Example of conservative and non conservative force

In summary, conservative forces are those that produce the same work regardless of the path taken, while non-conservative forces are path dependent. An example of a conservative force is gravity, which follows an elliptical orbit and has the same energy at each point in its orbit. On the other hand, friction is a non-conservative force as it takes away energy from the system, resulting in a non-unique energy minimum. This can be seen in the example of a spring-mass system with and without friction.
Ravi Mandavi
Hello frnds, i understand what conservative and non conservative force are but i didn't get it properly with practical example. so any article is there which explain it properly with practical example and in easy way, i searched but didn't get any article that satisfy me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity is conservative, friction is non-conservative. Drop a ball from a height of 1.00 meter. Gravity actsdownward and the energy change is simply mgh, where h is height, 1.00 meter. Upon impact the ball heads upward. Gravity is conservative, the energy stored in potential gets converted to kinetic, back to potential, etc.

But air friction is non-conservative. During the ball's downward motion, friction (air) is taking away a fraction of its KE. The ball bounces, and the restitution is less than 100%, another non-conservative action. On the way up, friction again takes a fraction of the energy away.

This is just 1 example, there are many others. Did this help?

Claude

I got somthing but not fully, if we talkd about gravitation force acting on moon due to Earth then how can we justify that it is consevative force?

What does "conservative" mean to you? I've always been taught that a conservative force integrated along a path between 2 points produces the same work independent of the path. Non-conservative forces are path dependent.

The earth-moon system is indeed conservative. The net work from point a to b then back to a is zero. That is conservative. The moon follows an elliptical orbit. The energy at some specific point in said orbit remains the same. As the distance changes so does the energy. But when the moon returns to the same point it was at previously, it has exactly the same energy as previously, no change having taken place.

With non-conservative forces, that is not the case. Take a spring-mass system. An object rests on the floor while attached to a horizontal spring. The spring is stretched and harmonic motion occurs. If the floor was frictionless, the Hooke's law spring force would move the object towards the spring eventually compressing said spring, then the object reverses direction. At any point on the floor the object has a specific potential plus kinetic energy. After several oscillations the energy at each point remains the same.

Now add friction. As the object oscillates, it loses energy due to friction. Spring force is conservative. Friction is not. Did I help?

Claude

Yes, now i got it
thanx

The following example illustrates the difference between a conservative and a non conservative force field. The two molecules illustrate the same binding site with slightly different orientations. The energy of the bound complex is shown as a function of the bond distance. The energy curve has more than one minimum and therefore the energy minimum is not unique. The maximum energy is measured at the distance of 1.9 Å. The energy curve of a non conservative force field has more than one energy minimum and therefore the lowest energy is not unique. The curve is not straight and the energy minimum is located at the distance of 1.5 Å. The difference in the energy of the bound complexes is small, but it is not meaningful.

What is the definition of a conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that does not depend on the path taken by an object, but only on the initial and final positions of the object. This means that the work done by a conservative force is independent of the path taken by the object.

Can you give an example of a conservative force?

An example of a conservative force is gravity. The force of gravity acts on an object towards the center of the Earth, and the work done by gravity is independent of the path taken by the object.

What is an example of a non-conservative force?

A non-conservative force is a type of force that depends on the path taken by an object. An example of a non-conservative force is friction. The amount of work done by friction on an object depends on the distance traveled by the object.

How do you determine if a force is conservative or non-conservative?

To determine if a force is conservative or non-conservative, you can use the work-energy theorem. If the work done by the force is independent of the path taken by the object, then the force is conservative. If the work done by the force is dependent on the path taken by the object, then the force is non-conservative.

What are the implications of a force being conservative or non-conservative?

The implications of a force being conservative or non-conservative are significant in terms of the energy of a system. In a system with only conservative forces, energy is conserved and can be easily calculated. In a system with non-conservative forces, energy is not conserved and the calculations become more complex.