What is kinetic capacitance in superconductors or in solid state in general?

In summary, "kinetic capacitance" refers to the capacitance in the context of superconductors or solids, and is related to the concept of "quantum phase slip". It is defined as a combination of coefficients with the dimension of capacitance in the "effective action" introduced by Golubev and Zaikin. However, understanding it may require advanced mathematical knowledge and there may also be a need for physical intuition or knowledge of the literature where it was first introduced.
physengineer
What is "kinetic capacitance" in superconductors or in solid state in general?

Hi,

I would appreciate it if anyone could explain to me what "kinetic capacitance" is, particularly in the context of superconductors or solids.

I understand "kinetic inductance" which comes from the kinetic energy of the conducting electrons but can not make the analogy for capacitance.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

try looking up 'quantum phase slip' but the math is not for the faint hearted

sambristol said:
try looking up 'quantum phase slip' but the math is not for the faint hearted

Thanks, Sambristol! In fact my question on "kinetic capacitance" comes from studying "quantum phase slip". I understand it as a combination of coefficients with the dimension of capacitance in the "effective action" introduced by Golubev and Zaikin; however, I was hoping to get some physical intuition too or at least know the literature it was introduced first.

What is kinetic capacitance?

Kinetic capacitance is a measure of the ability of a material to store energy in the form of electric charge. It is typically expressed in units of farads (F).

How is kinetic capacitance related to superconductors?

In superconductors, kinetic capacitance is a measure of the ability of electrons to flow without resistance. In these materials, there is no loss of energy due to resistance, and therefore the kinetic capacitance can be quite large.

What factors affect the kinetic capacitance of superconductors?

The kinetic capacitance of a superconductor is affected by several factors, including the material's composition, temperature, and magnetic field strength. In general, the kinetic capacitance increases as the temperature decreases and the magnetic field strength increases.

How is kinetic capacitance different from traditional capacitance?

Kinetic capacitance is different from traditional capacitance in that it is based on the movement of electrons, while traditional capacitance is based on the separation of electric charge. Additionally, kinetic capacitance is typically only relevant in materials with very low resistance, such as superconductors.

Can kinetic capacitance be measured in solid state materials other than superconductors?

Yes, kinetic capacitance can also be measured in solid state materials that exhibit low resistance, such as semiconductors. However, the value of kinetic capacitance in these materials is typically much lower than in superconductors.