History of OrCad pcb layout software

In summary, the conversation discusses the changes in the OrCad pcb layout software, including the transition to a new version and the limitations of the Lite version in terms of converting old files and designing complex boards.
yungman
I worked with OrCad pcb layout 9.2 and older for many years. Lately I try to download the evaluation software and it looks totally different. They don't even use .MAX anymore.

When did they change over? Any way to translate the old .MAX to the new software?

I so wish they kept the same format instead of changing it totally as I worked with the old software for years and know it inside out.

Anyone know what is the limitation of the OrCad 16.5 Lite? Can you generate a gerber file? How complex a board can you do on the Lite version?

Thanks

Alan

Computer science news on Phys.org
According to Cadence, the developers of OrCAD, the transition to the new version occurred in 2018. Unfortunately, there is no direct way to convert .MAX files from the old version to the new version. The OrCAD 16.5 Lite version does have limited functionality compared to the full version, but it does include the ability to generate gerber files. The complexity of the board you can design with the Lite version depends on your specific needs and the version of software you are using.

1. What is OrCad pcb layout software?

OrCad pcb layout software is a computer-aided design (CAD) software used for designing and creating printed circuit boards (PCBs). It allows users to create schematics, place components, and route traces on a virtual board to produce a physical PCB.

2. When was OrCad pcb layout software first introduced?

OrCad pcb layout software was first introduced in 1985 by OrCad Inc. It was one of the first PCB design software to be available on personal computers.

3. What are the main features of OrCad pcb layout software?

The main features of OrCad pcb layout software include schematic capture, component placement, auto-routing, design rule checking, and manufacturing file generation. It also offers simulation and analysis tools for signal integrity, power integrity, and electromagnetic interference.

4. Is OrCad pcb layout software still in use today?

Yes, OrCad pcb layout software is still used extensively in the electronics industry. It is constantly updated and improved to keep up with the changing technology and design requirements.

5. Can OrCad pcb layout software be used by non-professionals?

While OrCad pcb layout software was initially designed for professionals, it can also be used by non-professionals with some training and practice. It has a user-friendly interface and offers various resources and tutorials to help beginners learn how to use it effectively.