How does an anal fissure cause the anal sphincter to spasm?

• Thread starter bluemoonKY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, anal sphincter spasms are a result of the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm. This delayed pain after a bowel movement as a result of anal sphincter spasms is apparently fairly common with anal fissures.
bluemoonKY
I have an anal fissure. When I have a bowel movement, I don't feel any pain while I'm having the bowel movement or even a few minutes later. I start to feel pain about 30 minutes after the bowel movement. I have researched this on the internet, and I have discovered that my delayed pain after a bowel movement is a result of my anal sphincter spasming. This delayed pain after a bowel movement as a result of anal sphincter spasms is apparently fairly common with anal fissures.

What I don't understand is why would a bowel movement cause the anal sphincter to spasm.

When a person has an anal fissure, why does his or her anal sphincter spasm after a bowel movement?

Biology news on Phys.org
The spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphinters,that is a part of reflex arc,due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm.This is a protective reflex,infact dre and proctoscopy is contraindicated in this medical condition.

prasant, you started "the spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphincters." Well, yeah, a spasm is a contraction. That does not explain anything to me. Then you said the contraction of sphincters is part of a reflex arc, due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm. What in the nation does that mean?

What is a reflex arc?

bluemoonKY said:
What is a reflex arc?

We think all actions are results from signals send from the brain. That's not always the case. Other originate from the spinal cord. A reflex is purely mediated through the spinal cord.

bluemoonKY said:
prasant, you started "the spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphincters." Well, yeah, a spasm is a contraction. That does not explain anything to me. Then you said the contraction of sphincters is part of a reflex arc, due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm. What in the nation does that mean?

It means that if I suffer brain death, my anal sphincter will still suffer spasm whenever I have bowel motions or when a doctor does a digital rectal exam on me. I won't feel the pain though cause I'll be brain dead remember? :)

1. What is an anal fissure?

An anal fissure is a small tear or cut in the lining of the anus. It can occur from passing hard or large stools, chronic diarrhea, or trauma to the anus.

2. How does an anal fissure cause the anal sphincter to spasm?

The anal sphincter is a muscle that controls the opening and closing of the anus. When an anal fissure is present, the muscle can become irritated and inflamed, leading to spasms. These spasms are the body's way of protecting the area and preventing further injury.

3. What are the symptoms of a spastic anal sphincter?

The symptoms of a spastic anal sphincter include pain or discomfort in the anus, difficulty passing stools, and bleeding. Some people may also experience involuntary tightening or contractions of the muscle, making it difficult to relax the sphincter.

4. Can a spastic anal sphincter be treated?

Yes, a spastic anal sphincter can be treated. The first step is to address the underlying cause, such as healing the anal fissure. Other treatments may include using muscle relaxants or topical medications to help relax the sphincter and reduce spasms. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary.

5. How can I prevent an anal fissure from causing spasms in the anal sphincter?

The best way to prevent this from happening is to maintain good anal hygiene and avoid straining during bowel movements. Eating a high-fiber diet and staying hydrated can also help prevent constipation, which can contribute to the development of anal fissures. If you are prone to anal fissures, it is important to address them promptly to avoid the development of spasms in the anal sphincter.