Finding A in Non-Square Matrices: Pseudo Inverse vs Gradient Search

In summary, For the given matrices A, B, and C, where C is equal to A multiplied by B, there are a few ways to find A. If the dimensions of the matrices allow it, one can use the pseudo inverse matrix to find a unique solution for A. However, if the dimensions do not allow for a unique solution, one must use methods like gradient search and statistical methods to find potential solutions for A.
umut_caglar
Hi everybody

I have a question that I have a guess for the answer but I want to be sure

I have an identity

C=A*B

where A,B,C are matrices and in general they are not square

is there a way to find A in terms of B and C by using pseudo inverse matrix or using pseudo inverse might help me in any ways for finding A.

my guess is: 'No, pseudo matrix inverse will not help in anyway'

If pseudo inverse will not work I am planning to do a gradient search for finding the entries of A (do you have any better option?)

If possible say some words about the uniqueness problem. for given A and B, C is unique, but for given B and C, is A unique

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

I found solution to my problem, let me share it in case someone else might need it;

lets assume C=A*B
and A, B, C are matrices with dimensions $$ A_{(m,n)}, B_{(n,k)}, C_{(m,k)} $$

Assume we are trying to find A for given B and C

Then the number of equations we have is m*k, one equation for each entry of C matrix
The number of unknowns are m*n, each entry in the A matrix is an unknown

So if number of equations is greater then or equal to the number of unknowns then there is a unique solution. In other words if [itex]m*k \geq m*n[/itex] or simply [itex]k \geq n[/itex] then there is a unique solution.

If there is a unique solution then

C=A*B can be re written as A=C*pinv(B)

where pinv stands for 'pseudo inverse'

if there is no unique solution; i.e [itex]k<n[/itex], then one need to go to gradient search and statistical methods to find possible candidates for A matrix

What is a pseudo inverse matrix?

A pseudo inverse matrix is a special type of inverse matrix that is used to solve systems of linear equations that do not have a unique solution. It is also known as the Moore-Penrose inverse.

What is the purpose of a pseudo inverse matrix?

The purpose of a pseudo inverse matrix is to compute a generalized inverse for a matrix that does not have a unique inverse. This can be useful in situations where a unique solution cannot be found, such as in over-determined systems of equations.

How is a pseudo inverse matrix calculated?

The pseudo inverse matrix is calculated using a mathematical process known as the singular value decomposition (SVD). This involves breaking down the original matrix into three separate matrices, and then performing calculations to obtain the pseudo inverse.

What are the applications of a pseudo inverse matrix?

Pseudo inverse matrices have a wide range of applications in various fields such as signal processing, image reconstruction, control systems, and data analysis. They are also used in solving least squares problems and in finding solutions to overdetermined systems of equations.

What are some drawbacks of using a pseudo inverse matrix?

One major drawback of using a pseudo inverse matrix is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for large matrices. Additionally, the pseudo inverse may not always be a good approximation of the true inverse, which can lead to errors in calculations.