Find the curvature at a point(vector function)

In summary, the task is to find the curvature of a given parametric equation at a specific point. The formula for curvature is K(t) = |r'(t) x r''(t)|/(|r'(t)|^3). However, before calculating the cross product, it is necessary to substitute the given coordinates into the derivative equations and simplify. Once the correct values are substituted, the correct value of t can be determined, which in this case is t = 1.
alias

Homework Statement

Find the curvature of r(t)= <t^2, lnt, t lnt> at the point P(1,0,0)

Homework Equations

K(t) = |r'(t) x r''(t)|/(|r'(t)|^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

r'(t) = <2t, t^-1, lnt+1>
r''(t) = <2, -t^-2, t^-1>

|r'(t) x r''(t)| = sqrt[t^-4(4 + 4 lnt + ln^2t) + (4 ln^2t)]
|r'(t)| = sqrt[4t^2 + t^-2 + (ln^2t +2 lnt + 1)]

I don't know what value of (t) to sub into K(t) to get my final answer. I also have a feeling that my cross product is not right. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want [itex](t^2, ln(t), tln(t))= (1, 0, 0)[/itex].

What value of t gives you that?

You are right that your cross product is wrong. Put your value of t into r' and r'' before calculating the cross product. That will simplify it a lot.

Thanks a lot HallsofIvy, t = 1 provided I did the rest of the question right.

t= 1 whether you did the rest of the problem right or not!

1)

What is the definition of curvature in a vector function?

Curvature in a vector function is a measure of how much the function's direction changes at a specific point. It is a scalar quantity that represents the rate of change in the function's tangent vector.

2)

How is the curvature calculated for a point in a vector function?

The curvature at a point in a vector function is calculated by finding the magnitude of the second derivative of the function at that point. This involves taking the derivative of the tangent vector, which is a vector-valued function, and then finding the magnitude of that derivative.

3)

What does the sign of the curvature indicate?

The sign of the curvature indicates the direction of the curve at a specific point. A positive curvature indicates that the curve is turning in a counter-clockwise direction, while a negative curvature indicates a clockwise direction.

4)

Can the curvature at a point be negative?

Yes, the curvature at a point can be negative. This means that the curve is turning in a clockwise direction at that point, as opposed to a counter-clockwise direction with a positive curvature.

5)

How does the curvature change along a curve in a vector function?

The curvature along a curve in a vector function can vary depending on the shape of the curve. In general, the curvature tends to increase as the curve becomes tighter or more sharply curved, and decrease as the curve becomes more gentle or straighter.