Anyone work as a Data Scientist/Data Miner/in Machine Learning?

In summary, Mal4Mac is a data analyst who likes the challenge of working with complex data sets. He finds the work interesting and enjoys working with people.
Poopsilon
This seems to be the new 'it' job in the tech sector and I'm considering getting into this line of work, but because it seems relatively new I'm having trouble finding out what it's like to work as a data scientist. The two things I'm somewhat concerned about is if the work is interesting or not and the male/female ratio, since I know programming work is notorious for being all men. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you better get into it before a flood of applicants makes jobs scarce ; )

Personally I think it would be interesting since I enjoy exploratory data analysis and modeling data. I often think about applying for positions in the industry (as I'm in the bay area where data mining is big). Check out this website:
http://www.kaggle.com/competitions
for some of the type of problems encountered in the field. Scoring well on one of these competitions would go far towards getting a job.

I imagine the sex ratio is as awful as any hard STEM field.

Yup, data mining is fun. So are men :) A lot more fun than spamming forums to get people to look at your web site...

mal4mac said:
Yup, data mining is fun. So are men :) A lot more fun than spamming forums to get people to look at your web site...

You know, I thought about this statement and I have to agree. Men are fun...and I say this in a non-homosexual way. Just men, in general, are more fun to be around than girls. Girls just complicate everything.

Other than that, thanks for the link sheets, very cool.

daveyinaz said:
You know, I thought about this statement and I have to agree. Men are fun...and I say this in a non-homosexual way. Just men, in general, are more fun to be around than girls. Girls just complicate everything.

Other than that, thanks for the link sheets, very cool.

I have nothing to contribute in the way of this thread, but I can't help but agree. Maybe I don't know enough/any "bro-girls"...

Well Americans often live their lives through their work, so I'd prefer some women, even if it means more complications.

Mal4Mac, could you tell us more about your job, what it's like, and why you like it.

1. What is the role of a Data Scientist/Data Miner/Machine Learning Engineer?

A data scientist, data miner, and machine learning engineer are all professionals who work with large amounts of data to gain insights and make predictions. Their roles involve using mathematical and statistical techniques to analyze data, develop algorithms, and build models to solve complex problems and make data-driven decisions.

2. What skills are required to become a Data Scientist/Data Miner/Machine Learning Engineer?

A strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and computer science is essential for these roles. Other important skills include programming languages such as Python and R, data visualization, machine learning techniques, and strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

3. What industries typically employ Data Scientists/Data Miners/Machine Learning Engineers?

Data scientists, data miners, and machine learning engineers are in high demand in various industries such as finance, healthcare, retail, technology, and e-commerce. Any industry that deals with large amounts of data can benefit from their skills and expertise.

4. What is the difference between a Data Scientist and a Data Miner?

The roles of a data scientist and a data miner are often used interchangeably, but there are some subtle differences. A data scientist is a broad term that encompasses various roles, including data mining. Data mining specifically refers to the process of analyzing large datasets to discover patterns and insights. In short, data scientists use data mining techniques as part of their overall responsibilities.

5. What are the ethical considerations in working as a Data Scientist/Data Miner/Machine Learning Engineer?

Data scientists, data miners, and machine learning engineers work with sensitive and personal data, which raises ethical concerns. They must ensure that their work is transparent and unbiased, and they must also protect the privacy and security of the data they work with. It is essential for professionals in these roles to adhere to ethical codes and regulations to ensure responsible and ethical use of data.