Up/down electron gun construction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the production of spin up and spin down electrons for a project that requires an equal amount of both types. The use of a spin analyzer and spintronics is mentioned, as well as the possibility of using a tesla coil or CRT electron gun as an electron source in ambient atmosphere. The limitations of using an electron gun in air are also mentioned.
taylaron
Gold Member
up/down electron gun construction??

Greetings!
I'm working on a project that Requires a roughly equal number of up and down spin electrons to be injected into a (vacuum or ATP) chamber. Is there a common device that does this? If not, would it be possible to build one and how would it work? I'm familiar with how electrons in certain devices are produced by "boiling" electrons off a hot tungsten wire, but what is the ratio of up to down spin electrons?

Thanks,
Taylaron

Physics news on Phys.org

Here is a website that explains how spin up and spin down electrons are produced and also, how a spin analyzer is constructed:
http://web.utk.edu/~cnattras/Phys250Fall2012/modules/module%203/spin.htm

Here is website describing an experiment where the electrons’ spin is used to store data using “spintronics”:

“In the prototype device, electrons pass into the polymer, and a magnetic field orients them as spin up or spin down. The electrons can then pass into the conventional magnetic layer, but only if the spin of electrons there are oriented in the same way. If they are not, the resistance is too high for the electrons to pass. So the researchers were able to read spin data from their device based on whether the resistance was high or low.”
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100809171533.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

taylaron said:
I'm familiar with how electrons in certain devices are produced by "boiling" electrons off a hot tungsten wire, but what is the ratio of up to down spin electrons?
Do you have any reason to expect a preferred polarization there? Without an external magnetic field, you do not even have a meaningful direction to say "this is up".

mfb said:
Do you have any reason to expect a preferred polarization there? Without an external magnetic field, you do not even have a meaningful direction to say "this is up".

Are you suggesting that there are roughly equal amounts of up/down spin electrons from a source utilizing thermonic emission? If it's safe to assume that the spins of each emitted electron are random, then that would be acceptable to me. In my experiment I don't need to readily distinguish between up and down electrons, only that there exist roughly equal amounts.

Thanks!

Since the spins of the electrons from the electron gun are randomly oriented, 50% of the electrons in the beam are deflected upward and the other 50% are deflected downward. Before the magnet we cannot predict whether an individual electron will be deflected upward or downward. But after an electron has passed through the magnet, we know the z-component of its spin. We have constructed a spin analyzer.
http://web.utk.edu/~cnattras/Phys250Fall2012/modules/module%203/spin.htm

Perfect! Thanks Bobbywhy!

Last edited by a moderator:

If I wanted to make an electron gun in the ambient atmosphere, could I use the negative terminal of a tesla coil or flyback transformer as the electron source, then use a series of HV plates to accelerate the electrons like a traditional electron uses? Could I even bust off the ends of a CRT electron gun, replace the tungsten element with the output of the tesla coil? Does the electron emission of a tesla coil even compare to that of a CRT monitor’s tungsten element?

taylaron said:
If I wanted to make an electron gun in the ambient atmosphere, could I use the negative terminal of a tesla coil or flyback transformer as the electron source, then use a series of HV plates to accelerate the electrons like a traditional electron uses? Could I even bust off the ends of a CRT electron gun, replace the tungsten element with the output of the tesla coil? Does the electron emission of a tesla coil even compare to that of a CRT monitor’s tungsten element?

You realize that electrons cannot go anywhere without running into air molecules right? At best you would have an electric current that ionizes the air.

You can have moving electrons in gas - but it will not look like a gun, you get something similar to a drift chamber.

1. What is an Up/down electron gun?

An Up/down electron gun is a type of electron gun used in cathode ray tubes (CRTs) to produce a focused beam of electrons. It consists of a cathode, a control grid, and an anode, and is used to create the images seen on CRT displays.

2. How is an Up/down electron gun constructed?

An Up/down electron gun is constructed by first creating a cathode, which is typically made of a material such as tungsten or nickel. This cathode is then heated to emit electrons, which are then focused by a control grid and accelerated towards an anode. The anode is typically made of a conductive material such as aluminum or copper.

3. What is the purpose of the control grid in an Up/down electron gun?

The control grid in an Up/down electron gun is used to focus the electron beam. By applying a voltage to the control grid, the electrons can be controlled and directed towards the anode, allowing for precise focusing of the electron beam.

4. What factors affect the performance of an Up/down electron gun?

The performance of an Up/down electron gun can be affected by several factors, including the voltage applied to the control grid, the distance between the cathode and the anode, and the material and shape of the anode. The quality of the image produced by the CRT display is also influenced by the performance of the electron gun.

5. How does an Up/down electron gun differ from other types of electron guns?

An Up/down electron gun differs from other types of electron guns in its design and construction. Unlike a single beam electron gun, which emits a single beam of electrons, an Up/down electron gun produces two beams of electrons that can be controlled independently. This allows for more precise control and manipulation of the electron beam, resulting in better image quality on the CRT display.