What is a Zener Diode? Understand Voltage Absorption

• Thread starter ImStuck1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, a 4v Zener diode allows only 4 volts of potential difference to remain by drawing down the power source. This is due to the internal resistance of the power source. The excess voltage is absorbed by this internal resistance, and further research on Thevenin equivalent and cold cranking amps can provide more information on this concept.
ImStuck1
I think I sort of understand, does it take all of the voltage in apart from a certain amount?
so say you havea 4v zener, does it absorb all the volts but the 4?
I've googled it but I really need to ask questions to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
ImStuck1 said:
I think I sort of understand, does it take all of the voltage in apart from a certain amount?
so say you havea 4v zener, does it absorb all the volts but the 4?
I've googled it but I really need to ask questions to understand.

A 4v Zener diode passes enough current to "draw down" the power source so that only 4 volts of potential difference remains.

You should understand that no power source is ideal. It will have some internal resistance. The more current you draw through it, the less voltage it will be able to supply at that current level.

If you put a 4v Zener in series with a 5v battery then you might say that the excess volt is "absorbed" by internal resistance in the battery.

Google "Thevenin equivalent" and "cold cranking amps" for some references that might possibly be of interest.

What is a Zener Diode?

A Zener Diode is a type of semiconductor device that is primarily used for voltage regulation. It is designed to allow current to flow in both directions, and to maintain a constant voltage across its terminals when the voltage applied exceeds its breakdown voltage.

How does a Zener Diode work?

A Zener Diode works by utilizing the Zener effect, which is the phenomenon of a reverse-biased diode experiencing a sudden increase in current when the voltage applied to it reaches a certain value. This allows the diode to regulate the voltage by allowing excess current to flow through it, thus preventing a spike in voltage.

What is the breakdown voltage of a Zener Diode?

The breakdown voltage of a Zener Diode is the voltage at which the diode begins to conduct in the reverse direction. This voltage is predetermined by the manufacturer and can range from a few volts to several hundred volts.

What is the difference between a Zener Diode and a regular diode?

The main difference between a Zener Diode and a regular diode is that a Zener Diode is designed to operate in the reverse breakdown region, while a regular diode is not. This allows the Zener Diode to regulate the voltage, while a regular diode simply allows current to flow in one direction.

What are the common applications of Zener Diodes?

Zener Diodes are commonly used in voltage regulation, voltage reference circuits, and as protection devices against overvoltage spikes. They are also used in switching applications, oscillator circuits, and in voltage clamping circuits.