(Electric) Scalar and vector potential

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the Poynting vector, using given equations for the electric scalar and vector potentials. The attempt at a solution involves finding expressions for E, B, and S, as well as a new potential, \phi', that satisfies a given equation and produces the same E and B as the original potential \phi. The last part of the problem asks if it is possible to find another vector potential, A', that also satisfies the equation and produces the same E and B as the original potential A.
lailola

Homework Statement

In the problem, the electric scalar and vector potentials are,
[itex]\phi=0, \vec{A}=A_0 e^{i(k_1 x-2k_2y-wt)}\vec{u_y}[/itex]

I have to find E, B and S.

Then, I have to calculate [itex]\phi '[/itex] that satisfies [itex]div\vec{A}+\frac{\partial \phi '}{\partial t}=0[/itex] Then calculate E and B.

Is it possible to find [itex]\vec{A}'[/itex] and [itex]\phi'[/itex] that satisfy the previous equation and produce the same E and B as [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]?

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{E}=-grad\phi-\frac{\partial \vec{A}}{c\partial t}=0[/itex]
[itex]\vec{B}=rot(\vec{A})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations I find:

[itex]\vec{E}=A_0wi/c e^{i(k_1x-2k_2y-wt)}\vec{u_y}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{B}=A_0ik_1 e^{i(k_1x-2k_2y-wt)}\vec{u_k}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{S}=\frac{c}{4\pi} \vec{E}x\vec{B}=1/(4\pi) A_0^2wk_1sin^2(k_1x-2k_2y-wt)\vec{u_x}[/itex]

For the next part I find,

[itex]\phi ' = - 2K_2 c A_0/(w) e^{i(k_1x-2k_2y-wt)}+ constant(x,y)[/itex]

Then, I calculate E and B as before.

I don't know how to answer the last part. Any idea?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lailola said:

Homework Statement

In the problem, the electric scalar and vector potentials are,
[itex]\phi=0, \vec{A}=A_0 e^{i(k_1 x-2k_2y-wt)}[/itex]
Your expression for the vector potential isn't a vector.

I have to find E, B and S.

Then, I have to calculate [itex]\phi '[/itex] that satisfies [itex]div\vec{A}+\frac{\partial \phi '}{\partial t}=0[/itex] Then calculate E and B.

Is it possible to find [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and [itex]\phi'[/itex] that satisfy the previous equation and produce the same E and B as [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]?

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{E}=-grad\phi-\frac{\partial \vec{A}}{c\partial t}=0[/itex]
[itex]\vec{B}=rot(\vec{A})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations I find:

[itex]\vec{E}=A_0w/c e^{i(k_1x-2k_2y-wt)}\vec{u_y}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{B}=A_0ik_1 e^{i(k_1x-2k_2y-wt)}\vec{u_k}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{S}=\frac{c}{4\pi} \vec{E}x\vec{B}=1/(4\pi) A_0^2wk_1sin^2(k_1x-2k_2y-wt)\vec{u_x}[/itex]

For the next part I find,

[itex]\phi ' = - 2K_2 c A_0/(w) e^{i(k_1x-2k_2y-wt)}+ constant(x,y)[/itex]

Then, I calculate E and B as before.

Thank you.

vela said:
Your expression for the vector potential isn't a vector.
Presumably [itex]A_0[/itex] is itself a vector, which makes that definition perfectly valid.

lailola said:

Thank you.

Imagine taking your current definitions for [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] (I'm renaming your [itex]\phi'[/itex] to [itex]\phi[/itex] for simplicity, and so that I can reuse the symbol [itex]\phi'[/itex] below), and adding new quantities to them. So something like:
[tex]A \rightarrow A + A'\\
\phi \rightarrow \phi + \phi'[/tex]

Now plug those definitions into your previous equations, and see if you can use them to come up with some constraints on the forms that [itex]A'[/itex] and [itex]\phi'[/itex] would have to take, in order to cause [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] to still come out the same.

Last edited:
Chopin said:
Presumably [itex]A_0[/itex] is itself a vector, which makes that definition perfectly valid.
I don't think so. A0 appears in the expressions for the electric and magnetic fields along with unit vectors. It's pretty clear that the OP meant for A0 to denote a scalar.

Last edited:
Hmm, you're right. Guess I didn't look close enough at those E/B solutions.

lailola, can you clarify what the original problem is, and how you came up with your definitions for E and B?

vela said:
I don't think so. A0 appears in the expressions for the electric and magnetic fields along with unit vectors. It's pretty clear that the OP meant for A0 to denote a scalar.

I forgot to write the vector in the expression of the vector potential. I've written it.

Chopin said:

Imagine taking your current definitions for [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] (I'm renaming your [itex]\phi'[/itex] to [itex]\phi[/itex] for simplicity, and so that I can reuse the symbol [itex]\phi'[/itex] below), and adding new quantities to them. So something like:
[tex]A \rightarrow A + A'\\
\phi \rightarrow \phi + \phi'[/tex]

Now plug those definitions into your previous equations, and see if you can use them to come up with some constraints on the forms that [itex]A'[/itex] and [itex]\phi'[/itex] would have to take, in order to cause [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] to still come out the same.

Ok, thank you!

What is the difference between electric scalar potential and electric vector potential?

The electric scalar potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. It is a measure of the work required to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to a specific point in an electric field. On the other hand, the electric vector potential is a vector quantity that represents the direction and magnitude of the electric field at a specific point in space. It is related to the electric scalar potential through the gradient operator.

What is the physical significance of electric scalar potential and electric vector potential?

The electric scalar potential and electric vector potential are both important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charged particles. The electric scalar potential is useful in calculating the electric potential energy of charged particles, while the electric vector potential is useful in understanding the direction and magnitude of the electric field at a specific point in space.

How are electric scalar potential and electric vector potential related to each other?

The electric scalar potential and electric vector potential are related through the gradient operator. Specifically, the electric vector potential is the negative gradient of the electric scalar potential, meaning that the electric vector potential is the direction in which the electric scalar potential changes the most rapidly.

Can the electric scalar potential and electric vector potential be measured?

Yes, both the electric scalar potential and electric vector potential can be measured using various experimental techniques. For example, the electric scalar potential can be measured using a voltmeter, while the electric vector potential can be measured using a magnetic field probe or a Faraday cup.

How are electric scalar potential and electric vector potential used in practical applications?

The electric scalar potential and electric vector potential are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in electrical engineering, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields and in designing electrical systems and devices.