How to Start a New Paragraph under Numbering in MS Word 2003

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is asking for a way to start a new paragraph under a numbered section in a document without the numbering automatically incrementing to the next number. It is suggested to number the section headings instead and to use Shift+Return to start a new paragraph within a numbered item. It is also mentioned that many people use LaTeX for this purpose. The person expresses gratitude and wishes the other a Merry Christmas.
yungman
I have the 2003 Word. I don't know how to start a new paragraph under numbering without getting a new number.

For example I set up using numbering for each paragraph so I start with 1). Every time I hit return, it will start a new paragraph and with 2) on it. I want to start a new paragraph under 1) without automatically increment to 2) every time a want to start a new paragraph. But at the same time, I want to maintain the numbering in the document.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

Alan

Computer science news on Phys.org
In which case you want to number the sections, not the paragraphs.

Number the section headings would work best - and you can have as many paragraphs in a section as you like. If you want to have a particular passage numbered as well - either use a subsection (minor heading) or put a reference in the margin.

Note: you'll find everyone uses LaTeX instead. It's not just for math.

Perhaps Shift+Return?

This starts a new paragraph within a numbered item.

Last edited:
Can't you just hit delete? If I'm imagining what you're saying, doesn't deleting it stop the numbering?

I like Serena said:
Perhaps Shift+Return?

This starts a new paragraph within a numbered item.

You make my day! Thanks

Merry Christmas

Alan

1. How do I start a new paragraph under numbering in MS Word 2003?

To start a new paragraph under numbering in MS Word 2003, simply press the "Enter" key on your keyboard. This will automatically create a new paragraph with the same numbering format as the previous one.

2. Can I change the numbering format for a new paragraph in MS Word 2003?

Yes, you can change the numbering format for a new paragraph in MS Word 2003. Right-click on the numbering and select "Numbering" from the drop-down menu. This will open a dialog box where you can choose from different numbering formats and customize them to your preference.

3. How do I continue numbering in a new paragraph in MS Word 2003?

To continue numbering in a new paragraph in MS Word 2003, place your cursor at the beginning of the new paragraph and press the "Tab" key on your keyboard. This will automatically continue the numbering from the previous paragraph.

4. What if I don't want to include numbering in a new paragraph in MS Word 2003?

If you don't want to include numbering in a new paragraph in MS Word 2003, simply press the "Enter" key twice. This will create a new paragraph without any numbering.

5. Can I add sub-numbering in a new paragraph in MS Word 2003?

Yes, you can add sub-numbering in a new paragraph in MS Word 2003. Place your cursor at the beginning of the new paragraph and press the "Tab" key twice. This will create a sub-numbered paragraph under the previous one.