QM mechanics book for review and reference

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a quantum mechanics book. The options discussed are Landau and Lifgarbagez's "QM non-relativistic theory," Cohen-tannoudji's "Quantum mechanics," Sakurai's "Modern QM," Nouredine Zettili's "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications," and Florian Scheck's "Quantum Physics." The person recommending also suggests adding Ballentine's book to the list.
naftali
Hi,

I'm looking for a QM mechanics book, which I could use for review and reference. I've took 3 QM courses, the first two was based on Cohen-tannoudji and Sakurai, and the third was about atoms and molecules etc. , although I haven't studied scattering theory and relativistic QM/QFT. (I took a course on Group theory for physics too).

I will be happy to get recommendations.

The options I thought about are :

1) Landau and Lifgarbagez / "QM non-relativistic theory" : Probably the most insightful and deep book, also covering a lot, although difficult and concise. The drawbacks I see are old-fashioned and annoying notation, and being somewhat too original (for example, I don't see the deriving of harmonic oscillator energies using ladder operators). In addition, according to reviews in Amazon, the last printing fonts etc. are awful ( Does it really so?)

2) Cohen-tannoudji et al./ "Quantum mechanics" : Encyclopedic, quite nice, but not too advanced (for example, doesn't cover Wigner-Eckart theorem). In addition, barely mentions deeper ideas such as symmetry. Very expensive too.

3) Sakurai / "Modern QM" : Seems deeper than Cohen-tannoudji to me, but more abstract and concise. And expensive too. Good amount of problems.

4) Nouredine Zettili / "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" : Very readable, and has many solved problems. Covers the material of my two first courses. I understand from reviews that it has many mistakes.

5) Florian Scheck "Quantum Physics" (https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Physics-Florian-Scheck/dp/3540256458/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ) I don't know much on this book, but it looks interesting, and covers some QED too, but with with non-usual attitude which I'm not sure about. Does someone know it?

Thanks,
Naftali

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure which ones suit you best, but I think Ballentine should be on that list. It's roughly at the level of Sakurai.

Thanks for your response.

Fredrik said:
Not sure which ones suit you best, but I think Ballentine should be on that list. It's roughly at the level of Sakurai.

Can you describe its advantages over Sakurai?

Thanks,
Naftali

What is the purpose of a QM mechanics book?

A QM mechanics book is designed to provide a comprehensive review and reference for the principles and applications of quantum mechanics. It covers topics such as wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum states, operators, and measurement. It serves as a valuable resource for students and researchers in the field of quantum mechanics.

What topics are typically covered in a QM mechanics book?

A QM mechanics book typically covers fundamental concepts such as wave-particle duality, Schrödinger equation, Heisenberg uncertainty principle, quantum states and operators, and measurement. It also delves into more advanced topics such as quantum entanglement, quantum computing, and quantum field theory.

What level of understanding is required to read a QM mechanics book?

A QM mechanics book is typically written for advanced undergraduate or graduate students in physics, mathematics, or engineering. It assumes a strong foundation in classical mechanics, linear algebra, and calculus. Some books may also require knowledge of basic quantum mechanics principles.

What are the benefits of using a QM mechanics book for review and reference?

A QM mechanics book provides a comprehensive overview of the principles and applications of quantum mechanics. It can serve as a guide for students to deepen their understanding of the subject and for researchers to quickly refer to specific topics and equations. It also includes practice problems and exercises to help reinforce learning.

How can a QM mechanics book be used in conjunction with other learning materials?

A QM mechanics book can be used as a supplement to lectures and other learning materials such as online courses or lecture notes. It can also be used as a reference alongside textbooks or research papers. Additionally, some books may include interactive simulations or online resources for further practice and exploration.