Mind & Brain Scienes forum open; Logic forum merger

• Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
In summary, the Mind & Brain Sciences forum has been opened, the Logic forum has been merged with Philosophy of Science & Mathematics forum, and some subtitle changes have been made for the Social Sciences forum.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Mind & Brain Scienes" forum open; "Logic" forum merger

We have some exciting new forum rearrangements to announce!

A new forum called https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149 [Broken] has been opened in the Other Sciences category. Here we can discuss various topics and disciplines in mind and brain studies, including (cognitive) psychology, (cognitive) neuroscience, consciousness studies, A.I. and other relevant computer sciences, and linguistics. We want the forum to be primarily scientifically oriented, but some related disciplines like phenomenology, meditation, and philosophy of mind can also be discussed here. (I will be writing a new thread soon discussing what kinds of philosophy will be appropriate for Mind & Brain Sciences.) Some threads from other forums have been moved into this new forum to give it a bit of a head start.

In other news, since the Logic forum in Philosophy has been seeing little traffic of late, it has been merged together with Philosophy of Science & Mathematics forum. The new forum, appropriately enough, is called Philosophy of Science, Mathematics, and Logic.

Also note some subtitle changes for the Social Sciences forum. Psychology is no longer listed under Social Sciences, but rather under Mind & Brain Sciences (although depending on the subject, some psychology topics can still be discussed in Social Sciences). Two new entries have been added to the Social Sciences subtitle, Linguistics and Archaeology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sweet ALife included?

Unless the given topic in artificial life pertains to the brain or cognition, it probably isn't appropriate for Mind & Brain Sciences. Insofar as a-life is about modeling life, I suppose the best fit at PF would be the Biology forum.

well alife has many forms most dealing with the programming of populations rather than the mechanical processese within an individual. That is to say alife studies the interactions amongst a individual and its society(ie selforganizaion in society)...which is a part of cognition i guess.

neurocomp2003 said:
well alife has many forms most dealing with the programming of populations rather than the mechanical processese within an individual. That is to say alife studies the interactions amongst a individual and its society(ie selforganizaion in society)...which is a part of cognition i guess.

Sounds like Social Sciences to me. :smile: There might be some alife topics appropriate for the new forum-- I'm not particularly familiar with the whole range of what is studied in alife so I can't rule everything out-- just use good judgment in choosing where to post what.

All I can say to this is that it's about damn time. I suggested creating an "Integrated Cognitive and Neurosciences" forum well over a year ago. Thanks, though.

Cool beans. (Does hypnagogue have a new signature too?)

Cool! I'll have to start paying more attention around here before I get lost in the halls with all the rearranging going on! :biggrin: Does this mean topics in social sciences and biology that deal with neurosciences and psychology will get moved to the new forum? I guess I better just go looking around and see what other remodeling has been going around while I've been kept away by dial-up at a snail's crawl.

Edit: Woo hoo! I just took a look over there, and after a few moments of thinking, "That's all you moved here?" I then realized that I had my settings showing only a month's worth of threads, so once I reset that, I saw all the hard work hypnagogue has done moving SO MANY threads over there! All my favorites in one place now. :biggrin: :approve: This should save a lot of trouble shuffling topics around since those were always the troublesome ones of choosing a category for something that started out as cognitive psychology and turned into a neuroscience discussion and then belonged in some limbo between social sciences and biology. Now they all have a home. :approve: :smile:

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Does this mean topics in social sciences and biology that deal with neurosciences and psychology will get moved to the new forum?

I've actually been pretty conservative with what I've moved into the forum thus far. For instance, I left a couple of recent threads about neurotransmitters and the evolution of the brain in the Biology forum since these threads seem to be as good of a fit in Bio as they would be in M&B. For consistency's sake, though, it might be a good idea to move all brain related bio stuff into M&B. What do you think?

As far as psychology goes, I think there are some psych topics that are a more natural fit in Social Sciences, such as social psychology. I'm also more inclined to leave psych threads in SS if they are intimately bound up with wider social issues or controversies, for instance the issue of what psychological impact video games have upon people.

That's kind of just the way I've felt it out so far, but of course other mentors and memebrs might have some different viewpoints, and input on stuff like this is always good if you (or anyone else out there reading!) have any suggestions.

Moonbear said:
Edit: Woo hoo! I just took a look over there, and after a few moments of thinking, "That's all you moved here?" I then realized that I had my settings showing only a month's worth of threads, so once I reset that, I saw all the hard work hypnagogue has done moving SO MANY threads over there! All my favorites in one place now. :biggrin: :approve: This should save a lot of trouble shuffling topics around since those were always the troublesome ones of choosing a category for something that started out as cognitive psychology and turned into a neuroscience discussion and then belonged in some limbo between social sciences and biology. Now they all have a home. :approve: :smile:

Yeah, there are a bunch of old ones in there, but as I mentioned before I was fairly conservative in what I moved, and also I only went back a few months in most cases. If anyone has suggestions for current threads I missed or goodies but very oldies that would be a good fit in M&B, drop me a PM or email, or respond in this thread.

honestrosewater said:
Cool beans. (Does hypnagogue have a new signature too?)

Nope, I've had this for a while now, though it might be time for a change soon.

hypnagogue said:
I've actually been pretty conservative with what I've moved into the forum thus far. For instance, I left a couple of recent threads about neurotransmitters and the evolution of the brain in the Biology forum since these threads seem to be as good of a fit in Bio as they would be in M&B. For consistency's sake, though, it might be a good idea to move all brain related bio stuff into M&B. What do you think?
Since we've gone all out and created a special forum for those topics, I think it would be best to move them over from biology. I didn't look if anyone thought to do it already, but a sticky in the biology forum announcing the mind-brain forum and instructing people asking about those topics to go there would 1) help advertise the new forum, and 2) clarify why topics are suddenly being moved (and maybe help direct people to post in the new forum to ease up the burden on the mentors to have to keep moving those discussions over). A similar sticky in Social Sciences should also be put up for the same reason. I don't think the people over there always get way back here to see what's going on in feedback, so stickies in the affected forums will help with that.

Those stickies are a good idea. Thanks, I'll get on that.

1. What is the purpose of merging the Mind & Brain Sciences forum with the Logic forum?

The purpose of merging these two forums is to create a platform for interdisciplinary discussions and collaborations between experts in the fields of mind and brain sciences and logic. This merger will allow for a more comprehensive understanding of the complex relationship between the mind and the brain, and how logic plays a role in this relationship.

2. How will this merger benefit members of both forums?

This merger will benefit members of both forums by providing a larger and more diverse community for discussions and collaborations. It will also allow for the sharing of knowledge and expertise from both fields, leading to a deeper understanding and potential breakthroughs in research and theories.

3. Will there be any changes to the forum structure or rules after the merger?

There may be some minor changes to the forum structure and rules to accommodate the merger, but the overall goal is to maintain a user-friendly and inclusive platform for discussions and collaborations.

4. Are there any specific topics that will be focused on in the merged forum?

The merged forum will cover a wide range of topics related to mind and brain sciences and logic, including but not limited to cognitive psychology, neuroscience, philosophy of mind, and formal logic. Members are encouraged to contribute and discuss any relevant topics within these fields.

5. How can I get involved in the merged forum?

If you are interested in joining the merged forum, simply create an account and start participating in discussions and collaborations. You can also contribute by sharing your expertise and knowledge on relevant topics and by suggesting new ideas for the forum.