Solving Tricky Integral Homework Problem

• Thread starter Appa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of x(1/\Pi)(1/(1+x2)dx from -b to b. The integral of 1/(1+x2) is known to be arctan(x) but the person is unsure of how to proceed. It is suggested to use the equation \intf(x)g(x)dx = F(x)g(x) - \intF(x)g'(x)dx, but the integral of arctan(x) cannot be computed. It is then realized that the function is odd and the interval of integration is from -b to b, making it a simple integral. Suggestions are given to use a substitution or to simply observe that the function is odd
Appa

Homework Statement

I should find this integral:
[tex]\int[/tex]b x(1/[tex]\Pi[/tex])(1/(1+x2)dx
-b

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex]1/(1+x2)dx = arctan(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

The Only thing I've succeeded in doing is to take the 1/[tex]\Pi[/tex] and put it in front of the integral like this:
(1/[tex]\Pi[/tex])[tex]\int[/tex]b (x/(1+x2)dx
-b
And I know that the integral of 1/(1+x2) equals arctan(x) but how could that help me? I've tried to use the equation
[tex]\int[/tex]f(x)g(x)dx = F(x)g(x) - [tex]\int[/tex]F(x)g'(x)dx
but I can't compute the integral of arctan(x).
Could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the integral?
[tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-b}^b{\frac{x}{x^2 + 1}dx[/tex]

If so, you can use a simple substitution, u = x^2 + 1, and du = 2xdx

BTW, you should have posted this in the Calculus & Beyond forum. This problem clearly falls in that area.

Seems kind of weird to be doing that integral from -b to b, whether or not b > 0 or < 0 you get into complex numbers.

Perhaps the easiest way is to observe this function is odd, and look at the interval of integration.

NoMoreExams said:
Seems kind of weird to be doing that integral from -b to b, whether or not b > 0 or < 0 you get into complex numbers.
No, you don't. You are squaring not taking square roots. As Mark44 said, use the substitution u= x2+ 1. Or, even simpler, use Gib Z's suggestion. This is really a very simple integral.

Oh duh, good point.

Yeah, sorry, I got it myself pretty soon after posting this. It feels like the more I study maths, the more I forget..!

1. What is an integral and why is it important in math?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is important in math because it allows us to find the total value or quantity of a continuously changing variable, such as the distance traveled by an object with varying speed.

2. How can one approach solving tricky integral homework problems?

The best approach is to first understand the fundamental concepts of integration and then practice solving various types of problems. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, simpler steps and use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to solve them.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include the constant of integration, not using the correct substitution or integration technique, and making calculation errors. It is important to check your work and understand the fundamental concepts to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I check if my solution to an integral problem is correct?

You can check your solution by taking the derivative of your answer and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use online integration calculators to verify your solution. Additionally, checking your answer with the given problem or using multiple techniques to solve the problem can help ensure accuracy.

5. What are some resources for getting help with tricky integral homework problems?

There are many online resources available, such as video tutorials, practice problems with solutions, and forums where you can ask for help from other students or experts. Your teacher or professor may also be a valuable resource for understanding and solving tricky integral problems.