Creating a LaTeX Project: What You Need to Know

In summary: You are using pdflatex. The pdf format doesn't support encapsulated postscript. Use eps2pdf to convert your encapsulated postscript to pdf.
cdhotfire
i couldn't find a place to post this question but this seems to work, so is there a way to make latex outside this forum, like if want to do a project?
if so how.

Physics news on Phys.org
First you'll need a TeX distribution. If you're using Windows (I assume you are), MiKTeX is what you want:

http://www.miktex.org

There's a simple executable to download, and it'll let you install all the LaTeX add-ons. Be sure to read any documentation on their site.

Next, you'll need a decent interface to write LaTeX documents. I recommend TeXniCenter:

http://www.toolscenter.org/front_content.php

I also highly recommend reading thoroughly through this document. It's not very long and will introduce you to the subtle differences between writing LaTeX math equations here, writing LaTeX documents in general, and a comprehensive syntax listing:

www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf

Last edited:
WOW!, thank you very much, I really appreciate your help, there was another thread on this forum, but I didnt understand it :uhh: . Now I do, thanks. :smile:

Is there any kind of latex plug ins for MS Office programs? The built in equation editor really sucks and I want to use Latex in Word or Excell is possible.

DaVinci said:
Is there any kind of latex plug ins for MS Office programs? The built in equation editor really sucks and I want to use Latex in Word or Excell is possible.

There is actually a commercial application called 'MathType,' and it'll export formulas written in Microsoft Word to TeX (not sure about LaTeX, should still work, however). MathType is essentially a replacement for the builtin Microsoft Word equation editor, with much more functionality. I have a colleague that uses it on a daily basis, and he is satisfied with it.

http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/products/mathsim/mathtype/

How to make Index in LaTeX?

Please, can anyone tell me how can I use makeindex in LaTeX? I've tried the command \makeindex but nothing happens:devil:

You need to do several things:
  • In your preamble, include the makeidx package and invoke the makeindex macro:
    \usepackage{makeidx}
    \makeindex
  • Invoke the index macro in the body of your document to add items to the index.
    \index{word}
  • Invoke the printindex macro at the end of your document (i.e., where you want the index to appear):
    \printindex
  • Process your document using LaTeX. Note well: This first pass will not generate an index. This collects the \indexed items.
  • Process your document again using LaTeX. Note well: This second pass still does not generate an index. It will, however, generate a .idx file based on the items from the first pass.
  • Process your document using the MakeIndex program. This compiles the .idx into a .ind file.
  • Process your document one more time using LaTeX, and possibly,
  • Process your document one last time using LaTeX (the pagination might not be correct).

It helps to use a makefile to do the processing correctly.

Last edited:
\makeidx package giving me errors

Thank you for your reply, but the problem is that I'm getting errors when I use the makeidx package as you instructed. I'm getting an error in a file called makeidx.sty with the error: \newcommand*\see[2]{\emph{} #1} Can you please help me?? Thank you

Something else (are you using one of the AMS document classes?) is defining \see. Try omitting the \usepackage{makeidx}.

Finally managed to do it!`

Thanks for your help. I omitted \usepackage{makeidx} and it worked. Thanks so much. Another thing, I need to input some graphs into my pdf file, what program do you suggest? I need graphs like y=sin x and the lot:uhh:

Moreover, how can I input a glossary of terms?

Hello, who can explain to me how to make a mathematica file saved as an *.eps? thank you

Can anyone explain to me why I'm getting an error which states that: I could not locate the file with any of these extensions: .png,.pdf,.jpg,.mps,.tif.

I am saving my file as eps, but LaTeX cannot find it. Please help me.

You are using pdflatex. The pdf format doesn't support encapsulated postscript. Use eps2pdf to convert your encapsulated postcript to pdf.

How can I do that? I mean use eps2pdft to convert eps to pdf?

Can anyone explain to me why I'm getting an error which states that: I could not locate the file with any of these extensions: .png,.pdf,.jpg,.mps,.tif.

I am saving my file as eps, but LaTeX cannot find it. Please help me

1. What is LaTeX and why should I use it?

LaTeX is a typesetting system that is commonly used for creating technical and scientific documents. It offers advanced formatting options and produces high-quality, professional-looking documents. It is especially useful for creating documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols.

2. Do I need any special software or skills to use LaTeX?

Yes, you will need to download and install a LaTeX distribution, such as TeX Live or MiKTeX, on your computer. You will also need to learn some basic commands and syntax to create your documents. However, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help you get started.

3. Can I include images and tables in my LaTeX project?

Yes, LaTeX allows you to include images and tables in your documents. You can import images in various formats, such as JPEG and PNG, and use the appropriate commands to place them in your document. Tables can also be created using LaTeX's built-in table environment.

4. How do I create a bibliography in LaTeX?

LaTeX has a built-in citation and bibliography system that allows you to easily create and manage references. You can use the BibTeX program to create a .bib file with your references, and then use the \cite{} command in your document to cite them. The bibliography will be automatically generated based on the references you have cited.

5. Can I collaborate with others on a LaTeX project?

Yes, LaTeX projects can be easily shared and collaborated on using online platforms like Overleaf or ShareLaTeX. These platforms allow multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously, making it ideal for group projects or collaborations.