Is it possible I saw a luminous cosmic ray track?

• Thread starter jselin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ray Track
In summary, the speaker and their sister were driving on a Maine highway when they both saw a straight, narrow, luminous line in front of the tree line. It lasted only a moment and was white and featureless with no thunderclap. The speaker considers the possibility of a micrometeorite or a cosmic ray causing the luminous track, but the other person's confirmation rules out the cosmic ray theory. The speaker ultimately believes it was a micrometeorite moving at several km/s.
jselin
Last month my sister and I were driving down a Maine highway to visit relatives up North. As we were chatting, I saw a perfectly straight, narrow, luminous line appear momentarily in front of the tree line (on the order of 100 meters away). It lasted just long enough to see and then it was gone... 100ms at most. It seemed instantaneous instead of striking like lightning and it was much less bright. I recall it being white and featureless with no branching or taper. There was also no discernible thunderclap.

We both saw and reacted to this immediately. She reported the same although she couldn't confirm it was in front of the tree line.

I suppose it could have been a micrometeorite coming in extremely fast but I just can't imagine it being that clean and quick after penetrating the entire atmosphere.

Is it possible a highly energetic cosmic ray could have caused a luminous track? Alternate explanations are welcome.

I should mention that storm clouds were tumbling above with light intermittent rain and sparse lightning strikes. Maybe a cosmic ray provided a ground path for a small discharge from the clouds?

Jim

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's possible that it was a small discharge, I'd be much more surprised if you saw cosmic rays, I don't think that's possible.

My bet is that it was a micrometeorite and it happened too fast for you to accurately discern the distance.

jselin said:
Is it possible a highly energetic cosmic ray could have caused a luminous track?

Not really, cosmic rays are atomic sized particles.

If you were the only one that saw it, then it could have been a cosmic ray hitting your retina...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ray_visual_phenomena

But since someone else saw it, that doesn't work.

I'm for a meteorite. It's going to be moving at several km/s, so that's going to produce a straight line.

1. Can a cosmic ray track be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, it is possible to see a cosmic ray track with the naked eye. Cosmic rays are particles that travel at high speeds through space and can enter Earth's atmosphere. When they interact with air molecules, they create a visible light trail that can be seen by the human eye.

2. How can I tell if I saw a cosmic ray track or something else?

If you saw a bright, short-lived streak of light in the sky, it is likely that you saw a cosmic ray track. Other possible explanations for such a sighting could be a shooting star or a satellite passing overhead.

3. Are cosmic ray tracks dangerous to humans?

No, cosmic ray tracks are not dangerous to humans. They are constantly bombarding Earth's atmosphere and have been doing so for billions of years. However, if astronauts were to travel outside of Earth's protective magnetic field, they could be exposed to dangerous levels of cosmic rays.

4. Can I photograph a cosmic ray track?

Yes, it is possible to photograph a cosmic ray track. However, it may require specialized equipment and techniques. It is important to note that cosmic ray tracks are very brief, lasting only a fraction of a second, so capturing them on camera can be challenging.

5. Are there any ongoing studies or experiments related to cosmic ray tracks?

Yes, there are many ongoing studies and experiments related to cosmic ray tracks. Scientists are constantly trying to understand the origin and behavior of cosmic rays. There are also experiments being conducted to see how cosmic rays can be used for medical imaging and other applications.