Can the EM Spectrum Be Converted to Electricity Using Transformer Coils?

In summary: The EM field of a magnet or electromagnet can be converted to electricity with the use of a transformer (coil). My question is... Does that hold up for the whole EM spectrum... IR through Gamma?That is similar to a transformator - you use alternating current to generate an alternating field, and this can be used to light lamps.What rimmini seems to have been asking about is an antenna, or at least an antenna that takes the form of a coil. It takes some somewhat involved math to theoretically describe.
rimmini
The EM field of a magnet or electromagnet can be converted to electricity with the use of a transformer (coil). My question is... Does that hold up for the whole EM spectrum... IR through Gamma?

Science news on Phys.org
You cannot convert "the field of a magnet/electromagnet to electricity" - in the way that afterwards the field would be gone.
You can harvest energy from moving magnets, slowing them down in the process. Simple setups will give you alternating current, where the frequency is proportional to the (rotational) velocity of your moving objects, with a prefactor given by the setup itself.
Rotations in useful setups are limited to ~10000 rotations per second, so you will not get any MHz-frequency from generators. And even that is far away from the frequency of infrared or even gamma radiation.

Ok, I thought that I once saw a prof use a tesla coil, and a flourecent bulb to show that em fields were all around. Maybe I was mistaken.

rimmini said:
Ok, I thought that I once saw a prof use a tesla coil, and a flourecent bulb to show that em fields were all around. Maybe I was mistaken.
That is similar to a transformator - you use alternating current to generate an alternating field, and this can be used to light lamps.

What rimmini seems to have been asking about is an antenna, or at least an antenna that takes the form of a coil. It takes some somewhat involved math to theoretically describe.

Small antennas have been made that are efficient at absorbing visible light, although they don't look exactly like coils.

Last edited:
For direct interaction, as with a radio antenna, the antenna would need to be a couple of hundred nanometers long - molecule sized. But the photon energy would make the situation different from what goes on in a wire antenna at RF.

1. What are X-rays and how are they produced?

X-rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation with high energy and short wavelengths. They are produced when high-speed electrons collide with a metal target, causing the electrons to emit energy in the form of X-rays.

2. How do transformer coils work?

Transformer coils are made up of two coils of wire, a primary and a secondary, wound around a core made of iron or other magnetic material. When an alternating current (AC) is passed through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field, which induces a current in the secondary coil.

3. What is the role of transformer coils in producing X-rays?

Transformer coils are used in X-ray machines to provide the high voltage needed to accelerate the electrons and produce X-rays. They step up the voltage from a standard electrical outlet to the high voltage needed for X-ray production.

4. Are there different types of transformer coils used in X-ray machines?

Yes, there are two types of transformer coils used in X-ray machines: step-up coils, which increase the voltage to produce X-rays, and step-down coils, which decrease the voltage to power the X-ray tube.

5. How is the amount of X-rays produced controlled in an X-ray machine?

The amount of X-rays produced in an X-ray machine is controlled by adjusting the voltage and current in the transformer coils. Changing the voltage and current can also affect the quality and intensity of the X-rays produced.