Masters in Math from non-math Background but w/ good GRE subjec

In summary, the individual has a AB in Econ with a 3.8 GPA from an Ivy League school and is interested in pursuing a math Masters program with a focus on applied or computing. Their math background is at a sophomore level with courses in Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics, and an introduction to proofs, which have earned them a 4.0 GPA. They have also scored in the 85th-90th percentile on GRE practice tests for the math subject test, but are considering spending 1,000+ hours to aim for the 95th percentile. They are wondering if this score is enough to get into a top 25 MA program and if it would be worth investing more time to potentially reach the 95
Here&now
Hey guys, first post.

I graduated with a AB in Econ with a 3.8 from an Ivy League and would really like to get into a math Masters program - preferably applied/computing oriented

But my math background is sophmore level - all the Calcs, Linear Algebra, 5 stats courses, and the typical "introduction to proofs" course. These sum up to a 4.0 gpa, and this is where my letters of rec would come from

Before you tell me to do a search on the boards, there is one thing that spices this up that I haven't seen on the forum: My GRE math subject test score (on PRACTICE TESTS) is in the 85th-90th percentile.

I self-study a ton which is how I've gotten so far in the GRE subject test with only sophomore math, but I feel that I would have to spend 1,000++ hours to get into the 95th percentile.

My question is twofold: Do I have a shot at a top 25 MA program w/85th percentile GRE subject test? And would it be smart to practice for another year to get into the 95th percentile? Of course, deep down inside I actually want to go to a top 5 or top 10 school -- is this possible if I got a 95th percentile or would I just be wasting my time?

Oh and there's always a chance that I *don't* score in the 95th after studying 1,000+ additional hours...definitely a chance.

Thanks,
Here&Now

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just so you know, I copy-pasted this from another thread I just commented on ... but it still applies to your case as well:

I'd say you've got a good chance to get into a decent program for applied math ... top 5-10, probably not due to your preparation and lack of upper level pure math courses, but Econ is pretty hardcore so who knows. You seem a LOT more accomplished than I am and I got into a few top 10 applied math departments (as well as biophysics MD/PhDs). All I have to show for my math and science abilities are excellent letters from three profs (PhD'd from U Michigan, Princeton, and MIT), and very good general GREs, math GREs, physics GREs, and MCATs ... but no formal coursework in math/physics/biochemistry (only auditing, self study, and youtube).

I may have a little bit of an edge since I have a uniqueness that most programs haven't seen in their applicants before (masters in trumpet performance and bachelors in musicology). I sensed that there was a bit of novelty to my application. I was asked to bring my trumpet to an interview, haha. I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not, but I did anyway and ended up playing a bit for them in the one classroom, lol.

Math GRE scores are kinda hit and miss, so I'm not sure how much weight different programs actually put on the test scores vs your undergrad GPA. I know loads of very gifted young mathematicians who already have an extensive knowledge of algebra, analysis, and topology (enough to pass quals at top institutions) but might not have the "fast twitch" math muscle to beast out 66 multiple choice calc/algebra problems in 3ish hours.

As far as the return on investment for the math GREs goes: if you're already getting 85-90th % as your estimated score, then I'd imagine you're much better off acquainting yourself with algebra, analysis, and topology instead of additional prep for a single test that has a lot of performance variability. Most applied programs require you to take at least a couple of the "pure" core and usually to take PhD qualifying exams in one or two of them in addition to your thesis and applied classes.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

1. Can I pursue a Masters in Math if I come from a non-math background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in Math even if you come from a non-math background. Many graduate programs in math welcome students from diverse academic backgrounds and offer prerequisite courses to help them catch up on necessary mathematical knowledge.

2. Will my GRE subject score compensate for my non-math background?

While a good GRE subject score can demonstrate your aptitude for math, it may not fully compensate for a lack of background in the subject. It is important to take prerequisite courses and demonstrate strong mathematical abilities through your coursework and research experience.

3. Do I need to have a certain level of math background to be accepted into a Masters in Math program?

Each program has its own specific requirements for admission, but in general, a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and mathematical proofs is expected. It is also helpful to have taken courses in statistics and computer science.

4. Will my non-math undergraduate degree be a disadvantage when applying for a Masters in Math program?

Having a non-math undergraduate degree may not be a disadvantage, as many graduate programs value diversity and interdisciplinary perspectives. However, it is important to demonstrate a strong interest and aptitude for math through your coursework, research, and GRE subject score.

5. What can I do to prepare for a Masters in Math program if I come from a non-math background?

To prepare for a Masters in Math program, it is recommended to take prerequisite courses in calculus, linear algebra, and mathematical proofs. You can also engage in independent study and research projects to demonstrate your interest and readiness for advanced mathematical studies.