-The Internet ranks second among sources of S&T information, and its margin over other sources is large and has been growing.
-Internet users do not always assume that online S&T information is accurate. About four out of five have checked on the reliability of information at least once.

Continuing a long-standing pattern, Americans consistently express high levels of interest in S&T in surveys. However, other indicators, such as the types of news they follow closely, suggest a lower level of interest.
-High levels of interest in S&T are part of a long-standing trend, with more than 80% of Americans reporting they were “very” or “moderately” interested in new scientific
discoveries. But relative to other news topics, interest in S&T is not particularly high.
-As with many news topics, the percentage of Americans who say they follow “science and technology” news “closely” has declined over the last 10 years.
-Recent surveys in other countries, including South Korea, China, and much of Europe, indicate that the overall level of public interest in “new scientific discoveries” and “use of new inventions and technologies” tends to be higher in the United States.
-Interest in “environmental pollution” or “the environment” is similarly high in the U.S., Europe, South Korea, and Brazil. About 9 in 10 respondents in each country expressed interest in this topic.

In 2008, a majority of Americans said they had visited an informal science institution such as a zoo or a natural history museum within the past year. This proportion is generally consistent with results from surveys conducted since 1979, but slightly lower than the proportion recorded in 2001.
-Americans with more formal education are much more likely to engage in informal science activities.
-Compared with the United States, visits to informal science institutions tend to be less common in Europe, Japan, China, Russia, and Brazil.

Public Knowledge About S&T

Many Americans do not give correct answers to questions about basic factual knowledge of science or the scientific inquiry process.
-Americans’ factual knowledge about science is positively related to their formal education level, income level, the number of science and math courses they have taken, and their verbal ability.
-People who score well on long-standing knowledge measures that test for information typically learned in school also appear to know more about new science related topics
such as nanotechnology.

Levels of factual knowledge of science in the United States are comparable to those in Europe and appear to be higher than in Japan, China, or Russia.
-In the United States, levels of factual knowledge of science have been stable; Europe shows evidence of recent improvement in factual knowledge of science.
-In European countries, China, and Korea demographic variations in factual knowledge are similar to those in the United States.

Compared to the mid-1990s, Americans show a modest improvement in understanding the process of scientific inquiry in recent years.
-Americans’ understanding of scientific inquiry is strongly associated with their factual knowledge of science and level of education.
-Americans’ scores on questions measuring their understanding of the logic of experimentation and controlling variables do not differ by sex. In contrast, men tend to score higher than women on factual knowledge questions in the physical sciences.

Public Attitudes About S&T in General

Americans in all demographic groups consistently endorse the past achievements and future promise of S&T.
-In 2008, 68% of Americans said that the benefits of scientific research have strongly outweighed the harmful results, and only 10% said harmful results slightly or strongly outweighed the benefits.
-Nearly 9 in 10 Americans agree with the statement “because of science and technology, there will be more opportunities for the next generation.”
-Americans also express some reservations about science. Nearly half of Americans agree that “science makes our way of life change too fast.”

7-15

International Comparisons

Using identical questions, recent surveys conducted in other countries indicate that the overall level of self-reported public interest in S&T is lower than in the United States. Between 75% and 80% of survey respondents in South Korea, China, and Europe said they were “very” or “moderately” interested in “new scientific discoveries” and “use of new inventions and technologies” compared to 86% and 88% respectively of Americans in the 2008 GSS, respectively (appendix table 7-4) (KOFAC 2009; CRISP 2008; EC 2005).

Using slightly different questions, about three-quarters of Brazilians said they were “very interested” or “a little interested” in “science and technology” (MCT of Brazil 2006).
In Malaysia, 58% of the respondents said they were “interested” or “very interested” in the “latest inventions in new technology” and 51% in the “latest inventions in science”
(MASTIC 2004).

In the 2005 European survey (called the 2005 “Eurobarometer”), there was considerable variation among different countries in self-reported interest in S&T-related issues, and the overall level of interest was down from the most recent survey in 1992. In both the United States and in Europe, men showed more interest in S&T than women. For more recent European data on interest in scientific research in general, see sidebar “Scientific Research in the Media in Europe.”5 Interest in environmental issues is similarly high in the United States, Europe, South Korea, and Brazil—about 9 in 10 respondents in each country or region expressed interest in this topic, although slight variations in survey terminology should be taken into account.6 In Malaysia, interest in “environmental pollution” was lower (61% said they were “interested” or “very interested” in this issue).

Like Americans, Europeans and Brazilians are more interested in medicine than in S&T in general. In the United States, nearly everyone was interested in new medical discoveries (94%) ; in Brazil, most people (91%) were interested in “medicine and health” issues. In Europe, South Korea, and China, interest in new medical discoveries seemed to be lower—between 77% and 83% said they were “very” or “moderately” interested in this issue. In Malaysia, 59% indicated they were “interested” or “very interested” in the “latest inventions in the field of medicine.”7
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind10/pdf/seind10.pdf [Broken]

Be sure to read within that pdf the following topics:
Chapter 1. Elementary and Secondary Mathematics and Science Chapter 2. Higher Education in Science and Engineering
Chapter 3. Science and Engineering Labor
Chapter 4. Research and Development: National Trends and International Linkages
Chapter 5. Academic Research and Development
Chapter 6. Industry, Technology, and the Global Marketplace

<h2>What is the current gender ratio in physics careers?</h2><p>The current gender ratio in physics careers varies depending on the specific field and level of education. However, on average, women make up about 20-25% of the physics workforce.</p><h2>Why are there fewer women in physics careers?</h2><p>There are a variety of factors that contribute to the underrepresentation of women in physics careers. These include societal stereotypes and biases, lack of representation and support for women in the field, and the gender pay gap.</p><h2>What can be done to increase the number of women in physics careers?</h2><p>To increase the number of women in physics careers, it is important to address and challenge societal stereotypes and biases, provide equal opportunities and support for women in the field, and promote diversity and inclusivity in the workplace.</p><h2>What challenges do women face in physics careers?</h2><p>Women in physics careers often face challenges such as discrimination, lack of representation and support, and the gender pay gap. They may also experience imposter syndrome and have to navigate a male-dominated field.</p><h2>How can we promote gender equality in physics careers?</h2><p>To promote gender equality in physics careers, it is important to address and challenge biases and stereotypes, provide equal opportunities and support for women, and promote diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. Additionally, implementing policies and practices that promote work-life balance and flexible work arrangements can also help promote gender equality.</p>

What is the current gender ratio in physics careers?

The current gender ratio in physics careers varies depending on the specific field and level of education. However, on average, women make up about 20-25% of the physics workforce.

Why are there fewer women in physics careers?

There are a variety of factors that contribute to the underrepresentation of women in physics careers. These include societal stereotypes and biases, lack of representation and support for women in the field, and the gender pay gap.

What can be done to increase the number of women in physics careers?

To increase the number of women in physics careers, it is important to address and challenge societal stereotypes and biases, provide equal opportunities and support for women in the field, and promote diversity and inclusivity in the workplace.

What challenges do women face in physics careers?

Women in physics careers often face challenges such as discrimination, lack of representation and support, and the gender pay gap. They may also experience imposter syndrome and have to navigate a male-dominated field.

How can we promote gender equality in physics careers?

To promote gender equality in physics careers, it is important to address and challenge biases and stereotypes, provide equal opportunities and support for women, and promote diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. Additionally, implementing policies and practices that promote work-life balance and flexible work arrangements can also help promote gender equality.