Best High School books for Physics and Mathematics?

In summary, the person is looking for physics and math books to strengthen their understanding and problem solving skills. They have researched online and found recommendations for books such as Halliday, Krane, I.E Irodov, Krotov, Feynman Lectures for physics and T.H Apostal's Calculus, I.A Maron Calculus one variable, Higher Algebra Hall & Knight, Elementary Mathematics by G Dorofeev, Problems In Mathematics by Govorov V, Differential And Integral Calculus by N Piskunov for math. They also mention Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, Understanding Physics by Asimov, Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley, and Morris Kline's Calculus as
Dr. Physics
I am doing my 12th grade and I need physics books that can strengthen my concepts and ability to problem solving.
I have following topics in Physics:
1.Electrostatics.
2.Current Electricity.
3.Magnetic Effects of current and magnetism.
4.Electromagnetic Induction.
5.Alternating Current.
6.Electromagnetic Waves.
7.Optics.
8.Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation.
9.Atoms and Nuclei.
10.Electronic Devices.
11.Communication System.
By my research online I found Halliday,Krane, I.E Irodov, Krotov, Feynman Lectures.
So which one should I buy and also recommend books other than these.
---------------------------------------------
For Mathematics I have Following Topics:
1.Functions.
2.Inverse Trigometry functions.
3.Matrices.
4.Determinant.
5.Deferential Equation and Derivatives.
6.Application of Derivatives.
7.Integrals and Its Application.
8.Vectors.
9.3D Geometry Vectors.
10.Linear Programming.
11.Probability.
By my research online I found T.H Apostal's Calculus, I.A Maron Calculus one variable,Higher Algebra Hall & Knight, Elementary Mathematics by G Dorofeev, Problems In Mathematics by Govorov V, Differential And Integral Calculus by N Piskunov
So which one should I buy and also recommend books other than these.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Hewitt's Conceptual Physics is great for the concepts, especially if you work with the end-of-chapter exercises.

Asimov wrote a three volume set called Understanding Physics that is also very good for the conceptual side. It is out of print, but easy to come by used.

I've heard good things about Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley (out of print but may be available used or from the library) and Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics.

I really like Morris Kline's Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach. It's a Dover book, so available at a low price. Also, if you email Dover they will send you a pdf solution manual (covering both odd and even numbered problems) at no extra charge.

Sorry that I can't be of much help on the items you've listed. The Feynman Lectures are wonderful, conceptually speaking, but may or may not be the best choice for improving your problem solving abilities (in the immediate term anyway). Apostol would have been a good bit too advanced for me in high school, but I realize we are all different.

thanks guys but Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley is very rare book and it is difficult to get in India.
I want those books which can be self study at own paced and has good concepts explanation and also some problem solving techniques with rigor problems.
I found this books available in India:
MATHEMATICAL METHODS IN THE PHYSICAL SCIENCES
Calculus with Early Transcendentals Functions Stewart James
Essential Calculus with Early Transcendentals- Stewart James
Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics-John W. Jewett, Raymond A. Serway
Introductory Physics: Building Understanding-Jerold Touger
Understanding Physics- Karen Cummings, Priscilla W. Laws, Edward F Redish, Patrick J. Cooney

Last edited:

I understand the importance of having strong foundations in both physics and mathematics. In my opinion, the best high school books for physics would be the Halliday and Krane series, as well as Feynman's lectures. These books are widely recognized as being comprehensive and effective in strengthening concepts and problem-solving skills. I.E Irodov and Krotov are also great options for advanced problem-solving practice.

For mathematics, I would recommend T.H Apostal's Calculus and I.A Maron's Calculus one variable for a thorough understanding of calculus. Higher Algebra by Hall & Knight is a great resource for algebraic concepts and problem-solving. Elementary Mathematics by G Dorofeev and Problems in Mathematics by Govorov V are also excellent choices for additional practice and problem-solving techniques. Additionally, Differential and Integral Calculus by N Piskunov is a highly recommended book for mastering the fundamentals of calculus.

In addition to these books, I would also suggest seeking out online resources and practice problems to supplement your learning. Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare are great sources for video lectures and practice problems in both physics and mathematics. It is important to not limit yourself to just one source, but to explore various materials to find what works best for you. Best of luck in your studies!

What are the best high school books for learning Physics and Mathematics?

Some popular high school books for Physics and Mathematics include:

• "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca
  • "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman
  • "Calculus" by James Stewart
  • "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Michael Sullivan
  • "Basic Mathematics for College Students" by Alan S. Tussy and R. David Gustafson

What is the best way to choose a high school book for Physics and Mathematics?

The best way to choose a high school book for Physics and Mathematics is to consider your learning style, skill level, and the specific topics you want to cover. It's also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from teachers or peers who have used the book.

What makes a high school book for Physics and Mathematics effective?

A good high school book for Physics and Mathematics should have clear explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems with solutions. It should also cover a wide range of topics and provide additional resources for further study.

Are there any online resources that can supplement high school books for Physics and Mathematics?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement high school books for Physics and Mathematics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, YouTube channels like Crash Course and Veritasium, and online textbooks such as OpenStax and CK-12.

Can high school books for Physics and Mathematics be used for self-study?

Yes, high school books for Physics and Mathematics can be used for self-study. However, it's important to have a strong understanding of basic concepts before attempting to learn more advanced topics. It's also helpful to have access to additional resources, such as online tutorials or a tutor, to clarify any difficult concepts or provide extra practice problems.