Can the Difference in Pressure Create a Zero Torque in a Curved System?

In summary, the torque in this system with small circular balls and external pressure can be zero when the direction of the torque at the bottom and top points cancel each other out due to the opposing forces from the up and down curves.
Gh778
Hi,

I'm interesting about the torque in the system like I drawn. I drawn only additional forces from curve, not the true forces from absolute pressure. The shape is full with a lot of very small circular balls (blue color). A pressure is apply from external system. The goal is to have FR perpendiculary to the movement, for that the pressure in the bottom system must be higher to the upper part. This difference of pressure is in function of sin(x). If FR is perpendiculary to the movement, it cannot give a torque and the force FR can be cancel by mechanical system. In the center of rotation (red point), -F1 and -F2 can be cancel without need a torque because the radius is zero. The sum of torque come from forces from up and down curves, like the radius is in function of x and sin(x) I don't understand how the sum of torque can be zero ?

Tell me if it's not clear

Edit: for example with length = 100 and radius = 1, the torque from a local force at bottom is like 1/sin(1/100) = 100.0016 but at top it is like 1*(100-1)=99, if the calculation is done for each point, the torque at bottom is greater than at top.

Attachments

• fd.png
    fd.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. I understand that you are interested in the torque in a system with small circular balls and external pressure. It seems like you are trying to achieve a force (FR) perpendicular to the movement, and you have calculated that the pressure in the bottom system must be higher than the upper part in order to achieve this. However, you are confused about how the sum of torque can be zero in this situation.

First of all, let's define torque. Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. In this system, the axis of rotation is at the center (red point) and the forces that cause rotation are the forces from the up and down curves. From your explanation, it seems like you have correctly calculated the torque at the bottom and top points based on the length and radius.

However, it's important to remember that torque is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In this case, the direction of the torque at the bottom and top points is opposite, as the forces from the up and down curves are acting in different directions. This means that the torque at the bottom and top points will cancel each other out, resulting in a net torque of zero.

I hope this clarifies your confusion. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is torque in a curve shape?

Torque in a curve shape refers to the rotational force or moment that is applied to an object in a curved path. It is a vector quantity that describes the tendency of a force to cause rotation around an axis.

2. How is torque calculated in a curve shape?

Torque in a curve shape can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This distance is known as the lever arm or moment arm. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is the lever arm.

3. What factors affect torque in a curve shape?

The factors that affect torque in a curve shape include the magnitude of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and the angle at which the force is applied. The shape, size, and mass distribution of the object can also affect the torque.

4. How does torque in a curve shape impact the motion of an object?

Torque in a curve shape causes an object to rotate around an axis. The direction of rotation is determined by the direction of the applied force and the direction of the torque vector. The larger the torque, the greater the rotational acceleration of the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque in a curve shape?

Torque in a curve shape is important in many applications, such as steering a car around a curve, swinging a golf club, or turning a doorknob. It is also essential in the functioning of machines, such as engines and motors, where torque is used to produce rotational motion.