Need help in determining formula for for fishing lure depth

In summary: It would be less time consuming and more accurate than trying to come up with a complicated formula.In summary, you can use a downrigger to adjust the lure depth, and a fish finder to track the lure's location.
jdub
I need help in determining trolling lure depth for fishing. I imagine this formula would have to take into account line length, lure weight, and boat speed. I'm no math wiz, so if someone can help, It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
And whether you use a downrigger and how you adjust the lure. I can't imagine how you would put all that in a formula. Maybe some kind of nomograph would be the way to go.

Jeez, how to take the fun out of fishing!
If you're going to such extremes, why not just mount a bottom-scanning sonar unit on the lure? A huge part of the sport is knowing, and feeling where things should be. You'd might as well go with the old tried-and-true dynamite approach.

Danger said:
If you're going to such extremes, why not just mount a bottom-scanning sonar unit on the lure? A huge part of the sport is knowing, and feeling where things should be. You'd might as well go with the old tried-and-true dynamite approach.

Did you ever think there might be a good reason for the RCMP watching you?:biggrin:

TVP45 said:
Did you ever think there might be a good reason for the RCMP watching you?:biggrin:

Never doubted it for a moment. :uhh:

Danger said:

Cause that costs money. No for real, I would like a basic formula to see what depth my lures are running at when trolling. Trust me, it doesn't take the fun out of fishing.

Sorry, Jdub; I misunderstood your original question. I thought that you were looking for a way to mechanically regulate the depth other than a simple 'bobber'.
I suspect that a formulae would be too complicated to bother with. There are a lot more factors involved than the ones that you mentioned. Water density, including salinity and temperature, would have a large impact, in conjunction with the hydrodynamic properties of the lure. Some lures that I have are made to dive deeper as they move faster, while most are the opposite. If you want just a rough idea based upon one particular lure, it might not be too bad.
I'm wondering if you could just rent a 'fish finder' sonar unit for a day or so and run some field tests tracking your lures at various speeds. Then you could print up a chart to carry around with you.

1. What factors determine the depth of a fishing lure?

The depth of a fishing lure is determined by several factors, including the weight and shape of the lure, the speed at which it is retrieved, and the type of fishing line used. The depth can also be affected by the water temperature and the presence of any obstacles or structures in the water.

2. How can I calculate the depth of a fishing lure?

There are various methods that can be used to calculate the depth of a fishing lure, but one common approach is to use a depth chart. This chart takes into account the factors mentioned above and provides an estimated depth for a particular lure based on the fishing conditions.

3. What is the best depth to fish for different types of fish?

The best depth to fish for different types of fish can vary depending on the species, time of year, and location. It is important to research the specific fish you are targeting and consult local fishing guides or experts for the best depth to fish for that particular species.

4. How can I adjust the depth of my fishing lure?

The depth of a fishing lure can be adjusted by changing the speed of retrieval, using a different weight or size of lure, or by using a different type of fishing line. Experimenting with these factors can help you find the desired depth for your lure.

5. What are some techniques for fishing at different depths?

Some techniques for fishing at different depths include using a depth finder to locate fish, adjusting the weight of your lure, using different types of lures for different depths, and varying the speed of retrieval. It is important to also pay attention to the behavior of the fish and adjust your techniques accordingly.