Simple question about nth-roots of negative numbers

In summary, there are three cube roots of every number, with one being real and the other two being complex conjugates. The cube root of -1 is -1, and the other two are 1/2+ i\sqrt{3}/2 and 1/2- i\sqrt{3}/2. The cube root of -125 is -5.
GCH
I've been doing this online math bridging course from a German uni to which I am planning to go soon, it is going through all high school maths from the beginning(it has been a while since I did it).
The chapter on roots so far ignores complex numbers, which will be introduced in a later chapter... but they claim that [itex]\sqrt[3]{-125}[/itex] = -5 ! Can this be correct? Surely not?
I always thought that any root of a negative number has only complex solutions (I know that positive ones have complex and real solutions)
What is [itex]\sqrt[3]{-1}[/itex] anyway? (I am having a bit of a brain-freeze at the moment.)

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
GCH said:
I've been doing this online math bridging course from a German uni to which I am planning to go soon, it is going through all high school maths from the beginning(it has been a while since I did it).
The chapter on roots so far ignores complex numbers, which will be introduced in a later chapter... but they claim that [itex]\sqrt[3]{-125}[/itex] = -5 ! Can this be correct? Surely not?
I always thought that any root of a negative number has only complex solutions (I know that positive ones have complex and real solutions)
What is [itex]\sqrt[3]{-1}[/itex] anyway? (I am having a bit of a brain-freeze at the moment.)

Thank you!

Every number has THREE cube roots. Of these three, one will be real, and the other two will be complex conjugates of each other. And yes, every real number has one real cube root. [itex]\sqrt[3]{-1} = -1[/itex], but that's only one of the three solutions to x^3 = -1.

GCH said:

What is -1 * -1 * -1?

GCH said:
Surely yes. [itex](-5)^3= (-5)(-5)(-5)= (25)(-5)= -125[/itex]

Any even root of a negative number has only complex solutions. (Strictly speaking, you mean "non-real", not complex. The real numbers are a subset of the complex numbers.)

Thank you!
As SteveL27 said, [itex](-1)^3= (-1)(-1)(-1)[/itex] so one third root of -1 is -1. The other two are [itex]1/2+ i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex] and [itex]1/2- i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for clearing this up for me. Somehow I did not think last night of asking myself the question: what number multiplied an uneven number of times yields -1 as a result.

What are nth-roots of negative numbers?

The nth-root of a negative number is a number that, when multiplied by itself n times, equals the negative number.

Can nth-roots of negative numbers be real numbers?

Yes, nth-roots of negative numbers can be real numbers. For example, the 2nd root of -4 is 2, since 2 multiplied by itself 2 times equals -4.

What is the difference between odd and even nth-roots of negative numbers?

The difference between odd and even nth-roots of negative numbers is that odd roots will always result in a negative number, while even roots can result in either a positive or negative number.

Are there any restrictions on the value of n when finding nth-roots of negative numbers?

Yes, there are restrictions on the value of n when finding nth-roots of negative numbers. Specifically, n must be an odd number for odd roots and an even number for even roots.

Can imaginary numbers be nth-roots of negative numbers?

Yes, imaginary numbers can be nth-roots of negative numbers. For example, the 4th root of -16 is 2i, since 2i multiplied by itself 4 times equals -16.