Double Integral and Polar, Really Need Help in the next few hours

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the integral ∫ ∫ (2+(x^2)+(y^2))dxdy over the region R={x,y}:(x^2)+(y^2)≤4,x≥0,y≥0}. The region R is a quarter of a circular disc with radius r=2 that lies in the fourth quadrant. The limits of the angle are from 3∏/2 to 2∏, and the minimal radius is 0 while the maximal radius is 2. The area element in polar coordinates is r*drd(theta), and the integrand can be represented as (2+r^2)drd(theta). The integral is radially
BenMcC
I have this problem and I cannot even begin to start it. I have to hand it in today in a few hours, and I have been stuck on it for what seems like for ever. It reads:

By using polar coordinates evaluate:

∫ ∫ (2+(x^2)+(y^2))dxdy
R

where R={x,y}:(x^2)+(y^2)≤4,x≥0,y≥0} Hint: The region R is the quarter of a circular disc with radius r=2 that lies in the fourth quadrant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what else to do. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the limits on the radius and the angular variable? (By what you have written, this lies in the first quadrant, not the fourth)

It only states that the radius, r=2. And since it's in the fourth quadrant, the limits of the angle would be just 3∏/2 to 2∏ I believe. But I have no idea how to set up this problem

Why not?
1. What is the area element in polar coordinates?
2. How is the integrand to be represented in polar coordinates?
3. The maximal radius equals 2. What is the minimal radius?

I typed the entire problem as it is on the assignment. There's nothing else with this problem

BenMcC said:
I typed the entire problem as it is on the assignment. There's nothing else with this problem
Yes.
And you ought to know, by what you have learnt, how to:
1. Replace the quadratic area element with the proper polar coordinate area element.
2. Convert the integrand into a function of the polar coordinates.
3. How to set up the new limits of the integral.

What I tried with this problem:
R:x≥0,y≥0
R≤4, so x^2+y^2≤4
-2≤x≤2, -sqrt(4-x^2)≤y≤sqrt(4-x^2)

The integral looked like
2∏
∫ ∫ (2+r^2)dr dθ
3∏/2 R

My professor does not give good notes, so I can't really follow his examples

arildno has given you such big hints.
1.dxdy in polar becomes rdrd(theta)
2.(2+(x^2)+(y^2)) is your surface function,simply put x=rcos(theta) and y=rsin(theta) in the function of (x,y)-because theta is measured wrt. x-axis.
3.you have to think in terms of r and (theta).Your region (which is a quarter circle on the x-y plane-1st quadrant) can be covered completely if you vary r between 0 and 2 and (theta) between 0 and pi/2.
Try visualizing the situation.
PS:I may be wrong.

Last edited:
BenMcC said:
What I tried with this problem:
R:x≥0,y≥0
R≤4, so x^2+y^2≤4
-2≤x≤2, -sqrt(4-x^2)≤y≤sqrt(4-x^2)

The integral looked like
2∏
∫ ∫ (2+r^2)dr dθ
3∏/2 RMy professor does not give good notes, so I can't really follow his examples

Remember that the area element is r*drd(theta).

The integral is radially symmetric, so it doesn't really matter if you integrate in the fourth quadrant or the first. (But the inequalities you gave for x and y denotes the first, not the fourth)

And, the limit on r is from 0 to 2

Last edited:
I ended up working it out and got an answer of 8pi+1/2. Not entirely confident in that answer

What was your integrand?
Notice that the integration with respect to the angular variable gives you the factor pi/2
This is then multiplied with your result from the r-integration.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the volume under a curved surface in a two-dimensional space. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of calculating the area under a curve, it calculates the volume under a curved surface.

2. What is the difference between a double integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve in a one-dimensional space, while a double integral calculates the volume under a curved surface in a two-dimensional space. Additionally, a double integral requires two variables for integration, whereas a regular integral only requires one variable.

3. How is a double integral evaluated?

A double integral is evaluated by first setting up the limits of integration for both variables, usually in the form of a rectangular region. Then, the integral is evaluated using either the iterated integral method or the double integral method. The result is a single value representing the volume under the curved surface.

4. What is polar coordinates and how is it related to double integrals?

Polar coordinates are a different way of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin and an angle. In double integrals, polar coordinates can make certain integrals easier to evaluate, especially when the region of integration is circular or has rotational symmetry.

5. Why is it important to understand double integrals and polar coordinates?

Double integrals and polar coordinates are important concepts in mathematics and physics, as they are used to calculate volumes, areas, and other quantities in two-dimensional spaces. They are also essential in understanding more complex mathematical concepts such as vector calculus and multivariate calculus.