How do you know if someone far away is walking towards you or away

• Thread starter Perrault
  • Start date
In summary, this trivial conversation contains information about how to determine if someone is walking towards or away from you based on their body size. You rely on your eyesight and ears.
Perrault
This is something trivial that has been bugging me for a while. When someone is far ahead of you on a sidewalk, you see their arms swinging and feet beating the ground. But how can you make out if they are walking towards or away from you?
Suppose that I don't want to stand still for thirty seconds to see if they're getting closer.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.> Shout and ask him/her.
2.> See which direction (s)he's facing.
3.> Shoot two light beams at a time interval of your preference and see if the second one comes back after a shorter or longer period of time.
4.> Run towards him/her and find out.
5.> Can't think of any other silly suggestions... wait, so just see if the hands swing more towards you or away from you. Oh and lie down on the road and check if you can see his/her soles if yes the person's moving towards you.

You have to rely on your eyesight. If your sight isn't good enough, you won't be able to tell.
Or maybe you could see the direction shadows travel over the person. Back to front if they're walking away from you, and front to back if they're walking towards you.

leroyjenkens said:
You have to rely on your eyesight. If your sight isn't good enough, you won't be able to tell.
Or maybe you could see the direction shadows travel over the person. Back to front if they're walking away from you, and front to back if they're walking towards you.
NOT necessarily:You can use your ears too, provided that they are extremely good. If the sound of his footsteps is getting louder or its frequency is getting higher then the person is moving towards you else he is moving away from you.

Don't mind me -I'm on a sugar and caffeine high!

increasing frequency would means his speed is increasing towards you. If they are walking at a constant velocity towards you, their frequency will be constant.

WOOPSSS! Had added the freq. at the last moment. Note to self: always mention what I mean and generalize...I art iDiot.

I think the question means in principle - how can you tell if something is moving towards or away from your position if it's too far to tell from simple geometry.

I think really the only physical way is to use Doppler shift of some kind, be it sounds, light, or some other medium. This is the best tool astronomers have for this same problem.

For constant velocity, doppler shift only works if you get passed by them.

never mind...

Pythagorean said:
For constant velocity, doppler shift only works if you get passed by them.

Doppler shift of a reflected wave which you know the original frequency, or an emitted wave which you know the frequency of in the laboratory frame, such as an emission line. I don't think astronomers have to wait for galaxies to pass us by to measure their Doppler shift.

Galaxies aren't constant velocity, they change direction. That's what allows us to define red/blue shift. An object with a constant velocity never shifts (until it passes you: then it's as if its velocity reversed relative to you)

er, wait, I'm talking about orbiting bodies :P

but yeah, if you know the frequency of your source, you can determine direction and velocity, agreed.

lisab said:

“The data was irrefutable in demonstrating that when someone standing directly in front of you begins walking away, their body does not, as previously assumed, gradually shrink before eventually disappearing entirely,” said Dr. David Pinard, lead author of the study. “Rather, our findings indicate that they maintain their original size regardless of how tiny they may appear.”
This does not square with SR, where there are no preferred inertial frames. They only maintain their original size in their inertial frame. In your inertial frame, they are, in fact, shrinking down to tiny little people.

Mmmm...don't think so, the people will just suffer lorntz. contr. only in direction of motion, becoming thin not tiny...

zoobyshoe said:
This does not square with SR, where there are no preferred inertial frames. They only maintain their original size in their inertial frame. In your inertial frame, they are, in fact, shrinking down to tiny little people.

The onion is a satirical newspaper...

Enigman said:
Mmmm...don't think so, the people will just suffer lorntz. contr. only in direction of motion, becoming thin not tiny...
Don't tell me they don't become tiny. I can see with my own eyes that they become tiny.

Likes 1 person
Okay, not telling you that they become tiny! Any way, observing them will make the quantum state collapse.
Please don't observe people or the cat may die.

As pointed out by others, it's not so immediate. For visual checks, aircrafts use lights of different color on the tipwings, so that one can easily determine its direction looking at them.

Enigman said:
Okay, not telling you that they become tiny! Any way, observing them will make the quantum state collapse.
Please don't observe people or the cat may die.
When you observe the person turn around and walk back toward you, the cat comes back to life. This can be repeated as many as nine times.

Likes 1 person
zoobyshoe said:
When you observe the person turn around and walk back toward you, the cat comes back to life. This can be repeated as many as nine times.
:rofl::rofl:

1. How do you determine the direction of someone walking far away from you?

The direction of someone walking far away from you can be determined by observing the angles at which their body is moving. If their body is facing towards you, they are likely walking towards you. If their body is facing away from you, they are likely walking in the opposite direction.

2. What other factors can affect the perception of someone's walking direction from a distance?

Other factors that can affect the perception of someone's walking direction from a distance include the speed at which they are walking, the terrain they are walking on, and any obstructions or obstacles that may obstruct their path.

3. Can sound be used to determine someone's walking direction from a distance?

Yes, sound can be used to determine someone's walking direction from a distance. By listening to the sound of their footsteps, you can determine if they are getting closer or farther away from you. Additionally, the direction of the sound can also give you an idea of their walking direction.

4. How accurate is visual perception in determining someone's walking direction from a distance?

Visual perception can be accurate in determining someone's walking direction from a distance, but it may not always be reliable. Factors such as lighting conditions, distance, and obstructions can affect the accuracy of visual perception. It is best to combine visual observation with other cues, such as sound, for a more accurate determination of someone's walking direction.

5. Are there any technologies or devices that can aid in determining someone's walking direction from a distance?

Yes, there are technologies and devices such as motion detectors, radar systems, and thermal imaging cameras that can aid in determining someone's walking direction from a distance. These technologies use different methods, such as detecting movement, emitting radio waves, or capturing heat signatures, to track and determine the direction of a person's movement.