Reading Smythe's book on static and dynamic electricity

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with derivations in Smythe's book on "static and dynamic electricity" and seeking help. They mention an error in Gauss's electric flux theorem and difficulty obtaining the expression for N. Another person suggests trying a newer book with clearer derivations, such as Griffiths or Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics. They also mention a new book, "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin, which is similar to Smythe's but less complicated.
Nakis
reading Smythe's book on "static and dynamic electricity"

Hi,

I am reading Smythe's book on "static and dynamic electricity" (1st edition, 1939) and I'm having trouble deriving some of the formulas. I wonder if someone already corrected that. For instance,

1.10 - Gauss's electric flux theorem. The expression for the normal flux component has a superfluous K : [tex] dN = E_n \cdot dS[/tex]
1.101 - I can't seem to obtain the expression for N, unless if [tex]sin^2(\alpha) = 2 \cdot (1 - cos(\alpha))[/tex] (actually : [tex] 1- cos(2\alpha) = 2 \cdot sin^2(\alpha)[/tex]).

thanks,

Nakis

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you try a newer high level EM book with clearer derivations than Smythe.
No trig is needed to derive Gauss's law.

Check your library for Griffiths.

I personally like the Schwartz Principles of Electrodynamics. His arguements are very physical, and he more or less teaches you the basics of special relativity at a very natural point in the book; the middle, not as an afterthought.

Griffiths is lower level than Smythe. Schwartz has a great book, but starting with SR doesn't help electrostatics. There is a new book "Classical Electromagnetism"
by Franklin (Addison-Wesley) that is close to Smythe's (or Jackson's) level with less complication.

1. What is the main focus of Smythe's book on static and dynamic electricity?

The main focus of Smythe's book is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the concepts of static and dynamic electricity, including their properties, behavior, and applications.

2. Who is the target audience for Smythe's book?

The book is primarily aimed at students and researchers in the field of electrical engineering and physics, but it can also be a valuable resource for anyone interested in learning about electricity.

3. Does the book cover both static and dynamic electricity?

Yes, the book covers both static and dynamic electricity in detail, including topics such as electric charge, electric fields, electric potential, electric currents, and electromagnetic induction.

4. Are there any real-world examples or applications included in Smythe's book?

Yes, the book includes numerous real-world examples and applications of static and dynamic electricity, such as the functioning of electronic devices, power generation and transmission, and electromagnetic waves.

5. Is Smythe's book suitable for beginners in the field of electricity?

Yes, the book is written in a clear and accessible language, making it suitable for beginners in the field of electricity. However, some basic knowledge of physics and mathematics may be helpful in understanding the concepts presented in the book.